Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2016 AWD CRV 9 months ago. A few months ago it started making a whining/whistling sound in low gear. It's not loud, but definitely audible and it stops when the car gets up to 30mph. Anyone have this issue? Is it a problem with the transmission or low transmission fluid? Dealer recommended we replace/flush transmission fluid at 34k miles and we declined as the MM was only for a B1 and it looks like transmission fluid is B3 and rear differential is a B6. Should I have the car looked at or wait until next service?
My husband doesn't hear the noise but I definitely do.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Some minimal belt whining is normal with CVT vs an old style transmission, although they do their best to insulate it. You'll notice it mostly at low speeds, if driving between buildings or against something large that reflects the sound back with windows open. We have the same with our 2015 cars, which are the same as the 2016.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
34K is a fine interval for CVT fluid change. My Toyota dealer said the fluid was good for the lifetime of the car and there is no schedule for replacement. Took me years to find out the actual fluid change interval by the transmission manufacturer was stated 37K.

Reactions: Carbuff2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts