Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I check the oil with the dipstick, one side shows the oil a little below the max line, but the other side of the dip stick shows oil way above the max line. My last oil change was back in April 15, 2020 with 5 quarts of full synthetic 0w-20. That was about 1500 miles ago. I haven't driven much since the pandemic started and I'm working from home. So, what is the correct way to read the dipstick? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,502 Posts
does the car require 5 qts or what does the actual book say 4.4 qts. over fill is not the best for a car. just saying, stay tuned while the writers start coming in telling more

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,904 Posts
when I check the oil with the dipstick, one side shows the oil a little below the max line, but the other side of the dip stick shows oil way above the max line
The issue is a common one. The dipstick might be pulling a bit of oil off the side of the tube as you withdraw it. Especially if you do it as the Owners Manual states, 15 minutes after shutdown of a warm engine.

Best advice is to treat the lower indicator of the 'stick as the most accurate reading.

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue is a common one. The dipstick might be pulling a bit of oil off the side of the tube as you withdraw it. Especially if you do it as the Owners Manual states, 15 minutes after shutdown of a warm engine.

Best advice is to treat the lower indicator of the 'stick as the most accurate reading.
So, I"ve been checking the oil in the mornings before I start the car. The manual says to check it 15 minutes after the warm engine is shut down? Why would that make a difference on the oil dipstick?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does the car require 5 qts or what does the actual book say 4.4 qts. over fill is not the best for a car. just saying, stay tuned while the writers start coming in telling more
It's actually 4.6 with oil filter change. And extra 0.4 quarts isn't going to do anything. In fact, a little extra protection is good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, do you guys know what the quart difference on the dip stick between the max dot and min dot? I'm trying to see how much oil it's consuming.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,502 Posts
its 1 quart the min to max but not my car (WINK)

Reactions: Rygrego

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
378 Posts
I think standard car dipstick markings are 1 qt. from min to max.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also, do you guys know what the quart difference on the dip stick between the max dot and min dot? I'm trying to see how much oil it's consuming.
It's usually about 0.5 quarts. If your experiencing excessive oil burn (> a quart every 5000 miles) try changing oil brands. Some of the cheaper oil brands thins out over time; though 0w20 is already pretty thin. I run 5w20 Castrol full synthetic in my Prius w/165000 miles on it. I was experiencing 0.5-0.75 quart oil burn in between 10k mile oil changes @ around 100k miles. I haven't experanced any oil burn or mileage dropoff, after switching to the heavier oil. Snow doesn't stick around here and we rarely stay below 32F for more than a few hours in the evening; so I'm not worried about cold start issues.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,904 Posts
The manual says to check it 15 minutes after the warm engine is shut down? Why would that make a difference on the oil dipstick?
Today's thinner oils expand when they are hot. The delay's purpose is to be more accurate for the actual operating conditions.

Our new-ish European car has the same 'conditions' for oil level checking in its owners manual.
In that car's transmission, we need to have the trans oil at a certain temperature range, too, to meet the criteria for a 'proper fill level'. :rolleyes:

I say, check it the way the owner's manual says, then compare the dipstick level on a cold engine. You'll be fine.

Most car manufacturers today say that burning a qt in 1000 miles is acceptable usage...

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,824 Posts
Most car manufacturers today say that burning a qt in 1000 miles is acceptable usage...
Which is really pathetic. I don't think I have EVER owned a car that burned this much oil...Well perhaps the '63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL 390 c.i d. I had in high school..... But it over heated also. :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's usually about 0.5 quarts. If your experiencing excessive oil burn (> a quart every 5000 miles) try changing oil brands. Some of the cheaper oil brands thins out over time; though 0w20 is already pretty thin. I run 5w20 Castrol full synthetic in my Prius w/165000 miles on it. I was experiencing 0.5-0.75 quart oil burn in between 10k mile oil changes @ around 100k miles. I haven't experanced any oil burn or mileage dropoff, after switching to the heavier oil. Snow doesn't stick around here and we rarely stay below 32F for more than a few hours in the evening; so I'm not worried about cold start issues.
I'm in SoCal. No where near the snow or freezing temps. I wish I could just use 5w-30. But my CR-V is still under warranty. I just feel that 0w-20 is too thin and burns off fast. My car is '16 with 57k miles. I've been using Walmart brand oil. Maybe I'll switch to something else.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmm... weird... I've never had a problem reading the oil on the 2016. In fact, I think it's better than the 2012 since it has a separate oil spout rather than being integrated into the block. As far as oil use, I never had a problem with 0W-20. I use Valvoline synthetic with MaxLife 0W-20 -- oil level is consistent between oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
128 Posts
I'm in SoCal. No where near the snow or freezing temps. I wish I could just use 5w-30. But my CR-V is still under warranty. I just feel that 0w-20 is too thin and burns off fast. My car is '16 with 57k miles. I've been using Walmart brand oil. Maybe I'll switch to something else.
In Pennsylvania, where we can go from below zero to 100f over 12 months, I've been using Mobil1 0W-20 since 2011, I use 5k change intervals, never added any oil between changes. Blackstone Labs UOA's show excellent results. I see no reason for anything heavier. Now, if Honda would improve the dipstick (on the 1.5t) from the stupid orange plastic tip to something you could actually read.......but that's another topic.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,566 Posts
Never bothered to figure out if its a quart between min and max on my 16. It hasn't used any oil. So I can't tell.......

That said, 1 quart difference is typical between those two marks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never bothered to figure out if its a quart between min and max on my 16. It hasn't used any oil. So I can't tell.......

That said, 1 quart difference is typical between those two marks.
So yours doesn't burn any oil? I'm pretty sure mine has burned 1/2 quart since last oil change, which was 1500 miles ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hi. So I took the CR-V to get some food. Came back and then checked the oil on the dipstick, about 20min after. The oil level is now a little above the max dot. So when it's cold, it's below the dot, but when it's still warm, it's above it. Does this oil contract and expand?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,904 Posts
Does this oil contract and expand?
All liquids do that... :)

The goal is to get consistent readings. I know that some owners insist on the level being right at the top (the 'full mark"), but I'm happy when the level stays in the hash marks, the recommended range.

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
54 Posts
So, I"ve been checking the oil in the mornings before I start the car. The manual says to check it 15 minutes after the warm engine is shut down? Why would that make a difference on the oil dipstick?
It makes sense to me to check the oil in a cold vehicle as you wouldn’t want to start and run an engine that was low on oil. I’m 59, farm raised, and we NEVER started an engine and let it warm up only to shut it off and wait 15 min and then check the oil level. That would be daft.
I certainly would encourage your continued practice of checking oil before starting the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts