Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
While I was able to scroll down for the next screen it basically just explained a bit more info like the first screen said oil change, the next screen said tire rotation.

I still am waiting for the code to appear telling me to change the CVT fluid. Has anyone had the code come up yet? Our car now has roughly 37K miles.

·
Registered
886 Posts
While I was able to scroll down for the next screen it basically just explained a bit more info like the first screen said oil change, the next screen said tire rotation.

I still am waiting for the code to appear telling me to change the CVT fluid. Has anyone had the code come up yet? Our car now has roughly 37K miles.
Honda typically bases "severe use" intervals at half of "normal". As the severe use interval for the CVT is 25,000 miles your MM should issue a service reminder around the 50,000 mile mark.

If it makes you more comfortable, have it changed early and ask the tech to reset the MM to reflect the early change. Only the dealer can do an early reset of a maintenance item that is not yet due.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Severe service and normal service are marketing terms. Auto manufacturers started using those terms a few decades ago to appeal to consumers who like to service their vehicles (severe service) and also to those who do not like to service their vehicles as often (normal service). If you feel you arent being marketed to, then you have been had in the most perfect way.

For vehicle longevity, severe service applies to any vehicle once it hits the pavement off the lot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just called the dealer and was told 30K miles. I'm not going to wait for the MM to pop up. I'm changing the fluid asap since I'm now around 37K miles

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I just called the dealer and was told 30K miles. I'm not going to wait for the MM to pop up. I'm changing the fluid asap since I'm now around 37K miles
You gotta trust those dealers because they would never take advantage of anyone. You can listen to them and give them almost double the money they should get. A classmate bought a 2015 CRV EX-L after her husband died. They sold her every aftermarket accessory available. They service her car with a sticker on the windshield that tells her to bring it in every 4,000 miles. She was ready to take it in for service the other day and I asked her what the MM said and she didn't know what I was talking about. I showed her and she was getting her oil changed with 70% reading on it. Mine still reads 30% after 9,000 miles but I change it because I think 9,000 is more than far enough.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From reading other boards and listening to others the belt is metal. Subaru was the first to place the technology in the automobile. Subaru Justy.

CVT is limited to smaller vehicles with less weight. Predominately found in 4 cylinder vehicles to increase fuel economy.

Most manufactures have been down playing the technology as people were staying away from it, siting concerns for reliability and or longevity.

Slipping/grinding sound and vibrations are a common problem with the CVT. If you are a listen for the transmission running through the gears type of person the CVT will drive you nuts as it's very quite and has no gears.
Most Nissan and Infinity 3.5 V 6 use CVT

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,854 Posts
Took a look at the Accord forum since they've had cvt longer than we have. Seems it codes for fresh fluid as late as 80k miles. I'm not waiting that long....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I now have only 2k miles on it, but so far I am happy with the CVT. I believe it is a sound concept, and so far has performed well above my expectations. But ask me again in 5 yrs... did they really implement the idea well, and did it really hold up? We'll have to wait and see. I drive my cars till they die (typically 250k - 300k miles). I just bet nearly $30k that this CRV will be reliable for the long haul. I am optimistic, but you never know for sure.
How's your CVT holding up? I have a 2016 FWD LX, my first CVT and I hope to drive it 250k+ miles. I'm thinking on changing the fluid every 30K for good measure.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts