Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a replacement engine air filter for my '15 CRV. Preferably an after-market to save a few bucks. Not much out there. What are the rest of you finding and using? Thanks for any tips. jimbob

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have been searching for a replacement engine air filter for my '15 CRV. Preferably an after-market to save a few bucks. Not much out there. What are the rest of you finding and using? Thanks for any tips. jimbob
I've just been going to Advanced Auto Parts to buy engine and cabin air filters. Saves me over $20 over OEM.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You'll find a huge choice on Amazon. If you combine it with other purchases totaling $45 (?), you can get free shipping as well. Brick and mortar is rapidly going South IMO. I combined it with oil filters, differential fluid and several other smaller items. The only way to shop for stuff like this IMO. Craig

·
Registered
72 Posts
K&N Air filters are great! When you purchase one, you will never buy another. You clean it with water when dirty. And it comes with solutions that will revive the filter like new again. You will own this for the rest of the V's life. I use this in most of my vehicles. Not much on cost savings but you will save on buying air filters for a very long time!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
I buy cabin filters on Amazon for 7 or 8 bucks and replace them once a year. Worst thing that can happen if the filter fails or is no good is the A/C smells bad.

The engine filter I buy from Honda for like $22 each. It's a 20,000 mile replacement, so I don't see much value in looking for the cheapest one I can find. Worst thing that could happen if it fails is engine replacement, so just no point in going cheap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Perhaps I paid too much for an OEM filter on eBay, but less than my local dealer's price, $22.99 including shipping. At the time I purchased, I wanted to confirm on ixfilters.com the part listed on Rock Auto, but it wasn't there yet, so I punted.

Kevin

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are my rides that I have used K&N filters for many years and has worked great and even
added some more HP!

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Mstnpet,
Here is a partial quote about K&N engine air filters:
"Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons."
Source: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I guess that would mean that an AC engine air filter would last almost 150k miles before reducing the airflow to minimal levels. since the K&N claims around 50k for cleaning and oiling. I think that AC Delco recommends around 15-20k miles for normal changes.

Modern computer controlled engines will not really increase their mpg with normal driving even if the air filter was removed.
The K&N may possibly give more HP under full throttle conditions in a normal Honda CRV, but I would doubt it would be noticeable.
If you believe the K&N misleading hype (We design our air filters to provide superior filtration of the contaminants that can harm your engine) from : http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm . Superior to what??? Adequate 'might' be a better description, but it still filters much worse than the Honda OEM one. Totally misleading.
The K&N engine air filter was created for off road motorcycling use, if I recall correctly and it worked just fine for that purpose.
It also increased the mpg and power on many carb fed engines, but since fuel injection, and computer controlled ignition timing and air/fuel ratio control, it is only letting more dirt through, restricts air flow quicker upon getting dirty and provides nothing beneficial to the engine or the owner.
It basically lets more dirt though than a standard 'paper' air filter. can't hold as much dirt before the air flow is reduced to a minimal level and is a PITA to clean , dry and oil. If you want the best protection from dirt for your CRV engine, without sacrificing mpg or power, use the OEM filter or a quality aftermarket filter, such as the AC Delcl one or Fram or Purolater, etc.
My 2003 Honda Odyssey owner's manual recommends an engine air filter replacement at 30k mile intervals, more often under dusty or Severe conditions.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the tips everyone. As many of you know the '15 and '16 engines require a different one than previous model years. Availability has been limited in my quest. I will be checking into some of the suggested sources. Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts