Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, help me out a bit here, please. I have about 90,000 miles on my CR-V and they (The dealer) are recommending a timing belt change about 100,000 miles. Sounds pretty standard. Just for kicks, I look up a timing belt and find a sprocket for my vehicle. So for kicks, I look up a chain for my vehicle, and sure enough, a chain shows up. Another source says my car has a chain and it should last the life of my car.

What is the straight scoop on this?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The dealer is slightly retarded apparently. Need to go to a new dealer. Dealer should know better.

It is a chain

Chains do NOT LAST the life of a vehicle. If they did they wouldn't sell replacements.

Usually good to have a timing chain done between 150 and 200k unless it starts making noise then of course change it asap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
163 Posts
This continues to be a topic of confusion although I'm not sure why. From what I remember the CR-V last had a timing belt in around 2001. Which would mean they have used a timing chain for the past 15+ years.

I would hope that a dealership would have this in muscle memory by now so as to not create additional confusion.

With that being said there are a number of other models that continued to use a belt.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
If it was a V6 powered Honda,those you can expect to replace the timing belt every 105k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts