Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any better options than the OE headlights on the touring trim? I dont quite like the look of OE lights and was hoping to install something a little more bright with minimal work since i want to install myself and i havent done it before. I had an Acura TSX before and the headlights it had were a lot brighter with a slightly bluish white color in them. Any similar upgrades for CRV without involving too much work that an inexperienced person can handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are there any better options than the OE headlights on the touring trim? I dont quite like the look of OE lights and was hoping to install something a little more bright with minimal work since i want to install myself and i havent done it before. I had an Acura TSX before and the headlights it had were a lot brighter with a slightly bluish white color in them. Any similar upgrades for CRV without involving too much work that an inexperienced person can handle?

I picked up Opt7 LED headlights and they are very good. There are a couple of other posters that went Xenon and are happy with the results. I went LED because of service life and didn't want to take a risk of Xenons melting my housings. Here is the link for the LEDs I bought.

OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDWPK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_YXMfwbNMDT55G

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check them out. How easy were they to install? I am not an experienced DIYer so was wondering how easy it is to install and what tools I would need?

Do we have other recommendations?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks, I'll check them out. How easy were they to install? I am not an experienced DIYer so was wondering how easy it is to install and what tools I would need?

Do we have other recommendations?
They were plug and play. I just zip tied the ballasts to secure them. I had it all done in less than 5 mins.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've always been interested in led systems because I like the really bright light... But it looks like all these type bulbs have a very high color temp (6K) which is too blue for me (reflects badly off snow and wet surfaces). If they made an led system in the 3.4K range that is more like the std halogen color I would be interested.

Also, has anyone ever had trouble with the cooling fans over time, either from dirt & grime or otherwise?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've always been interested in led systems because I like the really bright light... But it looks like all these type bulbs have a very high color temp (6K) which is too blue for me (reflects badly off snow and wet surfaces). If they made an led system in the 3.4K range that is more like the std halogen color I would be interested.

Also, has anyone ever had trouble with the cooling fans over time, either from dirt & grime or otherwise?
I would go with 4300k HID then. I am thinking about trying them once winter comes. But I love in California so we don't get snow and not a lot of rain.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if I am the only one who is looking to change headlight bulbs on 2015 CRV touring.

Anyone else tried different options and how was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I converted to 6000K HID's - Kensun (from amazon). Love them. Relatively easy to install. You must get the accessory wiring harness to connect to the ballasts to the battery directly. With the Auto On Headlights the ballasts need constant power to turn the bulbs on consistently. (Learned this the hard way)

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI: 5000k is true white, 4300 yellow tint and 6000k has bluish tint. Buy Phillips bulbs they last longer and are more consistent in color.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a high powered LED kit for a reasonable amount from Amazon, but I don't like the results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARSLHMO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The output of the light is very diffuse and doesn't project much in my 2015 Touring with the projector headlights. The color looks good but the range and spread is very diffuse and looks like it's more suitable for a fog light rather than a headlight.

Here's a photo of the light in the housing. As you can see, you can see the four LEDs but it just doesn't work with the projectors.
IMG_6620.jpg

I've heard good things (in another thread) about these lights and will probably give these a try. They're HIDs which are very similar to the halogens in operation so should be more suitable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FC22PVS/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DBJQIFEVJ34V

here's the thread. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/24-do-yourself-mods/80010-2015-cr-v-touring-h11-hid-installed.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder if I am the only one who is looking to change headlight bulbs on 2015 CRV touring.

Anyone else tried different options and how was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

I had posted this write-up in another discussion:

I can highly recommend XenonSupply's setup for the 15+ CR-V. Of the two main HID options on the market of 35W vs. 55W, the light output isn't dramatically changed, but the lifespan of the bulb is (shorter life of a 55W). XenonSupply only does a 35W setup and has the best consistent reviews that I could find. However, I really wanted a 5000K temperature option, which they don't offer, but found that the 4300K setup is getting progressively more white over time (started as a very apparent HID, but a softer white). They are now a nice sharp white -- I was adamant about not having blue headlights (35W setups tend to show more color in my experience -- for consideration if you're looking at a 6000K color temp).

Just to add another dimension: I did swap my headlights with the Touring model projectors. They have a really nice cutoff and focus the HID light really well (for good light throw). However, they tend to show the light true to color and give only a slight a purple or blue hue from angles (nowhere near the purple color new BMW or Mercedes lights appear from angles), if that is a consideration in the effect you want from upgrading. Hope this helps someone.

All and all, I think both the headlamps and the HID setup are well worth the afternoon upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got my "Innovited AC 55W HID Xenon Conversion Kit With "Slim" ballast" kit from Amazon yesterday. Wow! Amazing output that works beautifully with the Touring's projector headlamps. The difference is truly dazzling over the original yellow halogens. 6000k is a bit blue but very pleasant. IMHO. The HID now matches the LED DRLs which is what I was hoping for. Very wide and very even light coverage. Road side reflective signs really light up nicely.

Installation was a bit challenging. Bulb needs to be pressed in very firmly before locking into place. Lots of wire and connector and parts (including the thin ballast) to tidy up in the engine bay. Tie wraps (not included) help a lot here! Lights do a quick flicker and are very blue/green when first turned on. Becomes whiter as it warms up which takes less than 30 seconds. There are two moderate hot spots but they are from each lamp and dead center so no problem.

Well worth the $40!!

IMG_6668.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts