Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
How often should the oil be changed on my CRV (mileage/time)? The oil required is full synthetic 0w20, right? Also how is the oil life percentage calculated- is it based on a certain mileage interval? If so then what is the interval? My oil life is currently at 15%.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
541 Posts
I would change it when it said 15% as MM comes up.. My oil were solid black at that interval(10-12 months for us), so I would try not to go beyond that IMO.

·
Registered
705 Posts
2006 Owners manual (1st year with Mile Minder that I owned) says no more than 6 months or MM whichever is first. Reason - water/fuel in oil can damage engine if longer than 6 months. I doubt that new oils solve that issue - they solve engine wear issues, not contamination.

Newer Owners manuals have nothing but MM.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
Following the MM I have seen over 8600 miles ( all interstate) before I chickened out and changed it early to a minimum of 6600 miles with many short town trips.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Oil life percentage is based on factors in addition to miles traveled. Of course we don’t know for sure, but it’s likely total engine revs, amount of fuel used, number of cold starts, outside temperature, average trip length and similar factors are used to try to customize the oil change interval to the car’s environment. This is all done via an algorithm, so the oil itself is never evaluated.

How good Honda’s algorithm is is a reasonable question, especially as it doesn’t seem the logic has changed since Honda introduced direct fuel injection (2015 + CRV), which contributes significantly to fuel dilution

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks for the info, I thought it was scheduled to come after after a certain mileage interval, didn't know it was so complex. Also just to clarify are all 0W20 synthetic ?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
ok thanks for the info, I thought it was scheduled to come after after a certain mileage interval, didn't know it was so complex. Also just to clarify are all 0W20 synthetic ?
I think it was on BTOG that I read that only synthetics are rated 0W and it isn't possible to make a 0W weight dino oil.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I don't consider 'blends' to be dino oil. They may contain dino oil but they aren't pure dino oil.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
Y'all are cracking me up! From what I've watched a Youtube they say that a "synthetic blend" could contain only 1% of synthetic oil and 99% dino oil but they get to up sell it because it says synthetic, however, there is no way to know what the mixture really contains. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
541 Posts
Most major big name brand will tell you if it is full synthetic or blend as they have different versions at difference price range. I would just stick with full synthetic and be done with it. No need to figure out if it is 50%, or 0.01% syn.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You are correct. But reality intervenes at some point. For example, it’s not possible to make a synthetic blend 0w-20 without a large (e.g >50%) portion of synthetic. And in order to meet current standards even oils in a less-difficult viscosity that are regarded as “conventional” contain some synthetic.

For the really curious, most oil makers’ websites allow access MSDS documents for each product/viscosity. These usually outline what’s in the base oil. (You may have to do a bit of Googling to get through the terminology tho.)

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for clarifying that Dan, I assumed that all 0w20 are full synthetic. I will be sure to ask my dealer is it’s synthetic blend or synthetic when I get my oil changed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My dealer used "bulk oil". The next time I'm there I will have to inquire as to the brand they use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts