Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAY 1 (PLAN TO REPLACE MY 2016 CRV EX RADIO AFTER 3 YEARS OF WAITING):
I have been searching all over the internet for the 2016 crv radio upgrade with an aftermarket applecarplay/android auto capable radios.
So far i found some radio upgrades on older crv models with no lanewatch. The concern would be how to choose for an aftermarket radio and accessories that would be able to retain the lanewatch camera functionalities of the stock radio.
There may be some scattered information all over the internet - but for anybody who have a 2016 crv ex with lanewatch - this radio install journey of mine might help you if you plan to upgrade your radio as well.
I will be posting my experiences here, methods, tools and problems so that you will have an idea on the challenges and complexities before upgrading your radios.
I already replaced radios on my four hondas and each of them have their own quirks and challenges (dependent on the type of aftemarket radio selected and the vehicle).
With this experience, my only worry is how to get the lanewatch functionalities to be retained on my 2016crv aftermarket radio.
Some lessons learned:
1) steering wheel control retention (radio control) - this functionality needs effort to work:
a) sony radios have a good interface for steering controls on older hondas (my element07,crv07,civic08). it could read and save the resistive type of steering wheel control buttons (no need for a separate steering wheel control module).
b) jvc/kenwood radios - need a separate steering wheel control module for steering wheel control functionalities even with plain resistive buttons
2) steering wheel control retention (hands free/voice control) - more challenging/complex:
a) new hondas with bluetooth (my civic13) - you need a separate steering wheel control module since the hands free buttons are digital and not analog (resistive network)

Note- on steering wheel control modules - sometimes they lose the save button assignments when replacing your car batteries. Place this module in an easily accessible area - to facilitate reprogramming if they lose their saved settings. also include aa written procedure on the steps on how to reprogram these modules since there will be another learning curve to reprogram these modules after you install them for a while.

·
Registered
2016 EX
53 Posts
The Meastro RR module should facilitate all of this. I posted a thread recently on my after market radio install using one of these. Unfortnately although I can see see the LaneWatch cam, I cannot get the lanewatch cam to show up when I turn on the turn signal. Personally I don't miss it at all, but I suspect you'll need a specific radio with extra cam trigger inputs.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for sharing your experience. could you provide me the link to your previous posts?
Since i already bought the metra axxess Hdcc-02 harness, i will try to go this route. But i'm open to purchasing the idatalink option (although a bit expensive) if I could not make the metra axxess to fully retain most of the stock radio functionalities - steering wheel controls, handsfreelink controls, lanewatch etc.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE#2 01-13-2020 (Basic setup - power up, speaker connection, wireless carplay and android auto setup testing/ configuration).
1) Powered up the radio on a temporary setup using an old battery paralled with a charger
2) connected speakers and a subwoofer with amp
3) setup my android phone wirelessly
4) the kenwood radio is capable of saving two(2) default phones for wireless carplay/ and or android auto.
i set up my android phone and my wifes iphone - every time you want to use carplay or AAuto, just push the button in the home screen and the default phone would be connected wirelessly.

see photos below.
next, i am checking all the wires in the metra axxess harness and comparing it with the radio wire harness and honda wiring info. checking on how to interface the steering wheel control audio controls and hands free link controls

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the link. I'll visit it once in a while for new posts regarding lanewatch retention.
the metra axxess has instructions regarding lanewatch extra settings.
pushing the lanewatch button toggles the turn signal trigger. maybe this is your missing link. but beware pushing it longer would trigger the lanewatch aiming sequence.

·
Registered
2016 EX
53 Posts
Thank you for the link. I'll visit it once in a while for new posts regarding lanewatch retention.
the metra axxess has instructions regarding lanewatch extra settings.
pushing the lanewatch button toggles the turn signal trigger. maybe this is your missing link. but beware pushing it longer would trigger the lanewatch aiming sequence.
I'll give this a shot, but I don't have one of these in my setup, everything including the cameras and steering wheel controls goes through the Meastro RR

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just read the idatalink extra settings regarding lanewatch - before removal of the oem radio, you have to verify that the lanewatch is turned on on turn signal on the oem settings/camera/lanewatch settings. But i think the short cut to that without the oem radio is the button push for a few seconds. just my guess

·
Registered
2016 EX
53 Posts
i just read the idatalink extra settings regarding lanewatch - before removal of the oem radio, you have to verify that the lanewatch is turned on on turn signal on the oem settings/camera/lanewatch settings. But i think the short cut to that without the oem radio is the button push for a few seconds. just my guess
Yeah I tried this, I know my lanewatch was on before removing the OEM radio, however it hasn't worked since installing the new radio. I did try holding the button for 15 seconds twice with no results. If I had to guess even though my radio supports iDataLink, it doesn't implement every feature, which would explain it in this case.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Week2 (honda crv 2016 ex no nav size 7 screen):
Since I already bought the axxess HDCC-02 harness, i proceeded using the metra axxess system instead of the idatalink maestro rr. (My goal is just to have the lanewatch functions retained, no need for fancy gauges, etc)
Proceeded with the following:
1) Performed point to point checking of the axxess hdcc-02 wiring harness comparing it with the honda connector pin diagrams.
A) Findings (this changes were made when using the axxess HDCC-02 wiring harness as-is yielded unsatisfactory results)
i. Axxess Harness A 24P - has all the required points (e.g. power, speaker)
ii. Axxess Harness C 20P:
a) Pin 11 - parking brake not present (use extra pin below to repin #11 to access parking brake point)
b) three extra wires in pin 6, 17 & 18 (for aux-in ) not applicable to my crv2016
c) Pin 12 HFT(hands free) remote switch point is available in this connector) - no need to go the pin 15 of the bluetooth module to connect this feature
d)
iii. Axxess Harness G 24 pins
a) Pin 7 - reverse signal not present (move extra pin 17 to pin 7 to access reverse signal)
b) Pin 17 - extra wire in axxess harness but not in honda connector assignment

2) THe axxess HDCC-02 was installed as-is and it work intermittently and video quality was bad: that is:
A) the lane watch camera works with the right turn signal and lane watch button push.
B) the rear camera works when backing up
C) however, video was bad on both
D) hdcc-02 implement the lanewatch and rear camera function by using only one video out going into the rear camera input of the radio; it switches the lanewatch and reverse camera depending on the triggering signal; i.e. if lanewatch signal is present it outputs lanewatch camera on the screen and same if reverse signal is present, rear camera is outputted into the screen. hdcc-02 also has an output connected to the reverse input of the radio - this always activates whether a lanewatch or reverse trigger is present. this works, but i think the video switcher is low quality since i am getting a hazy video output for both.

3) So contingency plan was to modify the harness and bypass axxess hdcc-02 video switcher and connect lanewatch and rear camera video directly to the radio. THis will give me both cameras except the lanewatch will be activated by pushing the cam button on the radio instead of the signal turn/button. I was planning to get a good video switcher to retain the lanewatch activated thru turn signal - but i decided that it was ok activating lanewatch camera using the radio cam button,'
A) with this plan, i modified the harness as described in item#1 above.
B) bypass the axxess video switcher by adding RCA plugs for both rear and lanewatch - see photo below

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody interested on hacking the stock radio to solve the fish eye view on the rear view camera after an aftermarket radio replacement?
This is for my 2016 crv ex (maybe a bit different for other year and models).

problems to be solved:
1. fish eye to normal views/wide/top
2. dynamic lane --???

see link of posts here -----> link to fish eye problem on rear view camera

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Honda Cr-V EX
36 Posts
UPDATE#2 01-13-2020 (Basic setup - power up, speaker connection, wireless carplay and android auto setup testing/ configuration).
1) Powered up the radio on a temporary setup using an old battery paralled with a charger
2) connected speakers and a subwoofer with amp
3) setup my android phone wirelessly
4) the kenwood radio is capable of saving two(2) default phones for wireless carplay/ and or android auto.
i set up my android phone and my wifes iphone - every time you want to use carplay or AAuto, just push the button in the home screen and the default phone would be connected wirelessly.

see photos below.
next, i am checking all the wires in the metra axxess harness and comparing it with the radio wire harness and honda wiring info. checking on how to interface the steering wheel control audio controls and hands free link controls
Hi Obetbalx. and Theguywhobea
Nice work...looks like you have a nice set up there!
With your expertise on the subject, I have a question maybe you could help me with?
I have a 2015 CRV EX 7" screen 6 speaker and it doesn't have an AUX jack!! I am not willing to change out the OEM HU (for aesthetic and cost reasons), so instead, I plan to add a small amp and replacement speakers to improve the sound. Oddly enough, the LX model has an AUX jack!! But the stereo doesn't have touch screen, is rather basic.
My old '08 CRV had an AUX jack which I LOVED! It's a long story why I want this jack. Basically, it's to hook up my iPod so I can use the controls on the ipod itself, rather than the OEM touchscreen. I also used the AUX jack on my 2008 to play the kids DVD sound over the car speakers! Worked nicely.
Can you think of a way for me to add a jack? I am having no luck with Bluetooth transmitters pairing (doesn't find them) and I don't want to use USB since the touchscreen (too slow)
My local car stereo store says they can add a jack for $350. I suspect they will use a direct FM connector like this...

or even
(designed for XM radio, but I just need audio jack hooked up to antenna)

...but I am worried about sound quality (static, hiss, etc) since it's using the FM frequency and antenna. Ditto for those wireless FM Modulator. I want a clean crisp sound.
1) Can you think of a way that I can tap into the OEM HU (other than FM antenna) connections to add an AUX 1/8 jack? I know the older CRV HU had a port for CD changer/AUX.

2) If I must go the FM antenna route, I would like to install myself as I have soldering experience (I have hard wired in my dashcam) and would like to save the $hundreds labor the car stereo shop wants to charge. Fortunately, Honda designed the radio with very easy access to the connections.
Do I need an adapter to add the traditional 1 prong antenna (circled below) plug these FM Transmitters use? You must have had this antenna situation with your Kenwood HU

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Obetbalx. and Theguywhobea
Nice work...looks like you have a nice set up there!
With your expertise on the subject, I have a question maybe you could help me with?
I have a 2015 CRV EX 7" screen 6 speaker and it doesn't have an AUX jack!! I am not willing to change out the OEM HU (for aesthetic and cost reasons), so instead, I plan to add a small amp and replacement speakers to improve the sound. Oddly enough, the LX model has an AUX jack!! But the stereo doesn't have touch screen, is rather basic.
My old '08 CRV had an AUX jack which I LOVED! It's a long story why I want this jack. Basically, it's to hook up my iPod so I can use the controls on the ipod itself, rather than the OEM touchscreen. I also used the AUX jack on my 2008 to play the kids DVD sound over the car speakers! Worked nicely.
Can you think of a way for me to add a jack? I am having no luck with Bluetooth transmitters pairing (doesn't find them) and I don't want to use USB since the touchscreen (too slow)
My local car stereo store says they can add a jack for $350. I suspect they will use a direct FM connector like this...

or even
(designed for XM radio, but I just need audio jack hooked up to antenna)

...but I am worried about sound quality (static, hiss, etc) since it's using the FM frequency and antenna. Ditto for those wireless FM Modulator. I want a clean crisp sound.
1) Can you think of a way that I can tap into the OEM HU (other than FM antenna) connections to add an AUX 1/8 jack? I know the older CRV HU had a port for CD changer/AUX.

2) If I must go the FM antenna route, I would like to install myself as I have soldering experience (I have hard wired in my dashcam) and would like to save the $hundreds labor the car stereo shop wants to charge. Fortunately, Honda designed the radio with very easy access to the connections.
Do I need an adapter to add the traditional 1 prong antenna (circled below) plug these FM Transmitters use? You must have had this antenna situation with your Kenwood HU
View attachment 140894

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance for your help!
I would assume your crv is the same as mine. 16crvex with 7" 6 speakers no amp.
Then for starter, you could start with my posted schematic diagrams. But if you want to have the correct schematic diagram for your car, you could subscribe for 1 day download at Service Express for $10 per day.

i highly recommend you do so since it is a valuable resource and you have 1 day to download all that tyou need for your crv.

prior to this Service Express - i always buy the used/disposed official honda repair manuals (from ebay) for each honda i owned (civic/crv/element etc) - for over $200 per set (3 volumes). so with the Service Express - is really a good bargain.

If you want to add an auxiliary input jack (without changing your HU for your 15crvex) - the only way is:
1) (preferred) to use the one you've shown above
a) wired fm transmitter witch is wired in series with the car antenna
b) i have this on my honda del sol for my add on sony cd changer which was need to be connected to the car antenna
c) sound level and loudness is decent

2) (option - but sound level and loudness not assured) add an amplifier and use one channel for the aux input jack
a) amp would we receiving a high level input from your HU/factory speaker wires (look for an amp with high level input - to avoid buying a separate high level to low level converter)
b) you need an rca to aux jack cable
c) need to adj the amp gain with your specific ipod
d) this setup have problem with impedance matching between ipod and amp input (but since you are buying an amp anyways- no harm to add this input
e) i did this on my element, but using the rca input of the new HU (added an rca to aux jack) - the sound quality was good, but i could not play it as loud as i want (thumping base) but loud enough if you have other passengers

good luck on your install.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just a reminder - if ever you want to go the wired transmitter route - buy a branded and decent fm wired transmitter (i don't know if the branded radio mfr still make this type of transmitter). but if it's cheap - no harm to check them out

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just notice that the wired fm transmitter was for a siriusxm fm - is it the same jack as the standard headphone jack? I think i have one of these and the plug is too small compared to the heaphone plugs.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Cr-V EX
36 Posts
i just notice that the wired fm transmitter was for a siriusxm fm - is it the same jack as the standard headphone jack? I think i have one of these and the plug is too small compared to the heaphone plugs.
Thanks for the response obetbalx Oops! Sirius XM Fm Transmitter arrived with yes....a smaller propietery jack (not the same size as headphone/ipod jack). This has been quite the adventure! I am going to try another Bluetooth transmitter option and see where that takes me.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Cr-V EX
36 Posts
Update! A really good one!!

I found a solution to get an AUX jack in my CRV!! I thought I would share it with everyone.

I use the HDMI input as a source to play audio through a typical 1/8" audio jack!
The audio quality from this box is excellent too! (as good as the USB option)

If you want to do the same, buy one of these....(mine was from Walmart.ca in Canada, but these are found everywhere online. (black or white coloured box)

Walmart.ca

Sold & shipped by YONCENG ZONHE INC
RCA to HDMI, GANA 1080P Mini RCA Composite CVBS AV to HDMI Video Audio Conv
SKU E43237D365F845B4BA860C6AD82E0E4E
Price $26.01 CDN (probably around $20USD)

I simply tuck all the wires and the little box in the bottom of the console. The only thing that comes out of the console is the 1/8" audio cord to connect to my ipod.

Ensure the box you buy has RCA INPUTS not RCA OUTPUTS. You will find online a box looks almost identical but functions differently. You want the audio signal to be an input and the HDMI as an OUTPUT.
It comes with USB power cord. (use one of the outlets in your console)
You will need to buy a short HDMI cable and an RCA cord with a 1/8" jack end for your ipod, phone, mp3 player, portable device.

Simply choose HDMI as a Source on the Honda car stereo.
Note: when the car is moving, many have noted that the HDMI source will not play VIDEO (ie: mirrored with cell phone), but with this box it allows audio! (haven't tested it using the yellow video RCA jack...it might bypass the Honda system and allow video while the car is in motion, which would be great for your passengers! PSA: If it does work for video, beware that you could be charged a distracted driving violation or worse.

There are many people who really want an AUX jack in their 2015-current CRV's and this is a great hack that works!

I am a happy camper! Wire Cable Electrical wiring Cable management Technology
Cable Electronic device Technology Electronics accessory Adapter

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice solution to your ipod interconnection issues.
Have you check your CRVs radio connectivity?
I just remembered that my CRV stock 7" screen radio has the ipod source option.
THis might work with your ipod by connecting the ipod lightning cable to the USB port of the CRV.
If it works, you should be able to control your ipod through the car's touchscreen.

I have a sony nwz-a17 hires mp3 player, i could control my mp3 player - using USB cable/not aux jack - in the my carplay/android auto car radio touch screen (source selector is USB - will not work if i select the ipod); I think if you have an old ipod, you need to select the ipod as a source. Just use your ipod cable and connect it to the radio's USB port.

I have not tried this on the 7" stock radio which i removed. if it works for you, then you have one less adaptor to enjoy your ipod music

·
Registered
2015 Honda Cr-V EX
36 Posts
Thanks for the post Obetbalx,
Yes, the USB connection is how 98% of drivers connect their iPod, but I'm an oddball I guess! Lol
I prefer a 1/8" Aux jack because:
1) I find the touchscreen laggy and not user friendly. (takes several seconds between screens, when I need to be looking at the road!)
2) While listening to an iTunes podcast and skipping through the commercials or scroll back a few minutes if I missed the words...I would have to hold down the skip button on the screen for a long time, and it is really slow at advancing.
3) The tactile response on my old 3rd Gen iPod Nano (wheel) is wonderful and I can skip easier than the Honda touchscreen and do it by "feel" on the ipod (never taking my eyes off the road!)
4) I use the same ipod on walks and bike rides too, so it retains the last position (song shuffle, or podcast spot) exactly where I left it whereas if connected by USB, it resets when you disconnect, meaning I have to spend a few minutes trying to get back to where I left it off last time. (from walk to car, and car to walk)

I should mention the CRV's from 2017 to present don't have CD players and if owners have extensive CD collections or borrow "books on CD" from the library, they can use my set up, get an Aux jack so they can use a portable CD player. I know, I know.."get with the times.... convert the CD's to a USB stick" but everyone has their preferences. Many can argue CD quality over compressed mp3 format until the end of time!

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agree. I still have a ton of CDs.
I converted my daughter's 2007 CRV exl with CD changer to an apple carplay headunit.
it's kind of a waste losing the CD changer functionality.
Good to know your setup worked well for you.(y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts