Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 CR-V in Canada. The vehicle is very comfortable, and I like it so much that I am keeping it in storage while I am living abroad. So, I moved to the UK and bough a 2016 CR-V with 35000 miles 225/60/R18 tires. The vehicle is extremely stiff, you literally feel every bump in the road, violently shake sideways when hitting a pothole, and fell the constant vibration of the road. The model was a higher-end, sportier version that I assumed had some suspension issues. It was very uncomfortable to drive the CR-V in the city and it was literally painful to drive it in the very same subpar publicly maintained national park roads that I had absolutely no problems driving at least a dozen different rental smaller cars like Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Corsa. Honda dealer said there is nothing wrong with the CR-V, everything is the way it is supposed to be, but an hour driving that car is enough to ruin the next couple of days with headaches.
I assumed that the ride quality was so awful because that specific model had lower profile tires and probably sportier suspension. I decided to exchange that CR-V for a more basic model of the same year, 19000 miles and 225/65/R17 Goodyear EfficientGrip tires, hoping that this car would be just like my Canadian CR-V. BIG REGRET! My second CR-V is certainly a lot more comfortable, vibrates less, but it is far from good enough. It is still too stiff. I am literally driving the CR-V with tires underinflated 5 psi below the recommended, sitting in not one, but two gel seat cushions and carrying 150 kg of sandbags in the trunk, just to make the ride tolerable. Also, I am avoiding the places I want to drive in the weekends, and I increased my commuting time by 50% to avoid bumpy roads.
Does anyone have any advices about what can I do besides sell the CR-V and never again buying another? Does replacing shock absorbers with softer ones would solve the problem or do I also need new softer springs? Which brand/model of shock absorbers should I use? I don’t want a wobbly, boring car; I just want a vehicle that rides just like absolutely any other vehicle I ever drove. I recently drove a Honda Jazz (Fit) in the same roads I normally drive, and it was really comfortable. Why can’t my CR-V be something like a Honda Jazz?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts