Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CR-V has 18,000 miles and my dealer is recommending a onetime $85.00 differential fluid change. Does anyone know why this is necessary?

·
Registered
785 Posts
My CR-V has 18,000 miles and my dealer is recommending a onetime $85.00 differential fluid change. Does anyone know why this is necessary?
It's not. The Maintenance Minder will alert you when a differential fluid change is needed. Your Owner's Manual will explain what the various codes mean.

Replacing the differential fluid is not a big job: 1 quart or so of fluid and 10 minutes of labor. Premature maintenance recommendations and a high price suggests you should watch your wallet with these guys.

·
Registered
252 Posts
After hearing some stories about rear diff problems when my V was newer, I requested my dealer change my rear fluid early... He said it wasn't needed until the MM indicated and suggested I wait. Unless you are experiencing some kind of problem or unusual noises, I'd suggest you wait - 18K is a bit early for a new vehicle. I also would be suspicious of that dealer, seems a bit money hungry.

That said, many miles later I did start to hear a groan from the back and changed the fluid which resolved the problem. Now that my V has almost 130K I have taken to changing it every other oil change (~15K miles). Same with ATF. I'm sure that is overkill, but the fluid is cheap and 30 minutes of my time is free so what the heck if it makes me sleep better at night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I failed to mention my dealers service tech told me the mileage minder with the code number 6 was the reminder that the diff. fluid needed to be changed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even it does need changing, should not cost $85.00. This is very easy to do, just two bolts to remove and 2 bottles of Dual Pump II fluid. Most of the on-line sellers have this for less than $9.00 a bottle but shipping is high. You can always ask the parts department at the dealer to get close to the on-line price. Just make sure the fill bolt is removed first before draining.

Here is a link for reference.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Dual-Pump-Fluid-II-Crosstour-CRV-Element__08200-9007.aspx

A link for a hand pump to make the change easier, there is not much room under there.

http://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimatic-Standard-Bottles/dp/B000BQW5LK/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MF3QRBMH8FKWPZ1BDXC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the info. I should now be able to save at least $60, probably more over what the dealer's charge.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You think the dealer quoted him a high px for the change ??? The woman I bought my car from in Central WI told me she got quoted $125 from the dealer where she bought and serviced the car from new !!! Unfortunately, I think the operative words are "woman owner" who obviously got taken advantage of as I think she told them she was selling the car !!
BTW, the local big box all purpose store (Menard's) sells that pump as a pump for servicing the lower unit on an outboard notor so check you local store - $5 !! Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
252 Posts
PS - Don't forget to get new crush washers if you do it yourself... cheap and available at local dealer parts counter. Also reminder to loosen top plug first, they can be on there pretty tight and it's a pita if you open the bottom and drain the fluid out then not be able to refill it ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My selling dealer charges $149.99 for this - and they wonder why many of us do it ourselves. Guess they have to pay for airbag recalls somehow ;-(

15K mile intervals on CVT 4 quart drain and fill and 1.3 qt rear diff drain and fill are easy do it yourself tasks to provide peace of mind.
I take smartphone pictures of the car mileage and all DIY fluids and filters etc and then I email them and print it out as proof of service record. it creates a simple record for printing out. I feel sorry for the uninformed Honda owners being exploited by these dealers and their predatory routine service pricing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts