Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is a picture of the lock. the tip on the right inserts into the lock mechanism. this shows with the colored cover off but stays on to remove and reinstall to solve the problem

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
My key fob battery is fine, but my car battery is dead after not being moved for several weeks. I cannot open the car door using the actual key or fob. Is there anyway to open the car or at least the hood from the outside so I can get it jumped? It makes no sense why the key won't open the driver's side door. Help. Stuck without a ride for now.
Don't you have a key in the fob for just this reason?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My key fob battery is fine, but my car battery is dead after not being moved for several weeks. I cannot open the car door using the actual key or fob. Is there anyway to open the car or at least the hood from the outside so I can get it jumped? It makes no sense why the key won't open the driver's side door. Help. Stuck without a ride for now.
Wow! You got me thinking so I just went out and tried my 2018 CRV key and it worked just fine. Door opened right up no problem. Only the drivers door has a key lock. By the way I replaced my car battery in Jan 2020 just to be on the safe side with everything dependent on electric.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pull the key fob apart. There should be a key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WHY CAN'T YOU OPEN YOUR DOOR "MANUALLY" WITH THE KEY INSIDE OF THE KEY FOB? YOU SIMPLY SLIDE IT OUT AND UNLOCK YOUR DOOR, NO???

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the exact same experience with my 2018 Touring. Took out the key from inside the fob and it would not open the door. Checked that both sides looked the same, and to me they did. Tried and tried, until in frustration, I turned the key around (longer bit of plastic on the back facing up instead of down. Surprise!!! It worked. So despite the key looking like it should work either way up, apparently it doesn't. It was totally dead, so when I got it started with my booster box, every electronic aid complained it was defective. As I drove, the lights went out one by one and all was fine. Had the battery replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V SE
5 Posts
My only thought is maybe the door locks are electronically operated (even with the physical key cylinder) and if the car battery is totally dead, there isn't even enough juice for when you turn the key to unlock it.
I have a 2011 and while it's the previous generation, this appears to be the case with mine. Never had my battery dead so I can't be positive, but I know if i turn it right twice it unlocks all doors so there must be some kind of electrical handling somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My only thought is maybe the door locks are electronically operated (even with the physical key cylinder) and if the car battery is totally dead, there isn't even enough juice for when you turn the key to unlock it.
I have a 2011 and while it's the previous generation, this appears to be the case with mine. Never had my battery dead so I can't be positive, but I know if i turn it right twice it unlocks all doors so there must be some kind of electrical handling somewhere.
That kind of makes absolutely no sense at all. The purpose of having a physical key going into a lock cylinder is so you can mechanically move the lock lever on the door latch so that the door can be opened. If it's connected to an electric switch to operate an actuator, that's so stupid I can't imagine ANY company designing it that way. All door locks I've ever worked on were mechanically linked between the lock cylinder and the door latch. Lock actuators are either attached to or are built into the latch assembly for the power lock functions. The entire reason for giving you a physical key is so that IF the electric lock system fails for whatever reason (lock system failure or dead battery) you can unlock the door and enter the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V SE
5 Posts
That kind of makes absolutely no sense at all. The purpose of having a physical key going into a lock cylinder is so you can mechanically move the lock lever on the door latch so that the door can be opened. If it's connected to an electric switch to operate an actuator, that's so stupid I can't imagine ANY company designing it that way. All door locks I've ever worked on were mechanically linked between the lock cylinder and the door latch. Lock actuators are either attached to or are built into the latch assembly for the power lock functions. The entire reason for giving you a physical key is so that IF the electric lock system fails for whatever reason (lock system failure or dead battery) you can unlock the door and enter the vehicle.
I agree, it's incredibly dumb! But I can't think of any other reason. Like I said there definitely is some kind of electrical involvement, so its not too far-fetched for that.
The only other thing I can think of is that OP has the wrong key. Someone else in this thread mentioned that the key is not actually reversible (despite looking like it is) so that might be the issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The actual, metal key located inside of your FOB won't unlock the door? Did you try turning it in BOTH directions? What about the passenger door? Sorry for the "stupid" questions, but something here is NOT right! Have you replaced the FOB at any time?
Passenger door have no external lock to insert the key.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After reading this story it may be a good idea for any of those people who haven't yet tried to use the physical key to open the car to try doing so today to make sure it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does back hatch have a key lock? -Love my '02 CR-V.
It has 2 keys, both work in the ignition, 1 works in the doors.

·
2,805 Posts
No key locks on hatches after Gen 2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi,
If the transmission in an automatic and the transmission is in PARK then...get underneath the thing with a fresh battery and jumper cables, locate the starter motor and you will find the cable from the positive on the battery, connect the positive led you have in you hand to the + lead on the starter motor then find a clean spot on the chassis and connect the negative lead you have in your hand. You will now have 12+ volts on the security system and your key button should work! .
if you don't have a fresh battery then connect a battery charger as described above...give it an hour or so to get some +ions into the battery then try you key....
good luck

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree, it's incredibly dumb! But I can't think of any other reason. Like I said there definitely is some kind of electrical involvement, so its not too far-fetched for that.
The only other thing I can think of is that OP has the wrong key. Someone else in this thread mentioned that the key is not actually reversible (despite looking like it is) so that might be the issue.
if you turn key once you feel drivers door unlock? Twice can involve electrical.
unhook neg battery with drivers window down and try key then.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts