Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a dipstick ...............

We bought a used 2016 CR-V EX today from a Honda dealer with 28K miles on it. The vehicle service reports showed a an oil change by the selling dealer, and I have to confess, I did not even CHECK the oil before buying it.

Engine sounded great, drove fine, etc. Car is in nice shape.

After we got home (100 miles), I checked the oil and noticed:
1) The oil LEVEL is at the top 'hole' = good
2) The oil color is nice and clean ('honey' or clearer) = good
3) some rust on the upper portion of the dipstick (saw some reports on the web that refer to this as 'peeling')
4) some dark crud on the tip of the dipstick .......... I wiped it clean/re-inserted it/re-examined it several times - less crud each time

I've been changing oil for 40 years - not sure I've ever seen the rust and crud before. Is this a dipstick issue ? Dipstick TUBE issue ? An engine issue ?

Please advise

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
I'd be most concerned about the 'crud' on the very bottom of the stick. Perhaps enough to change/drain the oil and inspect what comes out. If the engine is clean under the valve cover (look into the filler cap) it will be OK. If not, maybe it was leased by someone who didn't change oil. :mad: :confused:

As for the 'peeling', that could be a result of the car sitting idle on the dealer lot? Any idea how long it was sitting before you bought it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Carfax service reports showed the 1st oil changed at 5000 miles (higher than I would have gone) and about 7000 miles for each change after that, so probably not too bad for a lease. (Personally, I never go beyond 5000, even with synthetic.)

The car did sit at the dealer for 4 months (in MN from late Jan - late May), which did trouble me, but I'm guessing winter in general and COVID-19 played a big part in that.

I'm going to get the car up on ramps tomorrow and hopefully not find any surprises underneath.

I will pull the oil cap and take a look inside, too.

On the dipstick itself, could a 180 degree rotation (ie incorrect positioning) be causing it to scrape the tube in such a way to knock down some grit ? Wondering, if I only insert the dipstick part way (ie not far enough to reach oil) and then remove it ................. and there is grit shown, does that somehow make me fell better .......... that the grit is in the tube, but not the oil itself ........... YET !

Thinking back, I had a Ford Exporer TRANSMISSION dispstick tube that was actually rusting away and had similar grit - had to replace the tube. It was 15 years old, so a little more understandable, but still something I'd never heard of happening.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Some engines tend to form condensation on the inside of the engine when used in cold conditions with frequent short drives, where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up, to the point the condensation is "cooked" off. There are some manufactures engines that are more susceptible than others.
I wouldn't take the sign of "grit" in any form or location as better than none being present at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I peered inside the oil cap today - looked very clean, no signs of crud, sludge, or rust. Cant see too far inside, but nothing obvious to me.

I also looked at the disptick tube - no signs of being rusted through or holes or being a replacement. I do think that with the bends in the tube, the dipstick goes in much less smooth if its rotated 180 degress from its normal position, so I suspect that might be causing some of the tube to be rubbed and shedding some grit.

I'm going to attach a couple of dispstick pics to show the rust on it.

I've got 5 days to return this car if I need to ................ debating.

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
That surface rust is probably from the car sitting. Smear it with engine oil the next time you check the level...it will be fine IMO.

The chassis rust you posted can be mitigated as I said on the other Topic.

I think your V is fine...and will last a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts