Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if you'd rather have me post in one of my earlier threads - thought I should separate the general question from the actual project.

I had a local audio shop install a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX in my 2015 CR-V EX-L. I also had them add two USB connections (you lose the OEM ones in the console box) and a HDMI connection for Pioneer's apps (which include a Waze interface), as well as a tuner for SiriusXM satellite radio. Total cost (with tax) was about $1,270.

I've had the unit for 24 hours and I really enjoy the CarPlay interface. When you plug your phone in, it automatically shows the screen. You can also run other audio, and it will cut in if you get a call. The sound quality also seems a lot better. Callers also hear me more clearly, as the microphone was installed in front of the rear view mirror (so it catches your voice better when you're looking forward). The USB ports are also more accessible - they put one in the blank space next to the seat heater buttons, and the other where the power port was.

Now here are the caveats:

- The biggest issue we had was with the HDCC-02 wiring harness (and computer) that allows retention of the cameras (including LaneWatch). The rear view camera works fine (though it's stuck on one view). The side view camera, however, turns on anytime the right turn signal is on, including when the hazard lights are activated. In addition, it intermittently sticks on the video (meaning you can't do anything else), even after you turn the signal off (it takes about 5-10 seconds to clear). I took the car back and the shop had to upgrade the firmware. The problem hasn't gone away entirely, but I figured out you can press the LaneWatch button to turn off the camera view. The shop subsequently admitted they really don't use products from that harness' manufacturer anymore but that nobody else makes anything comparable for this vehicle.

- In addition, the side view camera image is more washed out (brighter) than the OEM screen. You can still see what you need though.

- Be careful with the steering wheel control connections. There is an extra wire you have to connect in order to retain the voice command buttons. They did not do that properly but fixed it today.

- I've had a hard time getting the HDMI to work (perhaps it's a bad cable I have). Instead, I've run Waze on my phone. The only bug I've had is, despite setting Waze to use my phone speaker for audio, it often breaks in through the stereo when hooked up. You miss the first second of the audio, and sometimes the radio doesn't go back to playing music after Waze finishes speaking. I think this is a Waze bug in interacting with CarPlay, so I reported it to them.

- There was a hissing noise in the background, even with the sound muted. The shop fixed this by soldering something where the RCA jacks from the speakers went in. It reduces max volume but that's not an issue for me.

- Contrary to Crutchfield's note, you can retain the ability to set the factory clock in the i-MID screen. That said, it is a complex process, and it doesn't always work.

Overall, it's not perfect, but I have most of the functions I need. I would definitely recommend professional installation given all the problems I had (the shop was very nice and made the fixes I needed at no charge).

I'll post more photos later, but here are a few I took last night.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another update: I am encountering more bugs, which seem to be related to the HDCC-02 module that retains the cameras & clock:

- Clock resets the next time you start the car (after you have already set it). You're supposed to be able to press the Source button for 15 seconds when iMid is set to the analog clock. After the high beam indicator flashes twice, you can toggle between the date & time components and change them. Unfortunately, the high beams only flash about one in ten attempts.

- The presets sometimes skip randomly when using the steering wheel controls (i.e. it will go from preset #3 to preset #1 instead of preset #4). It seems to happen more when coming out of CarPlay mode after having played music. If I turn the car off and back on, the problem goes away. While the steering wheel controls have a different harness, it is connected through the HDCC-02 module.

I have an e-mail out to the manufacturer of the harness. I really hope I didn't drop $1,000 for a system that won't work the way it should because of a $200 module.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I can't even imagine spending that kind of money on a sound system for a CRV, but to each their own.

I do admire you for talking about the negatives. Most people would never admit it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't even imagine spending that kind of money on a sound system for a CRV, but to each their own.

I do admire you for talking about the negatives. Most people would never admit it.

Good luck.
Thanks. The stereo itself was only half of that. The rest was the integration modules (about $280), installation (about $200), the satellite radio tuner, and various cables.

·
Registered
117 Posts
thanks for the post! Looking forward to updates along the way.
It's a true shame that Honda did such a piss poor job on this head unit (only to apparently "correct" it on the 2017 model! :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One quick update: the preset skipping has to do with the head unit's ability to store up to an hour of satellite radio feed (when you turn to a station mid-song, it starts at the beginning of the song). I have to read the manual some more.

The rest of the issues need to be debugged between the installer and the module manufacturer. The manufacturer's tech support has been less than willing to give me any suggestions outside of that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2 things IMHO
1. You can usually set the brightness/contrast with pioneer headunits for the video, not sure how up to what extent though
2. Im not sure what they did, but hissing sound says speaker lines are exposed to induced current from surrounding wires. Example to avoid this when doing sound setups are using shielded RCA cables and refraining from running the RCA cables along with the Power cables of the amplifier-if that helps.

Good luck with this endeavor!

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a few similar problems with the installation. I could never get the i-MID clock setting "trick" to work; high beams simply never flashed. Seems for this particular model car you can't actually set that clock from the steering wheel controls. I honestly can't remember how I set it in the first place so that certainly may be true. The tech plugged the factory unit back in to set the clock and of course it'll be an hour off for half the year. But that's not too much of a dealbreaker for me. It doesn't reset for me when I restart my car. (Fun fact, the date also was set to Dec 31, 2012)

I also have the whitewash effect of the lane watch camera. Usually worse in bright or artificial light but generally is ok.

My rear camera is also stuck on wide angle. When the tech plugged in the factory unit to fix the clock he tried to set the "normal" view hoping it would be the default upon connecting the Pioneer again. But that didn't work. The view is odd but the whole picture is there so I can get used to it. My picture doesn't actually take up the entire screen like yours looks to; there are black bars on top and bottom like widescreen view on a TV screen. The guide lines are way off and also remain on screen when the lane watch camera is activated, so I don't have them on.

The bluetooth audio for calls echoes a bit but I'm told the quality is better on their end of the call.

I'm pretty happy with it overall. I really just wanted Android Auto and it's been working well for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the whitewash effect of the lane watch camera. Usually worse in bright or artificial light but generally is ok.
Also meant to add that I experience the lag as well. Takes a bit to switch to the camera view and a bit to switch back once the signal goes off. Maybe a 5 seconds or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues with the METRA HDCC-02. I spent many hours last summer on the phone with their techs, we were trying to get the washed out side image resolved and couldn't get the clock functions to work. They finally gave up and told me the unit was NOT certified for the 2016 CRV and I shouldn't have installed it.

What really got me is a short time later, when it was hot out, it was causing an error that prevented my AC from working, at this point I contacted METRA Again, but they wouldn't help. Very disappointed in the unit and wish there was another valid vendor that could be used.

Please keep us posted if you make any progress.

·
Registered
704 Posts
For what it is worth, I have installed the PAC RP4-HD11 OEM integration & steering interface in a 2012 CR-V EX and a 2013 CR-V EXL. Both with Pioneer radios. In both cases the iMid clock setting worked perfectly (I still drive the 2013 EXL). All steering wheel controls work well without lag - including the handsfree phone buttons. Unfortunately the RP4-HD11 does not handle anything related to OEM cameras. In both my installs the back-up camera still worked fine on the iMid but I did not try to put the image onto the Pioneer radio.

It is shown as compatible with 2015 as well.

Here is a link: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1196&CategoryID=26

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes the PAC RP4-HD11 works well for the steering wheel controls on the 16, but still won't adjust the clock, I think with the factory 7" display because the clock adjustments are in the head unit. I Put the PAC in when I pulled the POS HDCC-02 out last summer when it prohibited my AC from working on very hot days.

Sad that Metra is still marketing the HDCC-02 when they know it's not working properly. FYI Their steering wheel control ASWC works fine alone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if any of you are still interested regarding hdcc-02 harness install on your crvs with washed out video, i just complete my install. My first installation without any modification to the harness was video outputs were bad the same as your experience. hdcc-02 works like a video switch, switching the rear and lane watch camera in a video switcher and their video switch is bad. So i bypass the video switcher and run separate video cables directly to my kenwood radio with 2 video input capable. video is very good. now i'm researching how to modify the fisheye rear camera video output i have. just search 2016 crv radio upgrade in this site for my posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts