Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DAY 1 (PLAN TO REPLACE MY 2016 CRV EX RADIO AFTER 3 YEARS OF WAITING):
I have been searching all over the internet for the 2016 crv radio upgrade with an aftermarket applecarplay/android auto capable radios.
So far i found some radio upgrades on older crv models with no lanewatch. The concern would be how to choose for an aftermarket radio and accessories that would be able to retain the lanewatch camera functionalities of the stock radio.
There may be some scattered information all over the internet - but for anybody who have a 2016 crv ex with lanewatch - this radio install journey of mine might help you if you plan to upgrade your radio as well.
I will be posting my experiences here, methods, tools and problems so that you will have an idea on the challenges and complexities before upgrading your radios.
I already replaced radios on my four hondas and each of them have their own quirks and challenges (dependent on the type of aftemarket radio selected and the vehicle).
With this experience, my only worry is how to get the lanewatch functionalities to be retained on my 2016crv aftermarket radio.
Some lessons learned:
1) steering wheel control retention (radio control) - this functionality needs effort to work:
a) sony radios have a good interface for steering controls on older hondas (my element07,crv07,civic08). it could read and save the resistive type of steering wheel control buttons (no need for a separate steering wheel control module).
b) jvc/kenwood radios - need a separate steering wheel control module for steering wheel control functionalities even with plain resistive buttons
2) steering wheel control retention (hands free/voice control) - more challenging/complex:
a) new hondas with bluetooth (my civic13) - you need a separate steering wheel control module since the hands free buttons are digital and not analog (resistive network)

Note- on steering wheel control modules - sometimes they lose the save button assignments when replacing your car batteries. Place this module in an easily accessible area - to facilitate reprogramming if they lose their saved settings. also include aa written procedure on the steps on how to reprogram these modules since there will be another learning curve to reprogram these modules after you install them for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Meastro RR module should facilitate all of this. I posted a thread recently on my after market radio install using one of these. Unfortnately although I can see see the LaneWatch cam, I cannot get the lanewatch cam to show up when I turn on the turn signal. Personally I don't miss it at all, but I suspect you'll need a specific radio with extra cam trigger inputs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for sharing your experience. could you provide me the link to your previous posts?
Since i already bought the metra axxess Hdcc-02 harness, i will try to go this route. But i'm open to purchasing the idatalink option (although a bit expensive) if I could not make the metra axxess to fully retain most of the stock radio functionalities - steering wheel controls, handsfreelink controls, lanewatch etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE#2 01-13-2020 (Basic setup - power up, speaker connection, wireless carplay and android auto setup testing/ configuration).
1) Powered up the radio on a temporary setup using an old battery paralled with a charger
2) connected speakers and a subwoofer with amp
3) setup my android phone wirelessly
4) the kenwood radio is capable of saving two(2) default phones for wireless carplay/ and or android auto.
i set up my android phone and my wifes iphone - every time you want to use carplay or AAuto, just push the button in the home screen and the default phone would be connected wirelessly.

see photos below.
next, i am checking all the wires in the metra axxess harness and comparing it with the radio wire harness and honda wiring info. checking on how to interface the steering wheel control audio controls and hands free link controls

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link. I'll visit it once in a while for new posts regarding lanewatch retention.
the metra axxess has instructions regarding lanewatch extra settings.
pushing the lanewatch button toggles the turn signal trigger. maybe this is your missing link. but beware pushing it longer would trigger the lanewatch aiming sequence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for the link. I'll visit it once in a while for new posts regarding lanewatch retention.
the metra axxess has instructions regarding lanewatch extra settings.
pushing the lanewatch button toggles the turn signal trigger. maybe this is your missing link. but beware pushing it longer would trigger the lanewatch aiming sequence.
I'll give this a shot, but I don't have one of these in my setup, everything including the cameras and steering wheel controls goes through the Meastro RR

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just read the idatalink extra settings regarding lanewatch - before removal of the oem radio, you have to verify that the lanewatch is turned on on turn signal on the oem settings/camera/lanewatch settings. But i think the short cut to that without the oem radio is the button push for a few seconds. just my guess

·
Registered
27 Posts
i just read the idatalink extra settings regarding lanewatch - before removal of the oem radio, you have to verify that the lanewatch is turned on on turn signal on the oem settings/camera/lanewatch settings. But i think the short cut to that without the oem radio is the button push for a few seconds. just my guess
Yeah I tried this, I know my lanewatch was on before removing the OEM radio, however it hasn't worked since installing the new radio. I did try holding the button for 15 seconds twice with no results. If I had to guess even though my radio supports iDataLink, it doesn't implement every feature, which would explain it in this case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Week2 (honda crv 2016 ex no nav size 7 screen):
Since I already bought the axxess HDCC-02 harness, i proceeded using the metra axxess system instead of the idatalink maestro rr. (My goal is just to have the lanewatch functions retained, no need for fancy gauges, etc)
Proceeded with the following:
1) Performed point to point checking of the axxess hdcc-02 wiring harness comparing it with the honda connector pin diagrams.
A) Findings (this changes were made when using the axxess HDCC-02 wiring harness as-is yielded unsatisfactory results)
i. Axxess Harness A 24P - has all the required points (e.g. power, speaker)
ii. Axxess Harness C 20P:
a) Pin 11 - parking brake not present (use extra pin below to repin #11 to access parking brake point)
b) three extra wires in pin 6, 17 & 18 (for aux-in ) not applicable to my crv2016
c) Pin 12 HFT(hands free) remote switch point is available in this connector) - no need to go the pin 15 of the bluetooth module to connect this feature
d)
iii. Axxess Harness G 24 pins
a) Pin 7 - reverse signal not present (move extra pin 17 to pin 7 to access reverse signal)
b) Pin 17 - extra wire in axxess harness but not in honda connector assignment

2) THe axxess HDCC-02 was installed as-is and it work intermittently and video quality was bad: that is:
A) the lane watch camera works with the right turn signal and lane watch button push.
B) the rear camera works when backing up
C) however, video was bad on both
D) hdcc-02 implement the lanewatch and rear camera function by using only one video out going into the rear camera input of the radio; it switches the lanewatch and reverse camera depending on the triggering signal; i.e. if lanewatch signal is present it outputs lanewatch camera on the screen and same if reverse signal is present, rear camera is outputted into the screen. hdcc-02 also has an output connected to the reverse input of the radio - this always activates whether a lanewatch or reverse trigger is present. this works, but i think the video switcher is low quality since i am getting a hazy video output for both.

3) So contingency plan was to modify the harness and bypass axxess hdcc-02 video switcher and connect lanewatch and rear camera video directly to the radio. THis will give me both cameras except the lanewatch will be activated by pushing the cam button on the radio instead of the signal turn/button. I was planning to get a good video switcher to retain the lanewatch activated thru turn signal - but i decided that it was ok activating lanewatch camera using the radio cam button,'
A) with this plan, i modified the harness as described in item#1 above.
B) bypass the axxess video switcher by adding RCA plugs for both rear and lanewatch - see photo below

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody interested on hacking the stock radio to solve the fish eye view on the rear view camera after an aftermarket radio replacement?
This is for my 2016 crv ex (maybe a bit different for other year and models).

problems to be solved:
1. fish eye to normal views/wide/top
2. dynamic lane --???

see link of posts here -----> link to fish eye problem on rear view camera

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts