Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Canadian made 2015 Honda CR-V which I was having intermittent starting problems. It would only click and after several attepts it would start. Eventually it will only click and will not start. I changed the battery becaue a load test indicated it was slightly weak. Now, I would like to start by changing the starter relay, but cannot find where it is located, there is no pattern in the fusebox cover and nothing in the manual. Has anyone had this problem? If yes, how did you rectify it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, similar problem. Last year I kept having trouble starting the car but battery tested ok. Finally replaced with a new battery and haven’t had a problem until last week. Same clicking when I go to start, goes to accessory mode, might have to try a couple more times before it starts. Taking it in to Honda for diagnostic later this week

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had identical issue, click but no start. Over a few weeks, got worse. After writing letter to Honda Canada [dealer was not helpful] problem was diagnosed as bad starter, which fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,043 Posts
Clicking is a clear sign of a bad starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Than you for your responses sorry l could not reply earlier as l am not very computer savvy, and could not get back on your website. My son helped me get back to your website today. I did locate the starter relay, changed it , still clicked so l pulled the starter and too it to a local rebuild shop and they said they won’t rebuild any Honda starters from 2012 up because they can’t guarantee them .They Tested it and said it seemed fine , but it didn’t seem to be really strong as the starter l just put in my wife’ Dodge caravan so went to the Honda dealer and asked if there were any issues, recalls , or any service bulletins regarding Honda starters .Answer was no .so went back to the rebuild shop and ordered a new starter for $ 235 Canadian , put it in seems fine. Since then on only two occasions it didn’t start first time. Got my fingers crossed. Again than you for your responses .

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
526 Posts
Seems I've read these models had some odd electrical problems with the battery discharging. If it's convenient, put the car on trickle charge overnight, see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Than you for your responses sorry l could not reply earlier as l am not very computer savvy, and could not get back on your website. My son helped me get back to your website today. I did locate the starter relay, changed it , still clicked so l pulled the starter and too it to a local rebuild shop and they said they won’t rebuild any Honda starters from 2012 up because they can’t guarantee them .They Tested it and said it seemed fine , but it didn’t seem to be really strong as the starter l just put in my wife’ Dodge caravan so went to the Honda dealer and asked if there were any issues, recalls , or any service bulletins regarding Honda starters .Answer was no .so went back to the rebuild shop and ordered a new starter for $ 235 Canadian , put it in seems fine. Since then on only two occasions it didn’t start first time. Got my fingers crossed. Again than you for your responses .
Yes, similar problem. Last year I kept having trouble starting the car but battery tested ok. Finally replaced with a new battery and haven’t had a problem until last week. Same clicking when I go to start, goes to accessory mode, might have to try a couple more times before it starts. Taking it in to Honda for diagnostic later this week
What was the diagnosis outcome for your case?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did replacing the starter solve the problem completely?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a Canadian made 2015 Honda CR-V which I was having intermittent starting problems. It would only click and after several attepts it would start. Eventually it will only click and will not start. I changed the battery becaue a load test indicated it was slightly weak. Now, I would like to start by changing the starter relay, but cannot find where it is located, there is no pattern in the fusebox cover and nothing in the manual. Has anyone had this problem? If yes, how did you rectify it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been going through the same thing over the last month. I replaced the battery in February, and the starter was a LITTLE better. Over the last week, it got worse and my care would not start at all on Saturday. My car is now in the shop getting a new starter.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,497 Posts
The first thing to do is to clean up the battery posts and cable terminals
Then follow negative cable to chassis ground. Clean up contact points.
Locate the engine grounding strap and clean those contact points.
This eliminates the chance it is a corrosion problem.
And makes diagnosing the issue a little easier.

Going to the schematics. We can follow the power from the battery to the ignition switch.
And from the ignition switch to the starter relay. And the park/neutral safety switch.
Then down to the starter motor solenoid. And then the starter itself.

If one just goes to change the battery then it might clean up the terminals
And the issue may return again. They must be properly cleaned.
Guessing and throwing parts at the problem might solve it
But, it can get costly. Good luck.

Note: This original post was from May of 2019.

·
Registered
2014 CRV
57 Posts
As mentioned above check the battery condition and first make sure it is fully charged.
Your problem is possibly the "Dual Mode" charging system which reduces the alternator output to about 12.2 volts and zero amps when the demand is low. If your driving habits are mainly short trips you may not be getting enough "on time" at about 14 volts and so the battery will gradually run down to a point where it will no longer start the engine.
Some people fiercely defend Honda and say the system works well and was put in place to improve fuel mileage. Never the less this problem does exist and it results in lots of batteries being unnecessarily sold and installed.

Always drive with your headlights on.

This will increase the load such that the voltage regulator will operate at the higher output and the battery will always stay charged. I had to purchase one battery before I analyzed all this and discovered the solution. You will find much has been written about this if you search "Honda dual Mode" or battery issues.
In the meantime if it is not too late or inconvenient you can fully charge your old battery (not very old) overnight with a battery charger of moderate size even a trickle charger and you will probably get a lot more life out of it if you drive with your headlights on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, my 2015 CRV EXL awd is another that can be added to the list of starters gone bad :( The car has only 58k miles, and has had intermittent issues with starting. We changed the battery a few weeks ago as it was older, and realized pretty fast we still had a problem. Took it to a local independent Honda mechanic today and confirmed what all our troubleshooting was pointing to -- bad starter. It'll be some $600+ to replace it. Not something we expected for a low mileage, 6-year-old, well maintained Honda.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,571 Posts
OP hasnt been on in 2 years. Closing thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.