Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 is just now out of warranty and I want to change the idle since the dealer would not do it. Can anyone tell me how to up the idle so that it does not shake during stops? If I can only raise the idle by 100 to 150 RPM I believe it will make a hugh difference. Suggestions, etc.?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
Did you have all three 'idle shake' fixes installed while under warranty? (Do a SEARCH for the TSBs)

The last one appeared to provide more gasoline at idle. It would reduce your MPG by a little bit, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm curios about the same thing. I did the TSB 15-046 back when it first came out. At first I though the issue has went away, but it has come back not short after. I tried to schedule to do a a do over but was refused by the dealer (because TSB was already performed) and calling Honda USA did not get me anywhere. Honda USA just said it is "characteristics of the vehicle" and I basically have to suck it up buttercup. Having AC or heater have been my saving grace till now. At 70K miles it still vibrates at stops even with the heater on and it feels that vibrations are getting stronger. I was really hoping that someone could just reprogram the idle RPM because I'm at the point that I can't really take it anymore, I don't really care if I use more gas at the stops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've noticed my 15's vibrations at stop lights has returned. If I know I'm going to be stopped at a light for any length of time, I just throw into neutral like I'm driving a manual.
Yes, I have been doing that as well when it gets bad enough for me not to be able to handle it. That always makes me wonder what kind of wear it will do to the transmission long term. Constantly shifting to from D to N and then back to D will cause additional wear.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
Why would you think shifting into neutral at a traffic light causes wear?

I remember an article somewhere years ago about the 'need?' to shift into N. There was no correlation of increased repairs in observations of NYC taxis where some drivers did and others didn't. (Admittedly these were not CVTs.)

Gotta ask though, did the owners that are noticing idle vibrations get the 'Mode Three' fix? IIRC: that was the one that increased idle speed a hair (and reduced MPG a little).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why would you think shifting into neutral at a traffic light causes wear?

I remember an article somewhere years ago about the 'need?' to shift into N. There was no correlation of increased repairs in observations of NYC taxis where some drivers did and others didn't. (Admittedly these were not CVTs.)

Gotta ask though, did the owners that are noticing idle vibrations get the 'Mode Three' fix? IIRC: that was the one that increased idle speed a hair (and reduced MPG a little).
I'm no expert, but the way the CVT shifts with the belt and the pulleys and the 100s of PSI that is required to make car work, I don't think it is very healthy long term to switch from D to N to D at every stop light. Not trying to be a smart ass, but this is just my thoughts. If anyone have more insight, I'm happy to hear.

I had Mode three fix, but the issue has come back and I think it is getting worse. Before, if I had AC or heater on, it will pretty much eliminate the vibration. Now I feel pretty strong vibrations even with the heater on. With 70k miles on the clock, I'm pretty much out of warranty. I was just curious if anyone tried to adjust their idle to remedy the issue.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Another "solution" is to stop well short of the car in front. If the vibration starts allowing the car to roll forward a little will allow the vibration to dissipate.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
Another "solution" is to stop well short of the car in front. If the vibration starts allowing the car to roll forward a little will allow the vibration to dissipate.
This practice will also reduce the possibility that brake pad redeposits will cause vibration under braking. :banana:

If you have a car with that annoying AutoStop where the engine shuts down at a light...the movement will prevent the shutdown from occurring. Thank goodness Honda doesn't build that in...do they?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This practice will also reduce the possibility that brake pad redeposits will cause vibration under braking. :banana:

If you have a car with that annoying AutoStop where the engine shuts down at a light...the movement will prevent the shutdown from occurring. Thank goodness Honda doesn't build that in...do they?
silver lining? :) :HighFive:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts