Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased 2016 CR-V with ~36k miles. After changing the oil today, I noticed a prominent knocking sound coming from the top of the engine. It sounded like someone tapping on the plastic valve cover. The oil was at normal level and the engine was warmed up fully, but the oil probably wasn't quite to temp yet. A very slight throttle application seemed to maybe increase the noise, but not much before it wasn't audible anymore. I noticed a similar knocking noise a few months ago that went away after the engine had ran for just a few seconds, but this time, I left it running for a couple minutes with no change in the sound.

My earlier research seemed to point to the timing chan tensioner bleeding off oil pressure, but this noise seems to be higher up in the engine. I have no reason to suspect the car has been abused. It was by far the cleanest used car we looked at and you could tell that it was well cared for. All service was done at the local Honda dealer. I think HondaCare will be purchased tomorrow, not just because of this noise, but just for peace of mind.

I've included a video taken today and one from a few months ago. I'm not sure what to make of it. If anyone has experienced a similar noise under similar circumstances, I'd love to hear about it.

Video from today:

Video from a few months ago:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sounds like a normal sound from the high-pressure fuel pump, but that’s at the opposite end of the valve cover. Maybe take another listen?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure it’s the fuel pump. I put 60k miles on a 2013 Accord with the Earth Dreams 2.4l and never hear this noise. My friends 2015 Accord with the same engine doesn't make this noise, either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine sounds like that too and i've been running the required 0w20 in it since the beginning.
Good to know. Looking back at my YouTube channel, I've posted "Is this noise normal" videos for several of my other cars, and they never had any engine issues even past 100k miles in one case. I guess it's a characteristic noise, or at least somewhat common. May make an appointment to get it on record if anything arises in the future.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least someone else has this noise, which is somewhat comforting. Anyone else have this noise with their engine?

·
Registered
32 Posts
At least someone else has this noise, which is somewhat comforting. Anyone else have this noise with their engine?
Hi. I bought a 2016 CR-V with 2.4L engine back in August, used with 52k miles. I didn't hear any noise like you're describing, but I drained the original oil and put in full synthetic 5w-20. I'm in Southern California, so 5w-20 is safe for my car, instead of the usual 0w-20. Not hearing any noise either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I bought a 2016 CR-V with 2.4L engine back in August, used with 52k miles. I didn't hear any noise like you're describing, but I drained the original oil and put in full synthetic 5w-20. I'm in Southern California, so 5w-20 is safe for my car, instead of the usual 0w-20. Not hearing any noise either.
What brand of synthetic oil do you recommend? and what filter should be used with that oil?

I just bought a 2016 with 47K miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
no. noise is clearly heard by the engine. i doubt any of the valves. does anyone know if they are self-regulating or adjusting manually?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did it make this noise as loudly before the oil change? If so then consider draining some out and put in a few quarts of 5w-30.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts