Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go swimming in the ocean every day. My question is:
Since the FOB is not waterproof what do I do with it when I am in the water. On my Rav4 I would just leave it inside the car and carry a key with me. In the CRV if I take the key out of the fob (to open the door when I come back) and leave the fob in the car, anyone can open the car.
At this time I have the spare fob wrapped in a lot of small plastic bags and carry it with me while swimming.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
114 Posts
After having to replace an expensive "smart key" because its battery was removed repeatedly, my wife and I bought RF bags.

The RF bags allow us to leave our key fobs in our vehicles while we enjoy the great out of doors.

To get around having to take the OEM key part of the fob with us, I bought 2 new blanks ($18ea online) and had a local locksmith cut them. These are what we take with us.

The RF bags we purchased are sold on Amazon by Select Fabricators and were $25ea. The version we bought is just large enough for 1 key fob.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Valet key?

I go swimming in the ocean every day. My question is: Since the FOB is not waterproof what do I do with it when I am in the water. On my Rav4 I would just leave it inside the car and carry a key with me. In the CRV if I take the key out of the fob (to open the door when I come back) and leave the fob in the car, anyone can open the car. At this time I have the spare fob wrapped in a lot of small plastic bags and carry it with me while swimming. Any ideas?
Our '07 and '10 each came with a gray Valet Key. They are sealed so even salt water should not affect them. They will not operate the lock on the glove box but will open the door and run the car.

Could you leave your fob at home and use the Valet key?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Maybe you could store the fob under the hood and take the door key with you so you can lock the door and unlatch the hood. I put my fob under the hood near the front of the engine and the car won't start as if I didn't have the fob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts