Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Honda CR-V EX came with two key FOBs. I would like a 3rd, but refuse to pay the dealer to program it. There must be a way to program a new FOB key myself. Does anyone know of the procedure?:confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe there are federal regulations dictating who has access to the equipment needed to program electronic vehicle entry devices (ie fobs). You won't find Joe Blow stereo installers or hardware store key cutters who can do the modern stuff. Alternatives to the dealer would be licensed locksmiths who have Honda compatible gear. Worth a call to see, but none of them will be as cheap as the old days.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've been searching the same thing for my daughter's 2013 that we will (hopefully) pick up today.

Looks like you can buy a blank remote button key on Amazon or eBay (Part # MLBHKIK-1T), but there are 3 issues:

1) Cutting the plunge router ("laser cut") pattern. There are machines such as the Barnes BD-Laser tool that can cut a key by the key code or by duplicating an existing key.

2) Programming the Keyless entry transmitter buttons (there may be a car programming mode accessible thru the "ignition switch dance" in combination with the power lock buttons). At least there was on our last Honda and current Toyota.

3) Programming the ignition switch immobilizer system to recognize/add the security chip embedded in the key blank. That's rarely available to the user anymore thru the "ignition switch dance". Dealer only.

There was a service that did key cloning where they made a full duplicate of your key. That key contained a custom programmable version of the embedded ROM security chip, but I don't know if this can work with newer vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To mine 2005 CR-V mk2 I bought raw key (not oem) for 32 USD, programmed myself doors by Honda ignition procedur, payed 10 USD for key cutting and 20 USD for immobilizer copy at car key maker craftsman. Poland (EU) prices.

You could buy immobilizer copy instrument google: "V45.09 CK-100 CK100 Auto Key Programmer SBB the latest generation" for 135 USD at Aliexpress. But there is no sense buing it for one key.

Probably it will work for 4 gen too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I did buy a blank key (relatively cheap on Amazon) to play with. If nothing else, once cut it could be hidden on the body somewhere for emergency lockout duty. But I'd love to have a spare key for when (the inevitable when....) my daughter loses at least one of the pair she has. Has anybody been brave enough to try one of these? Used more than once or shared with a friend the cost becomes "reasonable".

http://www.carkeydeal.com/wholesale/ck-100-auto-key-programmer-sk117.html

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bite the bullet and let the dealer do it correctly. It's not as if you're doing this on a daily basis. Craig
I ordered a new keyfob to replace the one I lost while on vacation. The dealer had it listed as compatible with my 2016 Honda CR-V Touring CVT. But it isn't. So I have to return it and wait another week. I should have just gone to Honda.

The one on the left is the one I ordered to replace keyfob #1

The one on the right is keyfob #2 (the backup).

dammit-wrong-item.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts