Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 CR-V Touring...purchased April 1st, joke on me for map update due "early April"?

This is my fifth CR-V (2002 LX > 2006 ES > 2012 EX-L > 2014 EX-L > 2016 Touring).

I bought it on April 1st, and no, this is not a joke. :) I found only one page with any hints to map updates:

http://hondanavi.navigation.com/home/en_US/HondaNA/USD

If you follow the links to 2015 CR-V it mentions that updates for 2016 models will be out "early April".

What are the chances i'll get the updates for free? By "early April", that should me no more than 2 weeks after I purchased the car.

I'd hate to find out I don't get the update, if that happens I may need to exercise my no-questions-asked 30 day return option. ;)

Don

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 15.23.15.jpg

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good God. Have you not been reading this forum? I guess not. Bought a Touring. Complaining in more than one thread already. :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh come on...haha...all I'm saying is the brand new 2016 Touring edition I bought on April 1st has 2015 maps, if the 2016 map update is coming out "early April", I expect to get it for free.

I think that's reasonable. Especially as this is my 5th CR-V, and I'm a 'preferred customer'. Just an observation, and yes, posting multiple threads to get discussions going on stuff I'm noticing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Honestly, i'd expect free updates for everything during the warranty period.

But after seeing the actual '15-'16 Honda navigation software, I think i'll keep my $30 Lumia 640 with free map updates and 500% better navigation software.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well the 15 came out in 2014, and the 16 came out in 2015. (same car) So they'd probably include the maps from the year they came out. They're selling the new ones as an update for the 2015/2016 vehicle, and It's unlikely that they'll be installing them in vehicles still on the lot until the new ones come out in 4 months. The 2017 (fall 2016) models will have the mid 2016 map update, IMO. At least that was how it worked with my previous vehicle (lexus)

You may be able to get the dealer to throw in the update as part of the negotiation process, though. But I suspect they (dealer) would still have to pay for it. Does anyone know how the updates are distributed? Is it a DVD? Flash Drive? Memory Card? USB upload from a phone/computer?

Ideally, ya they should give everyone one free update at the end of the model year :) I vote for THAT! hehe

Rhody

·
Registered
522 Posts
Updates or not. Still the worst system in the business. Waste of money from the start. Only benefit is that you can brag having Nav. And watch the maps change as you drive.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with that, and find it pretty much useless. I personally use Waze on my smartphone. The built in nav is too chatty, complicated, takes odd paths, and lacks features of a live system. (traffic updates, construction, weather, police activity, pot holes, road kill, etc)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Honest to God, it's come down to whining about dumba** map updates ?? Spare me - ecvidently the roads change yearly where you live !! Craig

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so Honda finally updated their site...and I confirmed that the map in my 2016 CR-V Touring is the latest.

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 18.00.49.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same story here. Bought Touring '15 on the last day of 2015, it has 2015 maps (which, as opposed to common opinion, I actually found very usable, even with all respect to Waze which is my second opinion in passenger's hands - but no smartphone can take advantage of second mini-screen on the top, and hardware buttons on the steering). Was told by dealer to forget about free upgrades, but hey it has lifetime traffic! I guess, given the money involved it might be possible to excruciate extra $150 discount from the dealer for someone possessing comparable bargaining skills ;-)

But seriously... did anyone get the new version yet? (2018 pink USB). I wish it were possible to downgrade in case it is worse than 2015, but having no public reviews and official changelogs I am hesitating to shell out $150 just out of curiosity.

Any brave souls out there to share the feedback about the "latest and greatest" ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh come on...haha...all I'm saying is the brand new 2016 Touring edition I bought on April 1st has 2015 maps, if the 2016 map update is coming out "early April", I expect to get it for free.

I think that's reasonable. Especially as this is my 5th CR-V, and I'm a 'preferred customer'. Just an observation, and yes, posting multiple threads to get discussions going on stuff I'm noticing.
I've done some research (I'm a retired librarian) and forum surfing. Bad news: Honda USA abandons CR-V OS upgrades soon as each year's model rolls out the door. Yours was manufactured before the 2016 map update came out, so you are out of luck. More bad news: Honda USA charges around $99 per year per upgrade, a fine profit center for them. No freebies no matter what your customer status is. "'Preferred customers?' Never heard of 'em." I've seen short-term discounts, alas here today, gone tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done some research (I'm a retired librarian) and forum surfing. Bad news: Honda USA abandons CR-V OS upgrades soon as each year's model rolls out the door. Yours was manufactured before the 2016 map update came out, so you are out of luck. More bad news: Honda USA charges around $99 per year per upgrade, a fine profit center for them. No freebies no matter what your customer status is. "'Preferred customers?' Never heard of 'em." I've seen short-term discounts, alas here today, gone tomorrow.
I mean, map updates. OS upgrades? Arn't any.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well the 15 came out in 2014, and the 16 came out in 2015. (same car) So they'd probably include the maps from the year they came out. They're selling the new ones as an update for the 2015/2016 vehicle, and It's unlikely that they'll be installing them in vehicles still on the lot until the new ones come out in 4 months. The 2017 (fall 2016) models will have the mid 2016 map update, IMO. At least that was how it worked with my previous vehicle (lexus)

You may be able to get the dealer to throw in the update as part of the negotiation process, though. But I suspect they (dealer) would still have to pay for it. Does anyone know how the updates are distributed? Is it a DVD? Flash Drive? Memory Card? USB upload from a phone/computer?

Ideally, ya they should give everyone one free update at the end of the model year :) I vote for THAT! hehe

Rhody
When I updated my 2015 CRV's map last year, it came in a flash drive I plugged into a USB port, then went thru some passcode stuff on Intainment keyboard to get the Infotainment system to upload it. Took about 30 minutes, my CR-V in idle the whole time. Flash drive was keyed to my Honda's VIN, so I could not share it (I mean, I could share it, but it wouldn't work in any car but mine.)
Yes, a free yearly upgrade would do wonders for Honda USA's reputation for customer care--which, to me, appears almost non-existant. As I see it, they prefer $99 per owner per year rolling in over making owners happy. Betcha there's cost/benefit studies to jusify that practicice tucked away in corporate HQ, which we peons will never see...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts