Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you own a 2016 CR-V Touring this may be of interest.

The owner’s manual that came with your CR-V, page 105, says that in Lane Keeping Assist that the steering wheel should vibrate to warn you that the car is leaving the lane. If you call Honda about why this feature does not work they will say they changed the manual on 10/13/2016 and removed that wording.

We do not believe they can avoid making a feature work by editing the owner’s manual.

We are considering a class action lawsuit on this matter and want to know if there are enough owners that want to be involved.

If you are interested post here and I will make further contact by PM.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The following is from page 3 of my 2015 CR-V Owners Manual. You can be sure it appears in your manual also of any year of manufacture.

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimbob15,

That disclaimer you posted is in reference to "specifications or design" not "features". The LKAS, (Lane keeping Assist), and it's alerts are a feature.
Dimensions, curb weight, MPG, horsepower would fall into the category of specifications. Body shape, lighting arrangement, exterior / interior trim, fall into the "design" category.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Jimbob15,

That disclaimer you posted is in reference to "specifications or design" not "features". The LKAS, (Lane keeping Assist), and it's alerts are a feature.
Dimensions, curb weight, MPG, horsepower would fall into the category of specifications. Body shape, lighting arrangement, exterior / interior trim, fall into the "design" category.
I think the disclaimer applies in this case. I think a suit would be without merit and the plaintiffs might be required to pay for Honda's legal fees (in some states).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were you promised this feature at purchase?

Did you know about it at purchase?

what are your damages?
Yes. I researched the owners manual on the Honda web site before ever going to the dealer. The web site had a copy of the owners manual, it listed the features and what trim model was required to get this feature. After the purchase the customer assistant tried to show me how to use some of the features like paring the radio and could not make it work so I showed him how it was done. His remark was "obviously you know more than me, I just started last week", he went on to say it is all in the manual or I can call Honda America. Honda America referred me to the dealer service dept to get it working, their service manager spent an hour with me driving and trying different things still not getting to work. Everyone from corp down felt this should work.

Damages, I purchased this car specifically for the safety features and the tactile lane assist is very important to me. I prefer Honda but would have gone with another brand if I had known this feature would not work. Honda mis-represented this vehicle and I am stuck in a contract.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gee- You might actually have to pay attention while driving.
You better sue somebody or get a self driving car.

While some of these safety features are nice, it makes driver's lazy behind the wheel.
Do you get an audible alarm? Will you pay attention to that alarm?

I have an older CR-V without all the buzzers and bells and
have to actually drive the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
gotcha - well you're entitled to follow suit as you feel is correct

If you feel unsafe - you should sell it and buy a "safer" car (at least you should have good resale value)

What do you base this statement on?
"That disclaimer you posted is in reference to "specifications or design" not "features". The LKAS, (Lane keeping Assist), and it's alerts are a feature.
Dimensions, curb weight, MPG, horsepower would fall into the category of specifications. Body shape, lighting arrangement, exterior / interior trim, fall into the "design" category."

Yes. I researched the owners manual on the Honda web site before ever going to the dealer. The web site had a copy of the owners manual, it listed the features and what trim model was required to get this feature. After the purchase the customer assistant tried to show me how to use some of the features like paring the radio and could not make it work so I showed him how it was done. His remark was "obviously you know more than me, I just started last week", he went on to say it is all in the manual or I can call Honda America. Honda America referred me to the dealer service dept to get it working, their service manager spent an hour with me driving and trying different things still not getting to work. Everyone from corp down felt this should work.

Damages, I purchased this car specifically for the safety features and the tactile lane assist is very important to me. I prefer Honda but would have gone with another brand if I had known this feature would not work. Honda mis-represented this vehicle and I am stuck in a contract.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the response but the topic is not to discuss the merits of the car, manual, or whether the lawsuit is valid, there is another thread to discuss that.

The purpose of this thread is stated in the title and first post, please stay on topic. If you you want to be included in the class action then post.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I appreciate all the response but the topic is not to discuss the merits of the car, manual, or whether the lawsuit is valid, there is another thread to discuss that.

The purpose of this thread is stated in the title and first post, please stay on topic. If you you want to be included in the class action then post.
I would never join "anything" without weighing the merit and validity of it / questioning everything and everyone who has some "skin in it".

So far it seems you want to sue honda, without any actual financial damages, for the lack of an additional indicator system that was (supposedly) briefly mentioned during print.

The system still employs buzzers, visual indicators and even active steering controls

It seems unlikely this feature was ever advertised as a feature wasn't included in production.

And there is a disclaimer in the same manual you want base your claim on: stating "specs were valid at time of print but may change without notice" -

I have lots more to say about how i feel this is frivolous and a waste of the courts time, but i will be polite - best of luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the manual that was delivered with the car says it is installed, and a call to American Honda elicits the response that it should be working, and pre-purchase research indicated that it would be on the car, then there is a case. But - if it was never actually installed on these cars, there's not much that you can be "compensated" for, except, perhaps, a favorable trade-in on a 2017 that does have this feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you own a 2016 CR-V Touring this may be of interest.

The owner’s manual that came with your CR-V, page 105, says that in Lane Keeping Assist that the steering wheel should vibrate to warn you that the car is leaving the lane. If you call Honda about why this feature does not work they will say they changed the manual on 10/13/2016 and removed that wording.

We do not believe they can avoid making a feature work by editing the owner’s manual.

We are considering a class action lawsuit on this matter and want to know if there are enough owners that want to be involved.

If you are interested post here and I will make further contact by PM.
Interested

1 - 12 of 12 Posts