Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's acceptable for a new vehicle (<4000kms) to have a fuel odor in the cabin @ anytime while idling? I've noticed a couple times that after leaving the CRV idle for a while there's a fuel odor in the cabin and also under the hood. I took it to my dealership to have the issue looked @ and a junior tech said that he noticed a slight odor but no obvious signs of leakage so, they told me just to monitor the situation and come back if it gets worse!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi.

Not acceptable at all as far as I'm concerned. There have been several complaints about that here. Keep bugging the service advisors about it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will...I was just in there last week asking when the (backordered)parts for the "vibration issue" where going to be in a couple weeks ago. Needless to say they weren't very excited to see me and are well aware of my disappointment with this CRV vs our 2011!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am one of the others on here that was having the same issue with the oil or fuel smell in the cabin while idling or parked. I brought it to the dealer once and they said they couldn't smell it and sent me on my way. I brought it back again and they said they disassembled some things on the advice of a HOnda engineer that suggested it could be some oil they put on parts during shipping that I am smelling. They also added dye to the engine oil and transmission to look for leaks. No leaks found. The day I left the dealer, my car began to sputter and shudder at low RPM upon accelerating from a stop position. I called back right away, but drove it this past week before bringing it in. It didn't do that before I had them look at the car, I was worried they ran it out of fuel completely or the dye had somehow damaged the transmission. I didn't feel like the issue was related to my original problem. I finally took it back tonight and service mgr drove it and said the shudder/sputter is the vibration issue everyone is having. Supposed to bring it in Friday to be fixed, but it doesn't make sense to me, why didn't it occur before? Why only after they serviced my vehicle. And all the talk of vibration, but no one mentions sputtering. Also, none of this helps with the original issue of the cabin fuel smell. Ready to trade it in....it's a 2015 with 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same issue - started around 8000km. Gas smell after engine warmed up and idle in traffic or after restarting. I suppose it smells while on the highway however enough air flow through the engine compartment to dilute
My dealer checked and couldn't find the problem. I'll go back one more time and then to another dealer if mine can't find the source

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also gas smell in cabin,STRONG

My new 2016 CRV started smelling like gas after a few hundred miles. It has been in 4 times now without a fix. My dealership has been wonderful and has done everything the Honda tech line recommends. I am fearful to drive it since the smell is soooo bad, and I spoke to the WI lemon law advocate here in my state as what I need to do now but... I love my CRV and want to give it a chance so if anyone had this and got a remedy could you let me know? Maybe my dealership would be open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the first letter of your vin? I have 2 crvs one made in Canada the other Mexico. One has same problem other does not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've noticed the fuel smell on occasion after driving the car and parking it. Coming back to it and driving again.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got my CRV back from getting the vibration fix done and it has helped but, I also had the fuel odour issue looked at for the fourth time with "no issues found ". Very frustrating! Has anyone had any luck with a diagnosis on the fuel smell issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed that the gas smell is stronger when outdoor temperature is over 14C.
My dealer has been waiting for Hondatech Canada to get back with a solution.
I called Honda customer service because I was tired of waiting / smelling gas for 3 months and after a few back and forth calls their response was to use the A/C on recirculate.
The representative actually told me that there were no reported cases of gas smell to which I replied that that was incorrect because my dealer is working with a local Honda employee who owns a 2015 CRV and has the same gas smell. Then she lawyered up and said that she could neither confirm nor deny that there are other reports due to privacy rules.
I reported my problem to Transport Canada.

·
Registered
776 Posts
They do seem to have a problem admitting culpability when "issues" arise. Took them forever after the tsunami hit N Japan to admit they had a huge problem with one of the reactors. A prideful group who at the moment is wresting with the airbag problems. Unfortunately, that will still be in litigation 10 years from now !! Craig

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Re: Gasoline odors.

Question to those who are experiencing the issue. When refilling the gas tank do you continue to click, click, and click the pump nozzle trying to squeeze in the very most gas that you can?

I always stop filling with the very first auto stop of the pump nozzle and I never experience the gas odors others have.

So, is there any corelation of 'overfilling' to the gas odor problem?

·
Registered
91 Posts
To be honest I havent smelled it for a while. I usually do a click fill up to second click done.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you park, idle and exit the car, does the smell come from the exhaust or the engine bay? Or neither (somewhere else?). One click for filling gas, always.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new 2016 CR-V in January, 2017. After driving approx. 2,000 miles, started smelling gas in the cabin. Took it to the dealer, service department told me there were no leaks and it is safe to drive. Then it got worse, so I took it back. Honda advised that a new canister would help. They replaced the canister, but the problem still exists. Honda engineer is supposed to come tomorrow, we will see what they suggest next. Apparently, Honda is aware of the problem, but don't have a fix. It is disappointing, especially, after paying so much for a new vehicle, to have the vehicle fixed in the first month of ownership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts