Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought the car about 6 weeks ago, can't say the stereo is the worst I've had, but the tuner leaves a lot to be desired, and the lack of working well with my Nexus 6P phone.

Just ordered a pioneer avic-7100nx along with the access hdcc-02 and aswc. I'm told this setup will keep both the rear and side cameras working and retain the steering controls. After this is in I'm planning on changing out the speakers, then adding a decent sub, not a ground pounding, but something nice and tight

Any comments, hope I've got the right stuff so far

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Factory speakers replaced this weekend, IMO good upgrade for minimal cost. Gets rid of a lot of the blan mud from the factory unit. Hope everything arrives this week to replace the head unit next weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hackenfort, you've put in exactly what I plan to do. Any words of wisdom? I'm about to place my order and find a tear-down of the dash.
Did the HDCC-02 also retain your steering wheel controls? From what I've read I need to get
- BAA42 for the antenna conversion
- HDCC-02
and perhaps RP4-HD11 for steering wheel controls although I just emailed the manufacturer to see if the HDCC supersedes the need for the HD11.
I hate to ask ( because it'll just be like showing a kid candy ) but do you have a pic of the head unit installed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My install went pretty good. I used access aswc, along with their hdcc-02 as it's pretty much plug and play. Sound is improved beyond words.

I did loose the compass, and the rear camera only has one view now, the side camera works as it should. Overall I'm very pleased, I just installed a Alpine R12, and it put the system up to what I expected.

IMO I like the AVIX-7100NX but for the price I'm shocked it didn't come with lifetime map updates. The GPS seems very good.

Hiding the GPS antenna and the Sat radio antenna inside the dash worked quite well, I did end up using the microphone that came with the new unit as i read that splicing the factory unit wasn't worth the time

FYI. The stock head unit is only held in place by the two screws and 6 clips, it does take a good tug to pull it out

Best if luck, IMO it was a pretty simple install with the harness/adapters I purchased.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you need an antenna adapter?
Where you able to wire up the USB and HDMI? Are they part of the connector or they just a straight pass through?
Last item - what were the "harness/adapters" you purchased? I'm ordering my stuff now, want to make sure I get everything.

Thanks so much for all the input Hackenfort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just an update. While the axxess hdcc-02 is working the cameras. The lane charge camera is rather bleached out, and now I've lost ability to change the clock. I called support, they were helpful but no solution, I was told that the unit isn't certified for the 2016 CRV and there may be differences.

So at this point I would not recommend buying the axxess unit

Antenna adapter is required, most of the axxess harness was plug and play, just hooking it up to the pioneer harness. I used the USB connectors from the pioneer and put them in the glove box. I didn't hook up the factory ones

And the sound is excellent now the head unit has been replaced along with the speakers and the Alpine sub

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI Metra gave me a new file today to correct the clock adjustment not working and to clear up the over saturated/washed out side view camera

Sorry to report, the clock is still a no go, but the side camera image seems better, still not correct though.

I provided them with my feedback and pictures of the poor side view image

Hard to thing the put this on the market not working properly, but again the dash kit the sell hasn't been updated to match the 2015+ color either

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quick question, I've got mine all installed but am waiting on the USB cables I ordered.
Did you have any issues with the AWSC? I've opened a ticket with them; the volume up/down works but the skip loops and never stops. Also the phone controls don't work.

EDIT - Would you mind sending me the file? I'm asking them also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you perform the pairing make sure you not in ACC mode. I had this problem too, i just tstarted the car, hit the up volume a few times. It worked perfect.

·
Registered
704 Posts
What exact speakers did you get? Would youngest that upgrade alone is worthwhile? I am considering speaker upgrade but nothing else. Everyone in this forum claims a speaker upgrade alone is a terrible idea. Factory amp tuned for crap speakers.

Factory speakers replaced this weekend, IMO good upgrade for minimal cost. Gets rid of a lot of the blan mud from the factory unit. Hope everything arrives this week to replace the head unit next weekend.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would love to upgrade our speakers, too, but I'm not spending 1k to replace the head unit. I'd like to keep the functionality, but improve the sound, without breaking features of the vehicle or voiding warrantee.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I am considering speaker upgrade but nothing else. Everyone in this forum claims a speaker upgrade alone is a terrible idea.
Not me. I always remove the OEM paper speakers in the front doors and tweeter sils. Just make sure the replacement speakers are high efficient since it is not a terribly big wattage OEM amp, even know they claim it is. I find that to be the biggest bang for the buck!

I don’t bother with the rear speakers ‘cause I don’t sit back there.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I too replace factory oem speakers but you do have to be careful when you do. Factory speakers are generally very, very efficient, meaning they need very little power to play pretty loud. When you replace them but not the head unit, which is generally very low powered, you often wind up with problems because the speakers just won't work well with such low power.

As said, make sure the speakers you buy are very efficient when using the factory head unit.

One way to get better, louder sound if you're going to replace the factory speakers but keep the factory head unit is to use an amp with "speaker level inputs". JL Audio makes a very nice compact 4 channel amp that sits behind the factory head unit in the dash, is reasonably priced at $229.00 msrp and produces a lot of power for its' size. Matched with a nice pair of speakers in the front doors and you have a very nice factory "plus" system while keeping all steering wheel controls, etc.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I considered doing that but then found out that my 2013 EXL has an amp unit behind the head. Ugh!!!

I too replace factory oem speakers but you do have to be careful when you do. Factory speakers are generally very, very efficient, meaning they need very little power to play pretty loud. When you replace them but not the head unit, which is generally very low powered, you often wind up with problems because the speakers just won't work well with such low power.

As said, make sure the speakers you buy are very efficient when using the factory head unit.

One way to get better, louder sound if you're going to replace the factory speakers but keep the factory head unit is to use an amp with "speaker level inputs". JL Audio makes a very nice compact 4 channel amp that sits behind the factory head unit in the dash, is reasonably priced at $229.00 msrp and produces a lot of power for its' size. Matched with a nice pair of speakers in the front doors and you have a very nice factory "plus" system while keeping all steering wheel controls, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed Pioneer 6.5 inches 3 Way Speaker TSA1675R just installed this on front doors on 2016 crv Touring. Big difference very clear high, mid and bass no amplifier installed. Very good reviews. Used self tapping screws and wire tap. 3 screw holding the door. 2 behind a small plastic plate at door opener 1 underneath a rubber piece door well/handle photos below. On sale at visions.ca $98. Advertised as 2 way but the actual box and speaker is 3 way i did not say anything to the salesman they might change the tag price. On the driverside need to unplug a cable for power mirror so you can rotate the door panel towards the front not otherwise. Need someone to hold the door panel or just like what i did i tie a rope all around the door panel and hang it ( bring down the window before starting your work) on the top door frame dont forget to put a towel or cloth wherever u decide to hang it to avoid scratch. Now its a live concert. I have a 2 12s behind , sometimes i dont use it because its just enough but sometimes you want more hearth breaking bass right. I hope this will help you guys. If you like this post let me know
or else ita a waste of time

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
How long ago did you complete this installation. Just checking to see, because everybody who's changed only the speakers says they are very disappointed, and a change in amplifier is required.

Installed Pioneer 6.5 inches 3 Way Speaker TSA1675R just installed this on front doors on 2016 crv Touring. Big difference very clear high, mid and bass no amplifier installed. Very good reviews. Used self tapping screws and wire tap. 3 screw holding the door. 2 behind a small plastic plate at door opener 1 underneath a rubber piece door well/handle photos below. On sale at visions.ca $98. Advertised as 2 way but the actual box and speaker is 3 way i did not say anything to the salesman they might change the tag price. On the driverside need to unplug a cable for power mirror so you can rotate the door panel towards the front not otherwise. Need someone to hold the door panel or just like what i did i tie a rope all around the door panel and hang it ( bring down the window before starting your work) on the top door frame dont forget to put a towel or cloth wherever u decide to hang it to avoid scratch. Now its a live concert. I have a 2 12s behind , sometimes i dont use it because its just enough but sometimes you want more hearth breaking bass right. I hope this will help you guys. If you like this post let me know
or else ita a waste of time

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
14 Participants
RMattisonB
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing