Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I just bought a 2016 CR-V AWD, and was trying to connect my iphone 6. I saw a Youtube video with people mirroring their iphone to the screen via HDMI while in the parking mode. I understand that you need to either jailbreak your iphone or go thru steps to "hack" your head unit each time. My issue is that my phone won't even mirror the screen while in the park mode! I can only hear the sound while playing the video (no screen). ONLY time it will mirror my iphone screen (for less than a second) is while I turn off the Hondalink app. Can any other 2016 owners share their experience?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got this fixed. The issue was my HDMI cable. After switching to the new HDMI cable, it works fine. With the "three button hack", I can confirm that I can mirror my iphone 6 plus while driving. However, the screen looks really washed out, so it's pretty disappointing. Also, you can't skip the music using the steering wheel button while it is running on HDMI, so it's really inconvenient and UNSAFE, since you have to make the adjustment on the phone. So, I think I will just use my dashboard mount with my iphone. I'm pretty disappointed with the feature, considering it is 2016 now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got this fixed. The issue was my HDMI cable. After switching to the new HDMI cable, it works fine. With the "three button hack", I can confirm that I can mirror my iphone 6 plus while driving. However, the screen looks really washed out, so it's pretty disappointing. Also, you can't skip the music using the steering wheel button while it is running on HDMI, so it's really inconvenient and UNSAFE, since you have to make the adjustment on the phone. So, I think I will just use my dashboard mount with my iphone. I'm pretty disappointed with the feature, considering it is 2016 now.
Well at least you are able to connect but I'm still struggling with my Note 3 with my 2015 CRV Touring. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well at least you are able to connect but I'm still struggling with my Note 3 with my 2015 CRV Touring. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey,

I'm sorry, but I'm clueless on Android devices. However, ask I posted, I don't think it's worth your time struggling to get this to work. Your Note 3 is not that much smaller than the indash screen, and with MUCH MUCH bettery screen. I really suggest just getting a quality smartphone clip for your CR-V. I regret even spending 2 hours trying to get this work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We are close to getting a 2016... and I wondered what that HDMI was even for? You can make your iphone screen show up? can you show the map - like pick a destination, hit go, then drive while it shows it?
I saw the hondalink thing but really... $100 for the cable kit and $60 for the nav software is absolutely INSANE. those cables would cost about $3 to make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, you can mirror you iphone with HDMI, with some setting change each time you start the vehicle, because it doesn't save. You can look it up on Youtube how to do it. The touch screen function will not work on the in-dash screen, so all the controls will be done with your phone, except for the volume control. Skipping music, etc doesn't work since it is running via HDMI, not bluetooth. Screen resolution is really bad. It looks very faded. I just purchased the hdmi cable and the dongle from amazon (apple OEM product), and returned it because it was just wasn't worth the trouble. So, if you plan on mirroring your iphone to the car, you WILL be disappointed. If not, you will be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol I wondered why they would use HDMI on such a low res screen.... Anyone know if you can use the nav app with bluetooth or do you HAVE to but the cable set? if not.. then I will just use my phone mount :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used Naviks to interface my phone but the hot GA weather the device start getting froze special leaving your car in heat...so I return it. At one point I was planning to get one for my wife CRV but I guess not. No doubt it work like it's fully integrated into. ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time poster. I just got a new 2016 touring and am disappointed to hear about the iphone mirroring. I know that Lexus can be hacked to do the mirroring including brake function override. Has anyone come across something similar for CR V Touring. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts