Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When researching our current vehicle (2015 CRV LX) I read countless posts about the infamous VTC rattle on 2014 and prior models. Thought if we got a 2015 then we wouldn't have the issue, maybe that was just my misunderstanding that the issue was resolved. Well here we are and every morning or after leaving the vehicle for 6-8 hours we are presented with that awful noise. If it happens in a parking lot people turn and look at the car. Embarrassing to say the least.

When we first heard the noise, dealer said likely VTC actuator and and not to worry because it doesn't harm the vehicle. So we waited until we had some time to leave it overnight at the dealership (1 hour drive from us) and the next morning they said they heard the noise but it's not the actuator, it's the tensioner. 3 week wait for parts and yet another drive back in and we had the tensioner replaced. The next morning the sound is back! Dealer wants us to bring it back in because they still aren't sure that it would be the VTC actuator since the TSBs they have only cover 2014 and not 2015. I found reference to a TSB (US) A18010F but I don't have access to the details, only going by what I see on the net. I'm in Canada and dealer said he can't find the equivalent over here.

Considering bringing to a closer Honda dealer to cut down on the time as this looks like it is going to be a game of sound whack-a-mole. I'll update with whatever they tell me.

I have a youtube video with the sound but can't post links yet. If you search YouTube for "awakewater crv rattle" those 2 videos are mine. One with door open and one with door close on two separate days.

I know many of you have the issue with prior models but anyone with 2015 or newer having the same sound?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes with 2015 EX.
Looking for the thread I found recently talking about using 5W20, a good synthetic filter (Wix XP for example), 100 Ml of Liqui Moly 2009 and full to slightly over on the oil. I have done that and just beginning testing. This morning I do not believe I heard the noise. I'll continue to monitor and report back.

·
Registered
491 Posts
When researching our current vehicle (2015 CRV LX) I read countless posts about the infamous VTC rattle on 2014 and prior models. Thought if we got a 2015 then we wouldn't have the issue, maybe that was just my misunderstanding that the issue was resolved. Well here we are and every morning or after leaving the vehicle for 6-8 hours we are presented with that awful noise. If it happens in a parking lot people turn and look at the car. Embarrassing to say the least.

When we first heard the noise, dealer said likely VTC actuator and and not to worry because it doesn't harm the vehicle. So we waited until we had some time to leave it overnight at the dealership (1 hour drive from us) and the next morning they said they heard the noise but it's not the actuator, it's the tensioner. 3 week wait for parts and yet another drive back in and we had the tensioner replaced. The next morning the sound is back! Dealer wants us to bring it back in because they still aren't sure that it would be the VTC actuator since the TSBs they have only cover 2014 and not 2015. I found reference to a TSB (US) A18010F but I don't have access to the details, only going by what I see on the net. I'm in Canada and dealer said he can't find the equivalent over here.

Considering bringing to a closer Honda dealer to cut down on the time as this looks like it is going to be a game of sound whack-a-mole. I'll update with whatever they tell me.

I have a youtube video with the sound but can't post links yet. If you search YouTube for "awakewater crv rattle" those 2 videos are mine. One with door open and one with door close on two separate days.

I know many of you have the issue with prior models but anyone with 2015 or newer having the same sound?
Here's link to Honda ServiceNews article A18010F: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10127348-9999.pdf
It states: "We’re anticipating a service bulletin with troubleshooting and repair info in the near future." That was Jan 2018 and there's been no such TSB posted on the NHTSA site since then.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Visiting Autoguysland to get the answer how long can i drive with a misfiring cylinder if you concern.

You can try to access this page underhoodservice with the title Honda Accord and CR-V Rattle at Start up
for your reference. They show the tip and the repair procedure of this issue. Hope it help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can try to access this page underhoodservice with the title Honda Accord and CR-V Rattle at Start up
for your reference. They show the tip and the repair procedure of this issue. Hope it help.
  1. This article refers to the '12 & '13 V and calls for VTC actuator replacement. It's a different issue on the '15 V as noted in the Honda ServiceNews article above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's link to Honda ServiceNews article A18010F: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10127348-9999.pdf
It states: "We’re anticipating a service bulletin with troubleshooting and repair info in the near future." That was Jan 2018 and there's been no such TSB posted on the NHTSA site since then.
Thanks for the link, that's the one I was looking for but didn't have the full info. I'm booked to leave the vehicle overnight this week so they can hear the noise, I think I will keep the appointment so at least I'm on record with the complaint. I'm out of warranty in 2 months.

Otherwise I'm thinking Spartan86's recommendations above may be the next thing to try. I'm really tired of hearing it every morning.

I'll update with what the Honda dealer says for the record and I'll report back if I try the oil treatment along with my results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Honda service said the sound was the VTC actuator and they are going to replace it under warranty. Parts need to be ordered so I'm looking at next week.

I'll continue to update as I go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Repair (under warranty) completed yesterday and first start this morning and no noise! This is the first morning start that I haven't heard the noise in a long time so I am cautiously optimistic.

If I understand correctly there is no long term fix so I will update if/when it comes back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

VTC noise on start up still gone but the vehicle started leaking oil. I check under the car for drips in my garage weekly so this is something that started right around the time when I got it back. Brought it to dealer and they said the spool valve was faulty and said it wasn't related to any of the work done on the actuator. Seemed like an easy enough fix for me to do but it's cold here now so just had them do it. Not part of the powertrain warranty so I paid 120 parts and 70 labor (CDN).

I wondered if they damaged it while doing the other work but can't prove that and don't know the VTC actuator change procedure well enough to even guess if that is a possibility. Maybe someone here with more knowledge can enlighten me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts