Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tried key in my US model 2019 V Touring after reading this discussion. Double locked vehicle (kept fob away after that), rotated key clockwise and felt mechanical movement of something inside the door and the door unlocked. Repeated several times, and with the key "up" or"down". Clockwise unlocks door from a "double lock". Also examination of my key showed no discernible difference between the two sides. Again, mine is 2019 US model

·
2,811 Posts
This is definitely a completely different mechanical setup from how the key lock cylinder connects to the door actuator in my Gen 3. But I can see, based on how this would assemble on the assembly line, how it could accidentally be inserted in a way that it would not line up. One of those things you will also only learn the hard way! Aargh!

On the lack of a key lock in the rear hatch - IMO this is a safety issue and a definite fail for Honda, as most people keep safety equipment in the rear cargo area, such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits, flares or triangles, tools, flashlights, etc. If you are in a front collision and power is lost, you not only can't unlock other doors, you also cannot open the rear hatch to get to the stuff you need in an emergency. There is no emergency alternative, either, so you're just screwed. This can and I expect has caused dangerous situations to be made worse. This is far more important than a simple security issue. Honda seriously needs to provide some sort of backup mechanical release, or just add the damn key lock. Otherwise, the risks include fire, trapped passengers, and a bunch of other safety issues. I consider this to be negligence on Honda's part, and there is no excuse for it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is definitely a completely different mechanical setup from how the key lock cylinder connects to the door actuator in my Gen 3. But I can see, based on how this would assemble on the assembly line, how it could accidentally be inserted in a way that it would not line up. One of those things you will also only learn the hard way! Aargh!

On the lack of a key lock in the rear hatch - IMO this is a safety issue and a definite fail for Honda, as most people keep safety equipment in the rear cargo area, such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits, flares or triangles, tools, flashlights, etc. If you are in a front collision and power is lost, you not only can't unlock other doors, you also cannot open the rear hatch to get to the stuff you need in an emergency. There is no emergency alternative, either, so you're just screwed. This can and I expect has caused dangerous situations to be made worse. This is far more important than a simple security issue. Honda seriously needs to provide some sort of backup mechanical release, or just add the damn key lock. Otherwise, the risks include fire, trapped passengers, and a bunch of other safety issues. I consider this to be negligence on Honda's part, and there is no excuse for it.
Unfortunately, other manufactures do this same thing. Guess leaving out a key tumbler save $$$. That is the bottom line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if this is how to post this as I am new. My 2015 crv had the same problem. after multiple tries with the remote it opened. but if you had someone open the door from aaa etc here is what I found. the key lock was installed incorrectly from the factory. I originally took the door apart and used an inspection camera but can be fixed without doing that. There is a round plastic cover beside the key hole on the side of the door. there is a 10mm head screw that needs removed and the lock removed. inside the door looks like a funnel and when installed should have gone in place. mine was under when reinstalling angle the rod slightly up and it will go in correctly. now the key will work.
RichCRV
Thanks for the post! I've had my 2012 for 6 years now and never tried my door lock, just used the fob. After reading your directions I checked mine , and it didn't work, it was not installed correctly so I fixed it and now it works!
Thanks Again!
67GTO

·
Registered
10 Posts
RichCRV
Thanks for the post! I've had my 2012 for 6 years now and never tried my door lock, just used the fob. After reading your directions I checked mine , and it didn't work, it was not installed correctly so I fixed it and now it works!
Thanks Again!
67GTO
You are welcome

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Unfortunately, other manufactures do this same thing. Guess leaving out a key tumbler save $$$. That is the bottom line.
It also increases security, somewhat. No lock cylinder on the trunk = harder to get in.

Now, on my 2019 Ford Transit cargo van, they added a rear door lock cylinder but removed the one on the front passenger door. My 2017 van didn't have one on the back door but did have one on the passenger door. Neither is necessary with remote lock/unlock standard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I one was to purchase a "new" key-fob, does it come with a new physical key? if so, would it then be possible, that either the original poster, or the seller of his/her vehicle, replaced (for whatever reason) the key-fob and had it programmed for his/her vehicle, but failed to have the new physical key cut to match the vehicle, or simply "forgot" to switch them out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I one was to purchase a "new" key-fob, does it come with a new physical key? if so, would it then be possible, that either the original poster, or the seller of his/her vehicle, replaced (for whatever reason) the key-fob and had it programmed for his/her vehicle, but failed to have the new physical key cut to match the vehicle, or simply "forgot" to switch them out?
a new key fob comes with a new key but it is a blank with no grooves . if they bought it used the key with it wont work. compare to the 2nd key fob key. an easy answer is if the key goes in and turns it is ok . mine turned but found it was not in place inside the door properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have a 2016 Honda CR-V with draining problem coming from the fuse #29 backup.
Does anybory have the same problem?
I WILL NOT BUY A HONDA ANYMORE!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I Have a 2016 Honda CR-V with draining problem coming from the fuse #29 backup.
Does anybory have the same problem?
I WILL NOT BUY A HONDA ANYMORE!
Think we have seen a backup drain. If I recall the switch was bad in the gate and light and or circuitry was staying energized

What kind of draw are you seeing ? .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Think we have seen a backup drain. If I recall the switch was bad in the gate and light and or circuitry was staying energized

What kind of draw are you seeing ? .
Thanks.
Tomorrow will be my second time in the shop dealer.
Hope they finally fixed.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts