Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 Headlight Swap To Projectors And LEDs

52K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Krzystof 
#1 ·
I decided to swap out my standard halogen headlight housings for the projectors that are offered on the Touring trim. I have a little difficulty seeing at night and Xenon or LED bulbs throw better light than halogens. So far everything is great. I also decided to swap out the interior lighting to LED as well. Overall, I am pleased with the results. The total time was a little under 2 hours to complete everything, but this was my first time doing something like this so I went slow and was cautious. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hatchback
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Compact mpv Family car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda cr-v
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Bumper

See less See more
#5 ·
Honda has always been last

Last to offer cruise control
Last to offer passenger side rear view mirror
Last to offer cassette in radio
Last to offer power windows
Last to offer power door locks
Last to offer factory air
Last to offer CD in radio
Last to offer power seats
Last to offer Alloy wheels
Last to make fuel injection standard
Last to offer USB on radio
Last to offer a V6
Last to offer leather seats
Last to offer projection headlights
Still don't offer a V8

#53 ·
A couple more to that list:
Still don't offer surround view 360 degree camera
Still no Zero Gravity ergonomic seats
Still no massaging seats
Still don't offer electric vehicles (competing with Toyota on that race to be last)
Sure to be last to offer autonomous driving

#7 ·
I originally purchased and am using these. I decided on LED because I have heard of Xenon melting the projectors and they don't seem to have very good reliability.

Kensun New Technology All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit (from HID or Halogen) with Cree Bulbs - H11 - 30W 3000LM x2 - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGYARIS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_IyMPvb1QVNQFF

They are fine, but I have a new set on order and will return the old ones.

Starnill LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 7200LM COB LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs (H11) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WUG1A6U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_pBMPvbC38HA37

I just wanted something a little brighter. The Kensun bulbs are equivalent to standard halogen bulbs but the new ones are 2x the brightness. I'll be sure to update when I get the new bulbs in tomorrow.

#35 ·
I originally purchased and am using these. I decided on LED because I have heard of Xenon melting the projectors and they don't seem to have very good reliability.

Kensun New Technology All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit (from HID or Halogen) with Cree Bulbs - H11 - 30W 3000LM x2 - 2 Year Warranty

They are fine, but I have a new set on order and will return the old ones.

Starnill LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 7200LM COB LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs (H11)

I just wanted something a little brighter. The Kensun bulbs are equivalent to standard halogen bulbs but the new ones are 2x the brightness. I'll be sure to update when I get the new bulbs in tomorrow.

Also, the Kensun kit that you first used only comes with bulbs and no ballasts. Does that mean that for the Touring projectors the ballasts are optional in the Starnill and OPT7 kits? Where/how did you mount the ballasts if you did end up having to install them?

#9 ·
The color is spot on when looking at a distance. There is only a slight hint of blue when looking at the inside corner of where the projectors are housed (see my pictures). I think something like a 5000k or 5500k would be a little closer though. I have thought about swapping the fogs, but we get really bad fog here and I have read about the reduced effect when using LED fog lights. I don't know if this is due to the whiter light but I am kind of leery to spend money on them just yet. I may just wait until the foggy season to order, that way I still have a return window if they don't work out.

#42 ·
I replaced the headlights on my '15 Touring with OPT7 LED bulbs and then went with the 6 XTE fog lights from VLeds.com. They are H11s instead of H8s but with a minor modification to the bulbs they fit perfectly.

The only problem I had was getting all of the tabs around the fog light surround back into place.

I really like the look! Thanks so much for he guidance!

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-...h8-h9-h16-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-1-pair.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#46 ·
I decided to swap out my standard halogen headlight housings for the projectors that are offered on the Touring trim. I have a little difficulty seeing at night and Xenon or LED bulbs throw better light than halogens. So far everything is great. I also decided to swap out the interior lighting to LED as well. Overall, I am pleased with the results. The total time was a little under 2 hours to complete everything, but this was my first time doing something like this so I went slow and was cautious. Please let me know if you have any questions.

View attachment 48057 View attachment 48065 View attachment 48073 View attachment 48081 View attachment 48089 View attachment 48097
This is exactly what I am looking for! Where did you buy the headlights/part number? Does it come with the ballast and bulb, or is that separate? Curious to see how much your stock headlight will sell for, keep us posted if you can!

I am about to buy a CRV EX-L, and have always had fun sports cars. I am recently married, and part of the compromise of having this CRV daily driver family mobile is potentially getting a S2000 as my main car.

Cheers to growing up!

#50 ·
Putting Hid or Led Bulbs without proper housing - does not really help. All it does is create bright light close by-does not do anything for width or distance( in fact worse than halogen stock bulbs)
Light pattern is just spread all around blinding on coming traffic- Not to mention you can get a ticket or if you get into a front collision could be deemed your fault if the cop or the other driver notices headlights modification.

#52 ·

View attachment 48057 View attachment 48065 View attachment 48073 View attachment 48081 View attachment 48089 View attachment 48097
That looks really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.