Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 10th new Honda car I've purchased new since 1983. I'm so acquainted that I've never had an extended warranty or ever a reason to use it in 36 years.

That being said, my 2015 with 23K just started behaving badly or maybe more noticeably. I'm not complaining about fluid drive vibration that others have been unhappy with. The CVT is engaging and disengaging randomly while coasting or during light acceleration and while trying to maintain speed. It doesn't seem very noticeable at speeds below 30 but it is there. The situation is amplified with speed. At seventy miles an hour its pretty disturbing. It feels like a torque converter that is indecisive. I've never opened up one of these trannys yet but do understand the principles by which it works. Car idles perfect, accelerates to speed perfectly. It's maintaining speed... A clunky feel or a disconnect of motor to trans and reconnect, repeatedly. Feeling almost as if a manual transmission car feels when lugging at low rpm.

I've read about 100 different complaints of similar description logged mostly during 2015. Everyone I read had gone unsolved except two. Both at east coast dealers. I'm taking mine in tomorrow and it's two months out of warranty. I will continue to update this as this saga continues. And if they fix it, KUDOS will bw all theirs.

Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Isn't the drive train warranty a little longer?
I could be wrong, but I'd check it out if I were you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't the drive train warranty a little longer?
I could be wrong, but I'd check it out if I were you.
I thought I had 3 years 36000 on the drive train. I'm kind of shocked that it hasn't thrown a code yet. It happens often enough that the mechanic that is going to inspect it for $140 tomorrow morning should easily feel it. This is not the CVT rumble or vibe at idle issue.
I just have the factory warranty. We'll see how they treat me. This dealer is notoriously bad, but my local dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the verification. It'll be much better knowing this. TSB 15-046 probably rectifies this. Torque converter can't make up its mind. At low speeds it can feel like cracks in the road. Higher speed on smooth highways are clear to notice. You made my day Coastie05

the crabby old hondaddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope in writing this post that it serves as hope and a positive experience for CVT CR-V owners. On 12-13-18 I went into Schaumburg Honda with complaints about rumble in the drivetrain and some indecisiveness of picking a suitable variable ratio at coasting, any speed above 30mph. Honda's TSB 15-046 shows Honda's admission of three different problems and scenarios. A smart young service advisor, Anthony Gargano listened to my issues carefully and took the action of TSB 16-052 which is the most current PCM update for this model.

This car had never been to the dealer ever in it's 40 months and 23K mi. The initial $140 inspection fee was waived due to the TSB. This was a relief because the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper had expired. I had read at least 70 different descriptions of what might had been the same issue go unresolved. The two that I read with the happy ending were fixed on TSB 15-046 with "mode 1 and mode 3 repairs" for 2 different issues. Mine had closely resembled the "mode 3 problem. Apparently TSB 16-052 superseded the previous.

They loaded the PCM with some new parameters. My first time driving I was apprehensive about saying oh this is much better. But it is. The acceleration seems less lethargic. And it will probably burn more gas. However it is more pleasurable to drive. For three years I have described this drivetrain as twitchy. Seems like it's easier to drive or maybe it's that my mind is at ease for the time being. I'm just mad for waiting so long to raise some hell. At 4k and 11k they said it was still breaking in.

So go get this update for yours. You will be surprised of the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts