Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2016 CR V AWD with the 2.4L engine. The car is great, good fuel economy and good power. I checked the service history and the car was a lease and one owner after the lease. Has 83,500 miles on it now and i checked all the fluids that I could on the vehicle before I bought it, I also purchased a 36,000 mile or 3 year warranty for the power train. Thing is, I keep hearing about this oil dilution problem so.. after I made a trip to Portland oregon and back, same day about 300 miles or so.. I thought I would check the oil. I did what honda recommends In their manual, got engine up to operating temperature and then turned it off and let it sit on a flat surface for 3 minutes. I then pulled out the dipstick, wiped it down and put it back in to get the reading. The level was WAY higher than the full mark, over the arching part of the dipstick even and smelled strongly of gasoline. I then removed the oil filler cap and smelled that, very strong smell of gasoline. I thought this problem was limited to the 1.5 turbo and if I was driving on the highway at around 75MPH wouldn't the gasoline evaporate? I'm going to call the dealer I purchased it from to schedule an appointment but was curious if anyone else with this engine has had similar problems and how it went at the dealer if it was under warranty. This is my first honda and first car I've ever bought that was this new, I love my car and its very nice however I tend to have OCD about my things and the thought of this much gasoline in my engine oil is stressful.

Thanks,

Townsend

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same car w/ about 58 k miles. oil changes between 7 and 8 k usually burna about 1/2 qt of 0-20 synthetic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OD is not a 2.4 issue.
I have heard of dealers over filling the oil when they do the changes... it was harder to see the level with clean fluid but as it has darkened it's easier to see. I did check the oil prior to my Portland trip and seemed to be normal... I'm going to have dealer check it out and hope for the best, really like the car. I hope OD is not the issue.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have to disagree. My 2015 had enough of the symptoms (gas smell, rising sump levels) that I’ve had 5 used oil analyses to gauge the extent of the problem. Of the 5, 3 came back with fuel dilution >5% (panic time in the lab’s opinion), one at around 4.5% and one at 3.7%. I should point out that these samples were taken after extensive highway driving in moderate temperatures.

This may not be fuel dilution to the extent of the 1.5T and some is inevitable in DI engines but this still seems excessive to me. The car will be off warranty soon and I have one last test set up with the dealer to see if Honda will help (I probably know the answer already...).

OP, even though you checked fluids when you bought the car, recognize that a hot engine can register a higher sump level than when cold and there’s always the chance that a less-than-level surface could interfere as well. Probably not to the extent you’ve reported, but it could be a factor. In any event, a discussion with your dealer couldn’t hurt. Good luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
100% of every GDI (gas direct injection) engine is going to have some OD (oil dilution). This phenomenon is the same for Diesel engine - which is why they have larger oil pans.
Most car/truck makers that have GDI added 2 additional quarts of oil to the oil pan to compensate for the OD.
Honda did this for the 3.5L in the Pilot but they did not do this for the 2.5L in the Accord and CR-V. That is why I change my oil at 50% MM. Honda went the wrong way (for weight) on the 1.5L by shrinking the oil pan by a quart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
100% of every GDI (gas direct injection) engine is going to have some OD (oil dilution). This phenomenon is the same for Diesel engine - which is why they have larger oil pans.
Most car/truck makers that have GDI added 2 additional quarts of oil to the oil pan to compensate for the OD.
Honda did this for the 3.5L in the Pilot but they did not do this for the 2.5L in the Accord and CR-V. That is why I change my oil at 50% MM. Honda went the wrong way (for weight) on the 1.5L by shrinking the oil pan by a quart.
That's good to know! That makes sense, when I checked the oil it was higher but there were no bubbles and it didnt look foamy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
OTOH, a larger sump makes it more difficult to get the oil up to the temperature needed to begin vaporizing gasoline, a big factor in cold weather, short-trip driving. Engineers have to make lots of trade-offs.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a GDI car running on LPG. I guess oil dilution is not going to be an issue.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
From what I know GDI cannot be converted to LPG - the gasoline/petrol cools the injectors - LPG cannot cool the injectors causing then to burn up in a few 100 miles.
I've been running LPG for 60K miles in a direct injection engine now, no issues.

·
Registered
534 Posts
According to your signature, you have a 2014 - it is not GDI - at least in America 2015 is the first year for GDI in the CR-V.
I have a friend that damaged a 2014 Accord with the 2.5L GDI engine modified for LPG - got the kit from Sweden - he had to replace all the injectors after about 1000 miles - not cheap to do. He also has a LNG Civic that he has the home compressor to fill the tank - he has a switch to select natural gas or propane. He is not a happy camper as he was hoping to avoid the fuel tax with propane. Last I heard, he was going to put the LPG into an older Accord if he can get the tank to fit into the spare tire well. He does not like the CR-V as the tire well is not deep enough for the tank
As far as I can determine there is no dual fuel Honda GDI 2.5L LPG conversion kit on the market. Without petrol (gasoline) to cool the injectors they do "melt" ( they get damaged ). There are LPG conversion kits for the Fuel Injected Honda 2.5L engine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Oh, it's all a mess now. I have several cars, the GDI LPG I am talking about is not a Honda. The LPG runs in the same system as gasoline, plugged directly in the fuel rail. The car does not know which fuel it's running, it's all gasoline as far as the ECU is concerned. The LPG flows through the original injectors in liquid form.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2016 crv lx awd here ......52,000 kilometers . dipstick always reeks of gas even after a fresh oil+filter change . most recent reference point was late dec oil+filter change in which oil was at the full - line afterwards . Since then , I've been checking oil a few times a week and its risen approx 1 centimetre above the full line on some days and 1/2 a centimetre on other days . Its never returned to the full or under line since oil change in late dec .I lease this vehicle and its done in mid-june . I was extremely interested in buying out the lease end value but my head is so clouded with OD information that I'm probably just going to lease something new instead so that I can sleep better at night .

the vehicle runs great , barely broken in which is kinda sad that I'm scared to buy it out .I might ask my sales rep if theres some available extended warranty I can purchase should I change my mind.

I believe the engine in the gen4 2015-2016 crv's is the k24 W (DI+CVT tranny) which was first used in the 2013 Accords

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a used 2016 CR V AWD with the 2.4L engine. The car is great, good fuel economy and good power. I checked the service history and the car was a lease and one owner after the lease. Has 83,500 miles on it now and i checked all the fluids that I could on the vehicle before I bought it, I also purchased a 36,000 mile or 3 year warranty for the power train. Thing is, I keep hearing about this oil dilution problem so.. after I made a trip to Portland oregon and back, same day about 300 miles or so.. I thought I would check the oil. I did what honda recommends In their manual, got engine up to operating temperature and then turned it off and let it sit on a flat surface for 3 minutes. I then pulled out the dipstick, wiped it down and put it back in to get the reading. The level was WAY higher than the full mark, over the arching part of the dipstick even and smelled strongly of gasoline. I then removed the oil filler cap and smelled that, very strong smell of gasoline. I thought this problem was limited to the 1.5 turbo and if I was driving on the highway at around 75MPH wouldn't the gasoline evaporate? I'm going to call the dealer I purchased it from to schedule an appointment but was curious if anyone else with this engine has had similar problems and how it went at the dealer if it was under warranty. This is my first honda and first car I've ever bought that was this new, I love my car and its very nice however I tend to have OCD about my things and the thought of this much gasoline in my engine oil is stressful.

Thanks,

Townsend
This is not the engine with the design flaw, hopefully its a problem that can be repaired at the dealer. Never heard of a 2.4 lt. having a fuel dilution problem.

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is not the engine with the design flaw, hopefully its a problem that can be repaired at the dealer. Never heard of a 2.4 lt. having a fuel dilution problem.
It may or may not be a design flaw, but based on personal experience (including with American Honda ) think I can safely predict the dealer will do absolutely nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.