Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my CR-V for a couple of months now. It is a great car and I can't wait to drive it in the snow this winter. However, the interface between the car and my phone is unacceptable. I've been checking the web for solutions and haven't found any. I have seen a number of posts in this forum, but no real solutions. So, I'm just going to put my "wants" first, then the" why"s. There are already a bunch of threads on the issues.
  • GIve me a button to allow me to talk to my phone directly without the HondaLink getting in the way. My old bluetooth headset could do this with a double push of the answer button.
  • Always have the phone interrupt the radio (whether it's a call or audio, e.g. Google maps navigation). For me, the information coming from the phone will always be more important than the music or talk show on the radio.
  • Mirror the phone screen onto the car screen when I'm driving (so I can see my map when I need to)
  • When I receive a call, let the phone do the talking (the phone can speak the caller's name to me and can send the caller's name over the bluetooth connection) and let me hit a button to answer it.
Has anyone successfully hacked into the firmware/software in the CV-R to fix these issues? Is it possible? At this point, based on my research, I see no other option. If there is another option that doesn't involve replacing the system or "just dealing with it," I'd love to hear it.
The "why"s:
My phone is custimizable, has all of my contacts, recognizes my voice, has GPS, accurate and up-to-date maps, and does everything that I need a phone and navigation system to do. The Honda solution tries to duplicate all of that functionality and does it very poorly. As one user wrote last year, my $50 bluetooth headset can listen to my phone and pipe in navigation directions and let me know when I get a call. It is a joke that an expensive car can't even get that part right. The fact that I can't put my phone screen on the car screen while I'm driving is idiotic. Now I've got to find some way to hold my phone up for navigation. I don't want this post to degenerate into a series of posts and counter-posts on whether drivers can handle the increased cognitive demand. I've been driving long enough to see the majority of drivers not paying any attention at all to the road.
The hardware in the CR-V seems to be capable of doing the things that I have listed above. So, if the Honda programmers can't get it the way I want it, the only solution is to take the programming away from them and do it ourselves. Has anyone done this yet?
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have often had similar thoughts. Car tech is so far behind phone tech that it is laughable. I have yet to understand the reason for it. Are there crazy restrictive laws in place that regulate this stuff? Are their lawyers telling them they'll get sued? Or are they just not listening to their customers? If they listened for five minutes they would realize that tech is extremely important to this generation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
  • GIve me a button to allow me to talk to my phone directly without the HondaLink getting in the way. My old bluetooth headset could do this with a double push of the answer button.
  • Always have the phone interrupt the radio (whether it's a call or audio, e.g. Google maps navigation). For me, the information coming from the phone will always be more important than the music or talk show on the radio.
  • Mirror the phone screen onto the car screen when I'm driving (so I can see my map when I need to)
  • When I receive a call, let the phone do the talking (the phone can speak the caller's name to me and can send the caller's name over the bluetooth connection) and let me hit a button to answer it.
Here’s a workaround to use your phone’s voice command rather than Honda’s. Enable the use of “OK Google” from any screen. When you want to use voice command, just say “OK Google”. (You may have to turn down the volume of whatever is already playing through your speakers though.)

For the audio to prioritize your phone, perhaps try listening to Internet radio with your phone. But obviously, this uses data.

Mirroring the phone’s screen to use Google Navigation has been impossible for so far. With certain phones that support HDMI out, it’s possible to mirror the phone screen on the car’s screen. But this only works while the car is in park. Once you shift to Drive, it doesn’t work.

Not sure what issue you have with receiving a call. Mine works just fine. The phone rings. The caller’s name or number gets displayed on the car’s screen. I can press the call-answer button on the steering wheel to answer the call. The call’s audio plays through the car speakers and the mic on the ceiling picks up my own voice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JasonC:

I'm sorry it wasn't clear from my original post, but I'm not looking for "workarounds" that effectively ignore or disable the car's hardware capabilities. I want the capability of a hands-free system that mutes the audio when a call comes in or when my phone's navigation makes a statement and can mirror my phone screen on the dash. That's the point of having the hardware built into the car, I don't have to buy a separate hands-free system and interface it into the car's stereo system.

Regarding the incoming calls: I can answer the phone by pressing the buttons, but the car's system can't handle the number of contacts I have. It helpfully recommended that I delete some of them so that it could work. But, realistically, why would I duplicate my contacts in my car when they're already in my phone? Especially when my phone can read me the name. As I wrote in my original post, the phone can do everything better than Honda's software solution. The Honda hardware is what I need and I want it on my terms. Yes, that's not how the typical sheep react, but I'm not really of that genetic makeup.

I am just looking to see if anyone else has any information on overriding/modifying/bypassing the Honda firmware as I wrote in my post.

In fact, I'll add one more "want": I normally ride with my windows down, I'd like to be able to program the hardware to close the windows when I get a call. That has been available on Mercedes hands-free systems for some time now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BE_Bob,

I've been looking for most of the same solutions you are. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you'll get anything on your list unless you possess the hacking skills and tools yourself, and you'd be the first to do this. Android Auto should be able to do some of this (maybe all except the window controls), but Honda has made it clear that they have no intention of implementing that in the 2015 CR-V. Sorry to say, but if these features are important to you, you bought the wrong car. Honda's in-car technology is incredibly mediocre.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Believe me, what you want is exactly what most people (including myself) want. As of right now, the only way to do what you want appears to be to install a third party head unit that supports Android Auto (i.e. something like the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has had the CRV for 7 months or so. Had an Odyssey for 12 years and loved it. Seriously thinking about getting rid of the CRV.... The phone interface for android users is a joke. The CVT transmission is noisy. The issue with the garage door opener left us laughing - HOW THE HECK DID YOU NOT PUT THAT IN THE CRV HONDA? (We just assumed it was there....) And, for whatever reason, she has trouble parking it - even though she had no issues with the van.....

It will be interesting to test the whole theory on Honda's resale value.....I wonder what a '15 CRV EX-L (no nav - which we regret now....) with low low miles will bring......

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will be interesting to test the whole theory on Honda's resale value.....I wonder what a '15 CRV EX-L (no nav - which we regret now....) with low low miles will bring......

Do not regret that you did not get the navigation system. My $200 phone has a better navigation system than my 2015 CRV EX-L ...

and the bluetooth is the worst. I cannot use it do to the echo the person on the other end of the phone hears. Wondering if anyone else has that problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts