Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments by an old fart with a new car.

As a new member of the CRV owners’ website, I’ve been paying special attention to comments regarding the navigation system in the CRV. One would think for as much money as these people charge for the navigation system, it would be bulletproof and state-of-the-art. Unfortunately, it is not. Let me take a moment to contrast the Honda system with my $114 portable Tom-Tom and our newly purchased 2016 Mazda Miata navigation system.
1 – Says the name of the streets as it’s giving directions: Honda, no except for interstates. Tom-Tom, yes. Miata, yes.
2 – Shows speed limit and indicates when you are speeding: Honda, no. Tom-Tom, yes. Miata, yes.
3 – Can be set to zoom in or out automatically based on current speed: Honda, no. Tom-Tom, yes. Miata, yes.
4 – Displays name of streets on screen: Honda, no or very few based on zoom level. Tom-Tom, yes. Miata, some.
5 – Free map updates (and this is the most important to me) Honda, no. Tom-Tom, yes lifetime. Miata, yes the three years.

Least you think that the Honda system is useless, let me say it is not. It has some pretty neat features, and although most of us have become jaded to the technological marvels surrounding us, if you stop to think about it it’s still an amazing piece of equipment.

Rather than just critiquing the system let me see if I can provide some practical help for my fellow navigation system owners. I was having difficulty (as in I couldn’t do it) inputting street address and points of interest (nearest ATM, nearest Honda dealer etc.) with voice command. I had occasion to be at the dealer and was talking to my salesman, who had done a terrific job demonstrating the features of the vehicle both before and after the purchase, and told him about my problems. He tried it and it worked perfectly. So at that point I was contemplating either putting a bullet in the Nav system or in me.

But apparently here was the issue. I had turned off the voice prompt option as I found this to be pretty annoying. And that apparently was causing the problem. What the salesman showed me was if I pressed the voice button twice then said “address”, it would be ready to accept a voice input. I then needed to press the voice button twice again and simply dictate the entire address consisting of number, street, town, and state and it worked perfectly. In a similar manner pressing the voice button twice and saying “locate nearest ATM” also works perfectly. So if you are having a similar problem you may want to try this simple procedure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I find the free phone apps (WAZE, etc) to beat out the built in nav and the standalone devices. I agree with everything else. The built in will get you there and does as promised, but seems to have so many extra steps and it's so "chatty". Easy acceptance of a destination by name or address, spoken street names, map updates, notification of speed traps, accidents, pot holes, construction, bad weather, ETA, broken down vehicles on road, objects on road are all important features, too - IMO. Those are the benefits of using an app, which is tied in via the internet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I honestly haven't even used the Navigation in my Touring, but then again i haven't gone anywhere i don't know how to get to. I got the Touring because of all the extra safety technology (which you can't get with the other trims) and the power liftgate. I also got it because i figure if i'm going to have this car for the next 10 years i might as well get a fully loaded model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts