Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key fob battery is fine, but my car battery is dead after not being moved for several weeks. I cannot open the car door using the actual key or fob. Is there anyway to open the car or at least the hood from the outside so I can get it jumped? It makes no sense why the key won't open the driver's side door. Help. Stuck without a ride for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The actual, metal key located inside of your FOB won't unlock the door? Did you try turning it in BOTH directions? What about the passenger door? Sorry for the "stupid" questions, but something here is NOT right! Have you replaced the FOB at any time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The key fob batteries were both replaced last month. They light up. I only have the actual key lock on the drivers door. When I put the key in and turn (tried in both directions) nothing happens. I've never tried the key in the door before this incident, but it seems awful the key doesnt work and I have no way on my own to get in to open the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, my battery is dead and sounds like my door lock isnt functioning either :-( Epic fail.

·
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Gen 4 section. Misc, is for issues that cannot be otherwise classified only.

I can't imagine the mechanical key lock not working. Sure you're doing it right? Maybe try again. Car is not old enough for lock to be stiff. That takes 20 years or so minimum. Make sure key is inserted to the right depth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can always use a plastic shim/blood pressure cuff under the upper right corner on the door and then a coat hanger or stiffer heavier gauge wire to pull on the handle. I would try the key again though. If you are the original owner/ remote was never replaced the key must open the lock.
just my $.02

·
Registered
11 Posts
My key fob battery is fine, but my car battery is dead after not being moved for several weeks. I cannot open the car door using the actual key or fob. Is there anyway to open the car or at least the hood from the outside so I can get it jumped? It makes no sense why the key won't open the driver's side door. Help. Stuck without a ride for now.
mine did this the other day and I found out 2clicks on fob enabled deadlocking and no way of getting in . I went under front and accessed the hood mechanism from below and with someone else pressing on hood and me working the mechanism with a 2 ft long screwdriver the hood popped up then could be jumped started . honda can get into the car but will not divulge . I have looked and can find no other way in . maybe someone else can shed light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can always use a plastic shim/blood pressure cuff under the upper right corner on the door and then a coat hanger or stiffer heavier gauge wire to pull on the handle. I would try the key again though. If you are the original owner/ remote was never replaced the key must open the lock.
just my $.02
I think if the car has been dead locked then the key will not work also the coat hanger pulling on the interior handle will not work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The interior Front door handles "are designed to open in one motion" (from manual) in other words it MUST override the locking. So pulling on it should unlock the car. Unfortunately my wife is at work with the V. Otherwise I would have busted out my old AAA lockout kit and try right now. Will try tomorrow and post here

·
Registered
72 Posts
Big Dave, I just went to the car to try. Its a 2016 SE FWD USA version
1.Pressing the remote's lock button once: door open when interior door handle is pulled.
2.Pressing the button twice: door opens when handle is pulled
3. To make sure repeated the same procedure by pressing 3,4 and 5 times on the "lock" button-same result.
Also tried pushing the "lock" button twice and opening with the key. It did work. Except if having power changes something in the mechanics of the door I am inclined to believe that the coat hanger/lock out rod and blood pressure cuff will work.Maybe your car is different but in my case It worked.

Edit: Added a diagram which suggests that inner handle should always work no matter of power lock/unlock situation:

Big Dave, can you please give some more detail on that deadlock situation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Big Dave, I just went to the car to try. Its a 2016 SE FWD USA version
1.Pressing the remote's lock button once: door open when interior door handle is pulled.
2.Pressing the button twice: door opens when handle is pulled
3. To make sure repeated the same procedure by pressing 3,4 and 5 times on the "lock" button-same result.
Also tried pushing the "lock" button twice and opening with the key. It did work. Except if having power changes something in the mechanics of the door I am inclined to believe that the coat hanger/lock out rod and blood pressure cuff will work.Maybe your car is different but in my case It worked.

Edit: Added a diagram which suggests that inner handle should always work no matter of power lock/unlock situation:

Big Dave, can you please give some more detail on that deadlock situation?
in uk we call double locking dead locking if the battery is dead or not got enough charge then the lock cannot release to enable entry kurbel your locks will possibly differ from uk same as trim specs mine is a ex-l and mine have dead locking the only way I can get the key to work is to only press fob once so locking but not dead locking . hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
to OP, have you had the situation resolved? If yes, how? Will be good for the community to know should we get into the same predicament.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
to OP, have you had the situation resolved? If yes, how? Will be good for the community to know should we get into the same predicament.
Thanks
I don't know if this is how to post this as I am new. My 2015 crv had the same problem. after multiple tries with the remote it opened. but if you had someone open the door from aaa etc here is what I found. the key lock was installed incorrectly from the factory. I originally took the door apart and used an inspection camera but can be fixed without doing that. There is a round plastic cover beside the key hole on the side of the door. there is a 10mm head screw that needs removed and the lock removed. inside the door looks like a funnel and when installed should have gone in place. mine was under when reinstalling angle the rod slightly up and it will go in correctly. now the key will work.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts