Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed recently that the seat belt fails to retract all the way and sometimes will get squished in the door jamb. Is there a DIY on how to adjust the seat belt retractor?

Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
Its not the tensioner/retraction mechanism.

It usually is a buildup of dirt on the shoulder strap that keeps the belt from winding back.

To clean:

Using a thin cloth rag, first soak it in rubbing alcohol (not soap).

Then, using a credit card, fold the soaked cloth over it. Then, insert the card into the shoulder harness 'stirrup' and work it around a little. Note the junk on the cloth.

Change the position of the cloth on the card, and repeat until the cloth doesn't pick up any more dirt. Don't forget to clean both top & bottom of the stirrup.

Some folks then use the cloth to wipe both sides of the belt webbing, too. (Others say that this dries out the webbing over time...your call.)

++++++++

On other makes' forums, some folks advocate rubbing the belt with Ivory brand soap after cleaning. This DOES lubricate the webbing, but it also encourages rapid dirt buildup in the future.

++++++++

I do this on a regular basis (usually about once a year when I'm doing 'Spring Cleaning' on the car).

PS: Use your wife's credit card, that will save you a LOT of money if it stops working after that! :evil_laug LOL <---just kidding, ladies

Post back with results! :HighFive:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts