Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight. Does anyone have an idea what I should try 1st to fix this issue. The vehicle also chugs on the freeway when I get to about 60mph, tach goes from 2.5k to 3.5k and revs. I have 104k miles on the car and have meticulously maintained maintenance. Any help would be appreciated (PS I work on my car, but I'm not a car junky, so dumbed down english will be better than tech'y talk).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looking for some insight. Does anyone have an idea what I should try 1st to fix this issue. The vehicle also chugs on the freeway when I get to about 60mph, tach goes from 2.5k to 3.5k and revs. I have 104k miles on the car and have meticulously maintained maintenance. Any help would be appreciated (PS I work on my car, but I'm not a car junky, so dumbed down english will be better than tech'y talk).
I would try this before doing anything else. It really works if the problem is dirty fuel injectors. If this isn't the problem I would have a mechanic check fuel pump

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,987 Posts
I also think it sounds like a transmission issue to me as well. The fluctuating and revving of the tach is a dead give away. Have you changed the transmission fluid at all? If so, what fluid did you use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have changed the transmission fluid and used the Honda stuff. I also discovered another bit to the story tonite. Sometimes (65-75%) when I come to a stop it will stay running. As soon as I take my foot off the brake, engine dies.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,987 Posts
When I had a Jeep about 8 years ago I had to replace the TPS and IAC. When I was stopped at a light I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the idle up or it would die. I would also floor it and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. I had no check engine light or anything like that. Do you have a check engine light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I had a Jeep about 8 years ago I had to replace the TPS and IAC. When I was stopped at a light I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the idle up or it would die. I would also floor it and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. I had no check engine light or anything like that. Do you have a check engine light?
No CE, and I have to do exactly what you’re saying. I’m putting my left foot to break and keeping the idle up with my right and have to take off almost like you would with a manual. What is a TPS and IAC? I’m not too bright. Lol

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,987 Posts
TPS=throttle position sensor and IAC:idle air control. The IAC will affect you at the stop light and why you have to keep your foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time. The TPS is going to affect your ability to drive because it tells the throttle body how far to open etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wise to take it to Honda dealer and have them run a diagnostic on it?? Like I said, it hasn’t thrown a check engine.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,021 Posts
When you say you got Honda stuff, gotta ask, which Honda stuff? There are multiple choices and if you were given wrong stuff then that's probably the issue.
please give us more details about the conditions these scenarios happen in, and maintenance just before it started. Miles on it now.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
481 Posts
That also happened to my old Jeep back in the day. It was due to dirty TPS and throttle body air leak causing engine to run way too rich.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you figure it out?
Mass Air Flow sensor. My fault. I took the car for CE a couple months ago and it said Mass Air Flow sensor. I bought aftermarket. It kept acting up and I went back and rechecked all of the connections I took apart while adjusting valve lashes and found a bent pin on the O2 sensor. Fixed that. Ran fine for a month. Then this started. Turns out the aftermarket part I bought was a POS. They changed it out at the dealer with a known good one and, voila! So, they’re ordering me a real one. Dumbass attack! I do appreciate all of the help and advice!!!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
4,879 Posts
Mass Air Flow sensor. My fault. I took the car for CE a couple months ago and it said Mass Air Flow sensor. I bought aftermarket. It kept acting up and I went back and rechecked all of the connections I took apart while adjusting valve lashes and found a bent pin on the O2 sensor. Fixed that. Ran fine for a month. Then this started. Turns out the aftermarket part I bought was a POS. They changed it out at the dealer with a known good one and, voila! So, they’re ordering me a real one. Dumbass attack! I do appreciate all of the help and advice!!!
I'd give you two "likes" if I could! One for getting back to us, and the second one for admitting that you made a mistake by buying an aftermarket part.

Sometimes aftermarket parts are ok, but they rarely saves any money when you end up having to buy the OEM part anyway, after the aftermarket one fails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd give you two "likes" if I could! One for getting back to us, and the second one for admitting that you made a mistake by buying an aftermarket part.

Sometimes aftermarket parts are ok, but they rarely saves any money when you end up having to buy the OEM part anyway, after the aftermarket one fails.
Haha! Yeah man, dumbass mistake. Every thing else I use Honda stuff except for motor oil and filter. Thanks again to everyone for their help!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts