Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My new to me 2015 EX with 34k seems to take a long to time warm up in the mornings. For example my prior car which I still drive occasionally is a 2008 Toyota Matrix and upon leaving my home in 35degF outside the car will be at 180-184degF after about 6miles. My CRV in the same outside temp takes about 10miles and tops out at 170-175deg.

I'm using a ScanGaugeII which reads the ODBII port signals for the coolant temp. I've owned dozens of cars/trucks over the years and they all had min operating temp of 180 to 190 degF.

So since the Owners Manual is lame and Honda will not sell a service manual I have to ask, is 170-175degF normal??

Thanks very much.
Edward

·
Registered
113 Posts
No service manual for the CR-V, but referring to the Fit, I found these references: Thermostat Opening temperature Begins to open 169-176 °F (76-80 °C) - Fully open 194 °F (90 °C)

Allow the engine to reach operating temperature (fan comes on at least twice). The pressure should be: Engine Oil Temperature: 176 °F (80 °C)

Seems cool from previous engines I've had, but in the area of what you are seeing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do agree my 2002 does seem to warmup faster than my 2015. The engine RPM's are lower on the 2015 so I think I will drive it in the sport mode until it reaches operating temperature. I have not gone through a winter with it yet here in northern New York Yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I do think it's strange that a modern car would warm up slower, since back in school IIRC they taught that ICE worked most efficiently at higher cylinder temps but not so high as to cause pre detonation and keeping the intake charge cool.

But then the 2015 CRV AWD MPG is rated better then any other SUV with the 1500lbs towing capability I need, but I figured that higher MPG was due to that slick CVT. And with just about 1000 miles I'm averaging 31.1mpg so I'll not complain :)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
Temp you are getting matches my experience. I've only seen higher temps when the engine has been under heavy load.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CR-V EX AWD in Mountain Air Metallic (Teal)
79 Posts
I bought my 2016 EX "V" this past July, and was getting great MPG's until the weather temp took a nosedive last week here in the Philly area. And I noticed that my '16 (same as a '15 engine) was being very slow to warm up, as well. It was only down to 41 degrees today when I just filled my tank this morning, drove it 8 miles, and it was already slightly down off the full mark on the fuel gauge, and it's showing an average of 19.8 MPG?! In warmer temps it's always averaged at least 25 to 27 MPG on local errands. My 2001 "V" warms up way quicker, and gets at least 20 to 22 MPG in these 40 degree temps on short, local trips. What the heck?! I might as well just drive my old one in the cold weather if this is the case. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if there's something wrong here? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
Winter gas and I swear I do shorter trips in winter. My summer to winter mpg as tracked on Fuelly always shows a difference.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CR-V EX AWD in Mountain Air Metallic (Teal)
79 Posts
Thank you, GeoffG and Rocky. But, that still doesn't explain why the engine takes way longer to warm up in my 2016 vs. how quickly my 2001 warms up? I completely know about Winter blend gas, and I agree that it can lower MPG's, but in my '01 Winter blend gas usually had an affect of a couple less MPG's. Not 7 to 9 MPG's less. I strongly feel that the MPG's are also being affected by the slow warm up. An engine runs richer when cold, so that means that an engine that stays cold longer is going to use up more fuel for a longer period of time until it warms up and leans out the air/fuel mixture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts