Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 2016 CRV with 29,000 miles in July of 2019. The B1 service code came on a few weeks ago. Dealer quoted me $115 for this. When my husband dropped off the car they said we should change the transmission fluid for an additional cost of $165. This would have been B3, right? We declined to have it done, and I called and talked to a manager who said the MM system might have been reset when the dealer acquired the vehicle. Not sure I believe this. Should I change the tranny fluid now or wait for the next MM code?
Thanks,
Sarah

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Seems like a way to convince you to have more service work done, which means more money in their pockets. Changing the fluid before it needs to be changed will not harm your CR-V. It will only hurt your bank account.

I've gotten into the habit of writing down the MM codes that appear before I take it in, look up what they mean in the full Owners Manual, and then print two copies of what services I want done when I bring it in. I hand one copy to the service advisor and let them know I have a copy, and that I will not pay for anything that is not on the printed list.

Even with the list, I had my dealer try the "time to change the transmission fluid" by showing me a plastic card with a sample of my current transmission fluid to me while I was in the waiting room, which also had a sample of new transmission fluid. The new fluid was obviously cleaner than the used fluid, but that didn't mean the used fluid needed to be changed. But that's what they tried to tell me. I said no thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 crv with the cvt. It had 31,000 on it when I got it. It now has 43,000 and the trans is bad. The dealer is going to warranty it thank God but I wonder if they would need to if the fluid had been changed. I am going to change the trans fluid every 20,000 now and hope for the best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems like a way to convince you to have more service work done, which means more money in their pockets. Changing the fluid before it needs to be changed will not harm your CR-V. It will only hurt your bank account.

I've gotten into the habit of writing down the MM codes that appear before I take it in, look up what they mean in the full Owners Manual, and then print two copies of what services I want done when I bring it in. I hand one copy to the service advisor and let them know I have a copy, and that I will not pay for anything that is not on the printed list.

Even with the list, I had my dealer try the "time to change the transmission fluid" by showing me a plastic card with a sample of my current transmission fluid to me while I was in the waiting room, which also had a sample of new transmission fluid. The new fluid was obviously cleaner than the used fluid, but that didn't mean the used fluid needed to be changed. But that's what they tried to tell me. I said no thanks.
Who knows if it was a sample of Your fluid. Wait for MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I'm having an issue now at 36k miles where there's an audible, but not loud whistle/whine while driving in low gear. Goes away when I get up to 30mph. Is this normal or a sign of transmission fluid in need of a flush, or some other issue?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 2016 crv with the cvt. It had 31,000 on it when I got it. It now has 43,000 and the trans is bad. The dealer is going to warranty it thank God but I wonder if they would need to if the fluid had been changed. I am going to change the trans fluid every 20,000 now and hope for the best.
Dealer has to warranty it under the drivetrain warranty unless you were negligent and tried to modify the transmission or do something crazy to the engine/trans.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I'm having an issue now at 36k miles where there's an audible,
It looks like 2016's have CVT's, and I have no personal experience with them, but maybe a fluid change is in order (drain and fill). If you or someone you know can do oil changes at home, this won't be any harder.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Check the transmission fluid. After you drive it, put it in P or N and shut it off. Check the hot range and if it looks black, change it. If it looks red, it's good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 2016 CRV with 29,000 miles in July of 2019. The B1 service code came on a few weeks ago. Dealer quoted me $115 for this. When my husband dropped off the car they said we should change the transmission fluid for an additional cost of $165. This would have been B3, right? We declined to have it done, and I called and talked to a manager who said the MM system might have been reset when the dealer acquired the vehicle. Not sure I believe this. Should I change the tranny fluid now or wait for the next MM code?
Thanks,
Sarah
2016 crv awd ex and bought used 25k miles just did a dump and fill on my cvt, it's simple to do. Ran it up on ramps, 3/8 breaker to remove plug. Drained into graduated 2 gallon paint bucket from Menards, got 4 quarts out of it. Put 4 new quarts of Amalie universal cvt synthetic fluid back in it, very simple job. Simple job don't over think it. And NO it hasn't blown up because I didn't use genuine Honda fluid. Do it once a year, it's cheap and simple.

·
Registered
148 Posts
if the recall for the cvt was not done or not done quick enough by previous owner the belt would have slipped and codes would have been stored. In this case the owner would still be eligible for the transmission replacement. The transmission failure would have nothing to do with the fluid change-it has to do with the algorithm of "slipping" up and down the pullys and trying to transmit too much torque allowed in previous version of CVT software.
That being said-I changed my fluid at 30k mark-2016 FWD SE. it was starting to shake in gear at stop lights besides other more minor symptoms. The fluid was very dark in color and smelled burned. The drain and refill helped the shakes and also the audible "thunk" when going in reverse. In my case I plan on replacing the cvt fluid every 25-30k miles. Its fast and easy to do at home.
For reference:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks,
Sarah
Sarah, just had my transmission fluid changes at 50k miles. Dealer said it would go till 72k no problem Honda specified oil plus half an hour in the garage, around £50 (100 dollars)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read about some of the problems with the CVT, not that is was a massively widespread problem but it wouldn't hurt to put new fluid in. So I went ahead and changed out the fluid at 40,000 and the rear differential. This was by choice, I bought the car used and just wanted all new fluids. It is super simple to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if the recall for the cvt was not done or not done quick enough by previous owner the belt would have slipped and codes would have been stored. In this case the owner would still be eligible for the transmission replacement. The transmission failure would have nothing to do with the fluid change-it has to do with the algorithm of "slipping" up and down the pullys and trying to transmit too much torque allowed in previous version of CVT software.
That being said-I changed my fluid at 30k mark-2016 FWD SE. it was starting to shake in gear at stop lights besides other more minor symptoms. The fluid was very dark in color and smelled burned. The drain and refill helped the shakes and also the audible "thunk" when going in reverse. In my case I plan on replacing the cvt fluid every 25-30k miles. Its fast and easy to do at home.
For reference:
What recall? I have a 2016 EX with a cvt and I haven't heard anything about a recall. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Edit: I stand corrected, it was a TSB:
Here is the actual TSB:

In essence, if not performed, the belt will slip and cause damage. The new software limits the way high torque is transmitted to prevent such occurrence. If the belt slipped already and caused damage it stored codes (not a check engine light) and the transmission is to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts