Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my 2015 CRV is only a few months old. Has anyone had issues with the rear camera being very, rainy video when backing up at night. I understand the picture can be dark but not grainy or noisy I just had the rear camera replaced by Honda , I will be going back today. If anyone have any insights with this please let me know.
thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm no expert, but here is my guess...
The computer has some algorithm that tries to adjust for light level. I notice it more on the lane change camera, but its probably the same on backup. Notice that in early dawn, or late dusk, the camera view on the screen is actually brighter than real life in the mirrors. I think it uses some measure of light object vs dark objects and tries to adjust for some 'contrast' ratio. But when it really gets dark, it has trouble detecting something dark vs something 'almost dark' right next to it. So it blends those pixels both together and you get a grainy pic. I think it is the nature of the beast... its doing the best it can under terrible lighting conditions. Let us know what you learn from Honda.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It doesn’t sound like anything is wrong. An image or video captured in low light will indeed be grainy and noisy. That is because the camera is trying to bump up the exposure to make it bright enough for you to see. Otherwise, you’ll just see black on your screen which wouldn’t be useful at all.

What’s happening when it gets dark is your camera bumps up the ISO to increase the camera sensor’s sensitivity to light. While this gives you a bright exposure (so that you can see the image/video), this degrades image quality.

Try this with your phone’s camera. Take a video in bright daylight. Then take another video in the dark. The one in the dark will undoubtedly be grainier and nosier. It’s all due to the increased ISO. The same thing happens with your car’s camera.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It doesn’t sound like anything is wrong. An image or video captured in low light will indeed be grainy and noisy. That is because the camera is trying to bump up the exposure to make it bright enough for you to see. Otherwise, you’ll just see black on your screen which wouldn’t be useful at all.

What’s happening when it gets dark is your camera bumps up the ISO to increase the camera sensor’s sensitivity to light. While this gives you a bright exposure (so that you can see the image/video), this degrades image quality.

Try this with your phone’s camera. Take a video in bright daylight. Then take another video in the dark. The one in the dark will undoubtedly be grainier and nosier. It’s all due to the increased ISO. The same thing happens with your car’s camera.
Ditto! Right on!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts