Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2015 Touring with 43,000 miles from my local Honda dealer. It’s not Certified Pre-Owned, but it’s clean and everything works. I picked it up from the dealer this afternoon and drove it home (about a 20 mile drive); about 17 miles into that drive it just died. I pulled over and tried to start it; it would crank but not catch. On the fourth try it started again, but every system it has (and it has a lot of systems) now wants to be checked and all of their little warning icons are lit up. It drove fine the rest of the way home, other than complaining about how everything wanted to be checked.

I of course immediately called the dealer. Their service department is closed until Monday morning, so they can’t do much for me until then, but the sales guy (and the used car manager) suspect the battery. This seems somewhat doubtful to me, as it would crank but not catch, but this car is so much more electronic than anything I’ve ever owned (I’m upgrading from a 2000 CR-V, which you could practically get out and crank if you needed to) that I don’t know if that’s a valid potential diagnosis or not. I did a lot of reading on these forums before I bought it and there certainly doesn’t seem to be an epidemic of 2015 CRVs of any trim level just up and dying for no apparent reason.

Does anyone have any helpful advice? I won’t know anything much until they can look at it on Monday, but I am now more than a little anxious about the whole thing - this is the nicest car I’ve ever owned, and I’m now seriously questioning if buying more than the basic LX was a mistake. Thank you!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,581 Posts
Presumably has some warranty with it.
Odd that it would shut down yet restart. Batteries can act normal yet have a defect that shorts them out. Three years is as long as a factory battery can be trusted for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started it again yesterday, and while it started up just fine, it still wanted to have all of its systems checked out. This morning, anticipating that the dealer is going to want me to drive it back to them, I started it up and drove it the mile and a half to work; it started without any problem (even though it's only about 15F here in balmy Minnesota) and has decided, evidently, that all of its systems are just fine. So no more warning lights or "check XXX system" messages on the multi-information display.

While I was lying in bed Saturday night, trying to fall asleep and obsessing over what had happened, I remembered more clearly the sequence of events. While I was driving along at about 58 mph, the car did a weird, shuddering shake four or five times, and then I started getting warning lights. The one I saw first (although not the only on that came on) was the tire pressure warning indicator, so my first thought was that I'd lost a tire somehow. I pulled over and put the CR-V in park, at which point the revs dropped, it shuddered a couple of times, and stalled. And then it didn't want to start again.

I'm talking to the dealer at 9. Please think good thoughts for me. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I started it again yesterday, and while it started up just fine, it still wanted to have all of its systems checked out. This morning, anticipating that the dealer is going to want me to drive it back to them, I started it up and drove it the mile and a half to work; it started without any problem (even though it's only about 15F here in balmy Minnesota) and has decided, evidently, that all of its systems are just fine. So no more warning lights or "check XXX system" messages on the multi-information display.

While I was lying in bed Saturday night, trying to fall asleep and obsessing over what had happened, I remembered more clearly the sequence of events. While I was driving along at about 58 mph, the car did a weird, shuddering shake four or five times, and then I started getting warning lights. The one I saw first (although not the only on that came on) was the tire pressure warning indicator, so my first thought was that I'd lost a tire somehow. I pulled over and put the CR-V in park, at which point the revs dropped, it shuddered a couple of times, and stalled. And then it didn't want to start again.

I am going with bad battery or a bad ground.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts

Good thoughts for you and I sure hope you post back with the 'cause'. A bad battery will not crank the engine at a decent speed. It sure sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere, but I really wouldn't know where to start except checking the two main grounds. One from the neg terminal of the battery clamp to the frame and the other from that frame (the one the radiator is mounted to) to the engine block.

Hopefully your drive to the Dealer goes OK and they can figure it out and fix it and not just give you a bunch of possibilities and Dealer talk!!
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If it still has the original battery in it, I'm going with that too.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
If it still has the original battery in it, I'm going with that too.
Sure, a bad battery will always crank over the engine fast but will not let it start? I don't really believe that, but with the modern electronic controls, anything is possible. :(
Doesn't make sense to me since even with a battery with just enough charge to 'slowly' turn the engine over, it will usually still 'START', at lease they used to. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It did it a second time, and this time it wouldn't let me drive faster than 10mph afterwards (I assume it put itself into some sort of safe mode, a la Windows). The dealer came down and collected it, and it did it to him, too (which made me feel better about it, honestly). After several conversations back and forth with the dealer and the bank, we all agreed to pretend that this whole thing had never happened, and I bought a different 2015 Touring that only had 16,700 miles on it and is Honda Certified (the dealer didn't have it when I started this process, or I would have gone with it from the beginning); I picked it up yesterday and it is lovely - it does all the things it's supposed to and nothing that it's not supposed to.

I am going to follow up with the dealer to see if they can figure out what the issue was, and I'll update this post if I get an answer. Thank you all for the replies - it was nice to not be suffering alone. :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Wow, what a great outcome!
Here in CA, once you buy it, it's your's till you sell it. No cooling off period.

Is the new(er) one a color you like?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,581 Posts
Sounds like a good dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original one was white; the new one is black. I liked it in white; I prefer it in black.

And they are a good dealer. I picked them because everybody I asked about who I should go buy a car from said "Go to Walser. They're great to work with." So, if you live in the frozen north like me (or at least the Minnesota frozen north), I can now add my own recommendations to that - Walser Honda in Burnsville has been great to deal with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, what a great outcome!
Here in CA, once you buy it, it's your's till you sell it. No cooling off period.

Is the new(er) one a color you like?
I thought that only applied to new cars? I got a 2015 CRV that was loaded with problems too, returned it to CarMax and got my $ back and then bought a 2017 CRV from another dealer who also gave me 5 days to try it.

For a new car they all basically said "all sales final," so I avoided those.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I thought that only applied to new cars? I got a 2015 CRV that was loaded with problems too, returned it to CarMax and got my $ back and then bought a 2017 CRV from another dealer who also gave me 5 days to try it.

For a new car they all basically said "all sales final," so I avoided those.
DOH!
Of course, you're right Falcon_73. New cars only. Guess it's been a while since I bought a used car from a dealer. Wait, no it hasn't been THAT long. Must be old age setting in.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The original one was white; the new one is black. I liked it in white; I prefer it in black.

And they are a good dealer. I picked them because everybody I asked about who I should go buy a car from said "Go to Walser. They're great to work with." So, if you live in the frozen north like me (or at least the Minnesota frozen north), I can now add my own recommendations to that - Walser Honda in Burnsville has been great to deal with.
That's cool that you like it, or rather prefer it, in the color you ended up with.
I've had black cars before and will avoid having another if at all possible. They only look clean for the 30 seconds after you finish washing them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts