Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 EX owned since new now has 59,000 miles.

When I step on the break wait a second or two then push the start button it doesn't start. I repeat the process and it starts immediately.

What should I be looking at to see if it needs replacing?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Yes, especially if it's the original battery. From what I read here, they didn't put the greatest battery in the newer Vs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I doubt that it's the battery because it's only 9 months old and it's a 51R 435 CCA battery with a 3 replacement if defective from Advance Auto Parts.

I just had the battery checked and it's fine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My original battery only lasted 4 months. The replacement got replaced in October - I put a 24F battery with 750CCA to replace it. Big difference in starting.

The factory battery was "fine" twice before the dealer said - oh it is intermittent - we will replace it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My civic and CRV didn’t have the stock batteries in them right off the lot.

I waited and got a good deal on two old stock vehicles still on the lot.

Batteries were dead, they replaced them with larger Diehards.

• Batteries are the first thing you look at on Hondas when any electrical oddity pops up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said the battery is 9 months old 435 CCA and Advance Auto checked it this evening and it's fine

·
Registered
359 Posts
As I said the battery is 9 months old 435 CCA and Advance Auto checked it this evening and it's fine

A 435CC battery is small and weak for the demands of a modern vehicle, and it combines with the dual rate charging system in Hondas which can result in a constant undercharged condition.

The weak battery can supply too little power to the starter which can cause overheating of the starter and other components. This results in premature component failures.

There are many threads here on the subject of dead or damaged batteries that test OK at first, but are eventually replaced and the problems are solved.

I’m not saying that this “is” your problem, only that it fits right in with many other threads on the subject.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the battery checked at a different Advance Auto Parts and they ran a bit more intensive test and decided that it was in need of a 45 minute charge which they did with the battery out of the car. That seems to have solved the problem for now. However I do a lot of 1-2 mile trips every day therefore seemingly not enough driving to recharge the battery. So I am thinking that using a trickle charger every 3 or 4 months might prevent this from happening again.

What are your thoughts and if you agree what would be a good charger to get?

·
Registered
359 Posts
You’d be better off with a larger smart charger if that’s the route you want to go.

Putting in a larger battery is easy when the current one needs replacing.

Also, keep your headlights on, this signals the charging system to go into a higher output mode.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You’d be better off with a larger smart charger if that’s the route you want to go.

Putting in a larger battery is easy when the current one needs replacing.

Also, keep your headlights on, this signals the charging system to go into a higher output mode.
Thanks for the tips, especially about the headlights

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
61 Posts
You could use a battery maintainer with permanent leads attached to your battery. You won’t need to pop the hood all the time and the cable is over 10’. Battery Tender is one example. Much superior to a trickle charger.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I didn't post this sooner. The problem was the starter. I had it replaced at a cost of $554 at a local shop with a new Honda OEM starter.

I think it's ridiculous that it had to be replaced at 55000 miles (not 59000 a typo) and 61 months. A starter is a part that used for possibly 1 second each time the car is used. I have been around cars with 200-300000 miles that have never had to replace starters.

As for the battery thanks again for the headlights tip.

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
61 Posts
For others reading this post; getting your starter rebuilt versus replaced can be a much cheaper alternative if you have that service offered in your town. And you can remove the starter yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts