Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very faint "bird chirp" coming from my 2016 CRV LX 2WD engine compartment. It does seem to get quieter and less frequent as the engine heats up. At start while the engine is cold it is almost a constant chirping. I shook the vehicle to verify it wasn't just something that came loose which is wasn't. The mileage is 25K and I did buy the vehicle new so I guess I should just bring it into the dealer to have it checked but thought I'd see if anyone else had this issue? This way I can potentially be "informed" before I take it to the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
A “trick” you might try........spray a short shot of WD40 at/on a belt pulley, if the chirp is coming from the serpentine belt, the chirp will stop momentarily.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To further clarify, the chirping is so faint that you wouldn't hear it while driving. I hear it when I have the hood up and am standing right in front of the car while it's idling, again, very faint. I plan to take the car in this Friday to let the dealer listen. I'll report back what happens.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,782 Posts
Diagnosing noises over a silent internet is hard to say the least. Direct injection engines are by nature of very high pressure in the fuel rail and noisier as a result.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Good luck! With the cacophony of noises under the hood, you might be hard-pressed to pinpoint the source of the noise. :doh:(I couldn't find the bad A/C clutch on our Fit until it totally failed...it was only noisy on cold days during the first 60 seconds of operation.) :wall:

For sure, get a mechanics stethoscope (or a length of heater hose, held to your ear).

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'd spray somethi g other than wd40 on the belt (because wd40 will cause noise issues for the belt if the belt is actually good). Brake cleaner works well.

If noise goes away then done.

Honestly a very faint chirp only heard when under the hood could be a million things and none of which mean anything is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I'd say call the exterminator, and stop being so cheep. Just kidding, keep us posted on how it turns out. With low mileage the belt should not be an issue, nor should a pulley, but you never know. There is a belt dressing available at auto parts stories that could help if it's just a noisy belt, but that also could be a band-aid on a bullet wound, since a broken belt would be an expensive fix on the side of the road. Heck, it's expensive in the shop, and requires special tools, which is why I'd take it back to the seller first. As a side note, it could also conceivably be coming from one of the fans if it is happening while they are running. But the belt is the primary suspect. There are only a few external moving parts on the engine. Of course, compressor/clutch, and alternator or power steering bearings are possibilities, but less likely than the belt, though they would be in the same location as the belt. There is also the fact that that belt is designed to last a long time, and most do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To further clarify, the chirping is so faint that you wouldn't hear it while driving. I hear it when I have the hood up and am standing right in front of the car while it's idling, again, very faint. I plan to take the car in this Friday to let the dealer listen. I'll report back what happens.
Hey Aron, I am having the very same problem today. It’s a sporadic, faint bird chirping. was Hoping to get an update on your situation...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts