Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did my first oil change for my 2015 ex and put a 17 MM wrench on the bolt about 1 inch left of and 1.5 inch behind the oil change bolt. I noticed that it was torqued down really tight than as I was removing it i thought that it was a lot longer than most oil pan drain bolts. When I took it out no oil flowed than I looked again and found the right bolt.
Question is what bolt did I remove? I torqued it down pretty dam tight but don't know how tight it should be.

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Any chance you could take a picture of the bolt in question?

The only 'bolts' under there on my '13 model are case bolts that hold the trans together I believe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I tried taking some photos last weekend but didn't get any that were good. My daughter has a camera with a wide angle lens so I will try to take a few more photos with her camera and hope that I can get a good one. Can't get the camera far enough away for a good picture. Hope I don't have to wait till its on a lift.

Any chance you could take a picture of the bolt in question?

The only 'bolts' under there on my '13 model are case bolts that hold the trans together I believe.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
See if her camera has a 'Flower' setting on it as that is a macro (closeup) setting on most. Use it if it does.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
After looking at parts diagrams and...

did my first oil change for my 2015 ex and put a 17 MM wrench on the bolt about 1 inch left of and 1.5 inch behind the oil change bolt. I noticed that it was torqued down really tight than as I was removing it i thought that it was a lot longer than most oil pan drain bolts. When I took it out no oil flowed than I looked again and found the right bolt.
Question is what bolt did I remove? I torqued it down pretty dam tight but don't know how tight it should be.

Thanks for any info
Service Manual I cannot figure out what bolt it might be.

A suggestion: remove the bolt, measure it's diameter and thread number, then search the internet (I use duckduckgo.com) for torque specifications for that size bolt. That it has a 17 mm head may or may not be meaningful in this question.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion

Guess you have to put your thinking cap on to know that a flower means Macro! Must be the 21st century. I will look at my wife's camera again as it had a knob that changed settings ( movie, auto, smart auto, and a few others that I don't remember) I was confused as to why they would call one auto and than the next one was smart auto. Why have a stupid auto. Anyway I will look again trying to interpret the settings better.

See if her camera has a 'Flower' setting on it as that is a macro (closeup) setting on most. Use it if it does.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I would crawl under it again and check to make sure it hasn't loosened up. If it is still tight and since you "torqued it down pretty dam tight " it is most likely just fine. Don't strip it!!!
Still, the method that downunder47 mentioned is a solid one to get the proper torque specs for that size bolt and thread. I don't know it the specs would be the same for both cast iron and aluminum.
Does it look like that bolt just helps anchor the oil pan?

Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Definitely Mounting bolt - BEWARE.

After looking at the photos it kinda looks like mounting bolts?

Is it #17 here: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2015-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex_awd-ka-cvt/engine-mounts.html

If so you know the size/thread but knowing that Honda strongly recommends replacing some bolts once they are loosened, I would go to a Honda dealer and buy a new one and ask them to look up the specs and do it right.

Later: Checked my 2010 Service manual. Very different on the '15 but similar. There are a lot 12x1.25mm bolts used on mounts. The torque specs differ greatly even for what appear to be the same bolt in a different hole. Perhaps what it is being screwed into? On several pages I noticed several bolts that size and length with torque specs of 40, 47, 52, 65 and 69 ft lb. One thing they all had in common was the word "Replace" immediately after the torque spec. Meaning they want it replaced with a new one every time it loosened.

So, by all means, buy a new one and look at the Service Manual for your vehicle and that bolt. Your dealer should be willing to show it to you?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Nice pictures!
I would think the 'replace' is more related to deformation of the included washer on the head of the bolt than stretching of the bolt itself since it's being threaded into aluminum, I think.
You could torque it to one of the specs quoted, then mark it with a Sharpie pen to help keep an eye on it to see if it starts to back off. [This is called torque striping and is used a lot in aerospace]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts