Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a definitive answer as to when to change the coolant on a 2015 CRV. I know the manual says to use the indicator on the dash when the code comes up.

However, is there a definitive answer from a Honda as to when and how many miles one should change the coolant if the indicator does not light up?

I know on my Ford it gives a time and or mileage recommendation in the manual. Honda does not seem to do so, I would like to know at how many miles it would be proper to change the coolant or how many months.

If there are any Honda technicians reading this I would greatly appreciate an answer.

Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Last time i checked, i think it was 8 years because it's a long life coolant; just make sure to use genuine Honda Type 2 fluid. Do not use that all makes all models universal stuff because it doubt it's silicate free OR people just use tap water with all the minerals and stuff that screw up the tstat and water pump. I'm not a Honda Tech or anything just someone that slings parts all day long for a local parts store.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
433 Posts
I would follow the MM schedule and not worry about it, unless you have specific problems. I remember somewhere stating 100k miles or 7 years somewhere along that line.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does Honda make antifreeze?.......I doubt it. When you take the time to read the label on the Prestone bottle, one will see that it contains NO silicates. It doesn't contain Honda blue food coloring either. Prestone.......any make, any model, any color, all cars and light duty trucks or they would be out of business and defending lots of law suites.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Since you only replace about half of the coolant per Honda's method, I always use the OEM Type II stuff. It is a simple drain & fill. Not changing (or flushing) ALL the coolant is why Honda recommends a sooner interval after that initial replacement.

The Prestone bottle only suggests long intervals if it is undiluted (that is, if you flush & replace it all, no mixing)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts