Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some older posts on this subject, but I though maybe the specs for the entertainment system have changed.
I just leased an Ex-L. I've been able to connect my iPod classic to the USB port, and it works pretty well. The music is all ACC. But I have a bunch of extra 500gb portable hard drives lying around, and I thought I might be able to load up ALAC files onto the hard drive and use that.

Anyone know if this is possible? Will the unit play Redbook and higher files? I use a Mac -- how do I need to format the hard drive? Do I export the music files from my iTunes onto the hard drive? Copy them?

Thank in advance.

Moosbrugger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way -- I don't suppose there is a way to upgrade the factory entertainment system with a voice-activated system? I find the user interface a bit awkward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've seen some older posts on this subject, but I though maybe the specs for the entertainment system have changed.
I just leased an Ex-L. I've been able to connect my iPod classic to the USB port, and it works pretty well. The music is all ACC. But I have a bunch of extra 500gb portable hard drives lying around, and I thought I might be able to load up ALAC files onto the hard drive and use that.

Anyone know if this is possible? Will the unit play Redbook and higher files? I use a Mac -- how do I need to format the hard drive? Do I export the music files from my iTunes onto the hard drive? Copy them?

Thank in advance.

Moosbrugger
I have a 2016 CR-V LX

You need to format the thumb drive to fat32. There are lots of freeware programs to do this as windows won't format fat32 above 8 gigs in size. (Don't know about a Mac) I filled up a 64 Gig thumb drive, with root directory containing all the band names and from there album names and then mp3's and m4a. It worked, but doesn't display all the root directories, so my scroll list is huge with album names. The owners manual states "Your audio system reads and plays sound files on a USB flash drive in either MP3, WMA or AAC*1 format." If you downloaded music from itunes and they are copy protected they won't work. As for playing off a hard drive, I don't know if the usb port will supply enough power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts