Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if this is normal. So when I turn my steering wheel real wide, say, backing out from a spot then turning all the way opposite to leave parking lot, then I can feel that there's "something" in the way when turning the steering wheel, to be exact, it felt a few gears was being turned in the steering wheel path way. That's probably the best description I can think of. I don't need to turn it all the way to feel it, but I can feel it everyday when I back out of my drive way and turn into the road. My old 04 accord doesn't have this at all, even if I turn fully both ways. Note that I am not turning my steering wheel while parked. I always turn my steering wheel while the car is at least moving a bit.

I just wanted to know if this is normal for CRVs. I have to say it doesn't feel "premium" when turning (okay... I know it probably isn't in the premium car category, but my OLD accord isn't either :D )

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do you feel it when you turn the wheel from one extreme to the other with the car not moving forward or backwards. If not then your steering is ok.

Next find a empty parking lot and do tight figure 8s. Do you feel/hear a chattering coming from the rear of the crv. If you do then it may be a problem with the rear differential (may be time to change the diff fluid).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do you feel it when you turn the wheel from one extreme to the other with the car not moving forward or backwards. If not then your steering is ok.

Next find a empty parking lot and do tight figure 8s. Do you feel/hear a chattering coming from the rear of the crv. If you do then it may be a problem with the rear differential ( time to change the diff fluid).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Next find a empty parking lot and do tight figure 8s. Do you feel/hear a chattering coming from the rear of the crv. If you do then it may be a problem with the rear differential ( time to change the diff fluid).
Thanks for your reply!

I just tested turning the steering wheel while parked, and it was smooth. It's raining these few days here so it'll probably be a few days until I can test it. I hope I wouldn't need to change the fluid, as mine only has 4600 miles on it so far!

The turning test during parked get me curious though. Why would it only happen when the car is moving? It isn't terribly bad, but it just doesn't feel quite smooth. Not rough all the way, but definitely at least a bit when turned. I should probably mention that it happens when I change tire direction from, say, right to left, or left to right, but not when I turn from neutral (tires parallel to car body).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Since I'm not there to feel what you are experiencing it a bit difficult say what it may be..

Was your Accord an AWD? Also have you been feeling this since you got the CRV or it is something you have started to notice recently?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I'm having a hard time describing it as well :)

My accord is a FWD model. As for the CRV, I felt it the first day I drove it off the dealer's lot. I got used to it and thought it may be just the way it is until my wife mentioned it to me lately. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask around before I take it to the dealer :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When I had my 2014 AWD out today (same chassis and steering) I tried maneuvering it to create your symptom. I was unable to do it, everything was smooth. Since your CRV is under warranty I would take it to the dealer. I still suspect the differential clutch pack is binding. But would like to know what the dealer finds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts