Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings I recently purchased a used 2015 crv and did a mobil synthetic oil change 1000 miles ago (don't know what oil previous owner used). Just read the dipstick now and had to fill an extra half quart. Is this normal for crvs? has 33k on it. What else should I be looking for. The drain pan is definitely not leaking.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would have a cow if mine was using that much oil!

Sometimes when changing the oil, mine will read normal until I run the engine a bit, then read low. Try bringing it back to full and see if the pattern repeats.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a 2016 with 46,000+ miles on it and I change the oil with Mobil 1 when the MM gets to 20% (about 10,000 miles) and the oil is still on full when I change it. It holds just under 5 quarts.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,107 Posts
Did you check the oil level after your oil change? (Just to establish a baseline, as BigD mentioned)

I'd just monitor the oil level to see if there is any significant usage. (0.5 qt per 1000 miles is well within Honda's expectations...they won't take any action until your engine uses twice that).

Our '06 uses .75 qt over 8000 miles...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Three thoughts:

First, changing brands of oil can result in increased oil consumption which typically will moderate after an oil change interval or two.

Second, if the maintenance history of your CRV is unknown, it could have been neglected and the oil control rings could be compromised. This could improve if you adhere to a relatively short oil change interval for a while.

Finally, the oil level on this engine seems really sensitive to time and temperature when measured. Honda says to check at normal operating temperature 3 minutes after shutdown. My 2015 will read noticeably higher if I wait longer and noticeably lower if I check when cold, with a max difference of maybe 1/4 quart. And, of course, checking in the same, level, spot is important to eliminate that variable.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,009 Posts
Take it to Honda and have them take a look at it. They will run a test to verify the quantity of oil being used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Losing .5 quart of oil in 1000 miles on a vehicle with only 33k total miles is NOT normal. I learned a lot about engine function from my cousin who built racing engines. My reply comes from his expertise.

If after an oil change followed by the prescribed engine running for five minutes, the oil level is at optimal, the oil level should not reduce unless a leak or oil burning is happening. That is why the engine is run for a few minutes following a change, to distribute the oil and get a correct reading.

Oil levels would go down after a short time (1000 miles is short time for me) if 1. there is leakage out the drain plug or "pan" gasket (not sure if your has the old style "pan"), 2. past the piston rings or 3. valve seals. There is nowhere else for the oil to go.

A used car huh. Makes me suspect. Sometimes people can run their cars very hard. Repeated hard accelerations from a standing stop and in general wreak havoc on pistons rings. The pistons are literally jerked hard putting all that stress on the rings. Overtime rings respond with premature wear.

Under "normal" driving, meaning not the above, rings in cars (I cannot vouch for American made 'stuff") nowadays will still be plenty tight at 33k, plenty. Valve seals should be in very good condition as well.

Another option: defective piston rings or valve seals. I suggest this would be more of a rare occurrence but not entirely out of the question. If you can get the engine exhaust emissions checked. This will surely indicate excess hyrdocarbon burn if it exists. Get a compression check first.

My 2014 CRV does not lose or burn a drop. I have just over 33k as well. I use synthetic oil as well. Superior to the dinosaur oil. I have never driven this car hard, meaning jack rabbit starts or repeated hard accelerations of another kind. The first part in an engine to go from hard driving are the piston rings.

Recommend compression check, the emission tests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.