Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we traded our 2012 Pilot that had Homelink and like most, can't believe CRV EX-L models don't have it. Come on, Honda...

I think (hope) I've came with a decent solution, but need someone with an electronics background to validate it. I want to utilize the empty switch location on the bottom left of the dash (drivers side). There are two OEM buttons there - TPMS reset and Traction Control. The middle location is vacant.

I have a Chamberlain garage door opener with two small rectangular remotes. I popped one open and it has very small momentary switch. I want to order a TPMS button and solder two wires to its contacts and to the switch's contacts in the remote. In the end, I'll have another TPMS button (I'll probably remove the TMPS 'logo' from it) that serves as a factory-look garage door opener.

I assume the TPMS switch is a momentary switch. Does this sound right? If it is, will it's circuitry effectively close the very low voltage circuit?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hmmmmm.....very interesting! This is one of my beefs too. Let us know how this works out for you. Pictures woul be good too. Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Get a Kia or Hyundia auto dim mirror with homelink and the Honda CR-V auto-dim wiring kit and your mirror will have homelink. They look exactly like the Honda auto-dim mirror but have the 3 homelink buttons.

That is what I did for my CR-V EX-L. used mirrors with homelink are in the $60 range on eBay. Make sure you get one with a pigtail to splice into the Honda Wiring harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I miss homelink as well - I am going the Gentex 453 route myself. From what I have read, a Toyota, Subaru or Nissan mirror will fit on the CR-V without any adapters. I also got the pigtail. From what I can tell - it's 3 wires to hook up the mirror. I plan to try and tap either under the dome light or worst case run it down to fuse box or steering column.

Something else cool I saw someone do is hook up the garage door opener to his highbeams. The opener is wired up under the dash and remains there. Flash your high beams when you come home - the door opens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if the battery on the remote wears down while the high beams are on?

In any case, clipping my Chamberlain remote to the sun visor is a simple solution!

·
Registered
98 Posts
So I guess the standard garage door opener with clip is out of the question....just saying....

What about the chamberlain app?????

·
Registered
868 Posts
With modern push button start and proximity keys will we eventually see automatic door openers as we come up the driveway?

Anyway, congratulations to all of you who are lucky to have garages. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some good ideas, but I want to keep the OEM mirror. Plus, the TPMS switch is < $10, so it's quite a bit cheaper too. I just need to know if the TPMS switch will effectively close the circuit to the garage door remote.

Btw, 2CRV, good question. I think that there is potential for the battery to run down while high beams are on, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,224 Posts
Ford has the kick the butt of my car and the trunk or tailgate opens so anything could be possible

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've soldered wires to the garage door opener and run wires to a momentary switch in mt 08 Civic. Worked fine. I've found in the crv, placement of the module matters more, I think because of all the electronics in the dash. They tend to block the signal. After trying a few different spots under the dash, and then debating if I was going to hide it behind the headliner, I thought maybe the module from the touring model should pop in without too much trouble. I found one but haven't ordered it yet. Part number is: 36650T2AA11ZA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've soldered wires to the garage door opener and run wires to a momentary switch in mt 08 Civic. Worked fine. I've found in the crv, placement of the module matters more, I think because of all the electronics in the dash. They tend to block the signal. After trying a few different spots under the dash, and then debating if I was going to hide it behind the headliner, I thought maybe the module from the touring model should pop in without too much trouble. I found one but haven't ordered it yet. Part number is: 36650T2AA11ZA.
Did you ever figure out if ordering the parts for the touring, one can install in a lower trim level? I would love to do this if it ins't too hard. Did something similar in my daughter's 2012 Malibu, where GM de-featured it from 2010, but got a used module off e-bay and it slipped right in, only needing a power connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am new to the board and sew your reply on the homelink. Can you share the info on other Japanese MFG mirror will fit the 2015 CRV w/o adapter? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a 2016 CRV (LX) and I really liked the idea of using the high-beams as the trigger for a garage door opener but, didn't want the remote to work while the car was off and, I didn't want to worry about the battery in the remote dying. Here is my solution: My garage door opener takes a 3v coin battery so, I'm ordering a 12v to 3v step down (buck) that I'll wire up in place of the battery. As for the switch, I'll be running a standard bosh relay with 87 and 30 connected to the switch on the remote, 85 connected to the red negative high-beam wire (in the headlight switch plug), and 86 to the positive white accessory wire (cigarette outlet) in the center console. I have the relay hooked up and everything works perfectly, now I'm just waiting for a new remote and the step down to arrive in the mail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts