Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm shopping for either a 2016 CRV or a 2016 Civic. Does anyone here have experience with both cars and which would you recommend? I see a lot of problems but also a lot of positive feedback from this forum about the 2015/2016 CRV (looks like not much difference besides the fixing of the vibration problem). The 2016 Civic is new so not much feedback yet on their problems (I have been reviewing the Civic forums).

Wondering if the 2015/2016 CRV owners here have any suggestion which car I should get.

Space wise, either car will work for me. We have 2 kids so the Civic has enough space. It'll be primarily a commuter car for me, and use for the family on weekends, etc.

The CRV obviously has the benefit of higher seating position and more space, while the Civic looks much sportier and fun to drive, better gas mileage, and better technology (apple/android carplay, honda sensing in lower models, remote start in lower models, digital dashboard, etc).

Thank you for any opinions.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi, I'm shopping for either a 2016 CRV or a 2016 Civic. Does anyone here have experience with both cars and which would you recommend? I see a lot of problems but also a lot of positive feedback from this forum about the 2015/2016 CRV (looks like not much difference besides the fixing of the vibration problem). The 2016 Civic is new so not much feedback yet on their problems (I have been reviewing the Civic forums).

Wondering if the 2015/2016 CRV owners here have any suggestion which car I should get.

Space wise, either car will work for me. We have 2 kids so the Civic has enough space. It'll be primarily a commuter car for me, and use for the family on weekends, etc.

The CRV obviously has the benefit of higher seating position and more space, while the Civic looks much sportier and fun to drive, better gas mileage, and better technology (apple/android carplay, honda sensing in lower models, remote start in lower models, digital dashboard, etc).

As your two children grow, you'll be surprised how much more room they need for themselves and their stuff. Something the size of a CRV is an excellent choice for a family of four and the fuel economy penalty isn't all that much.

·
Registered
25 Posts

We purchased both in mid-December. I have the 2016 CRV EXL and my husband bought the 2016 Civic EX. Both are incredible cars. I like the extra room in the CRV and cargo area. If I had two kids, I'd get the CRV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oranges or Apples? The Civic is a four door compact sedan and the CRV is a crossover SUV somewhere between the Civic and the Accord. My wife upgraded to the CRV from an 07 Fit. The CRV started out as an SUV Civic and now has grown into a SUV crossover between the Civic and the Accord. Other than the interior room and rear seating configuration, the CRV has the same drivetrain as the Accord with the same smooth ride and great handling of the Accord.

I haven't driven the new generation Civic but the CRV is a better driving car than the 2015 Civic.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I have a 2013 CRV and a 2014 Civic. I would suggest with two kids you should probably get the CRV. The Civic is a lot more bumpy on the road and there is far less room. As the kids get bigger they will need more room as well. I don't have kids yet, but when my lease is up on the Civic I'm going to take the V from the wife and upgrade to a Pilot or Highlander since we're going to start a family. The Civic isn't going to cut it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
633 Posts
We loved our 2011 CRV..sold it in Ecuador and now back on the USA.....I'm not positive the CRV vibration issue is fixed....not a $$$$ gamble I'm willing to take. Really pains us in not even test driving a CRV, just don't have the confidence. Why is it that some of the 2015s were fixed, but some still have issues after the "fix" Were going with a 2016 Subaru Outback and a 2016 Hyundai Tucson.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
We loved our 2011 CRV..sold it in Ecuador and now back on the USA.....I'm not positive the CRV vibration issue is fixed....not a $$$$ gamble I'm willing to take. Really pains us in not even test driving a CRV, just don't have the confidence. Why is it that some of the 2015s were fixed, but some still have issues after the "fix" Were going with a 2016 Subaru Outback and a 2016 Hyundai Tucson.
Look into the Subaru's burning oil. I've read that the 4 cylinders are infamous for burning oil and the brand claims that it's normal. I'm not sure about the 6 cylinder though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
CRV or HRV would be the way to go. Cars are not as functional. You get to ride higher up on an SUV, better in weather and easier to get in and out of.

·
Registered
59 Posts
CRV or HRV would be the way to go. Cars are not as functional. You get to ride higher up on an SUV, better in weather and easier to get in and out of.
The HRV is based on the FIT platform and is more of a FIT crossover SUV. You would probably be better off from a room stand point with a Civic sedan.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Look into the Subaru's burning oil. I've read that the 4 cylinders are infamous for burning oil and the brand claims that it's normal. I'm not sure about the 6 cylinder though.
The oil issue has been pretty much solved with the Outback redesign in 2015. I traded in my 2013 CR-V for an Outback due to the VTC actuator metal grinding that Honda couldn't or wouldn't fix and haven't looked back. The Outback is awesome. I have the H6 and it has good power, great AWD and plenty of cargo room plus if you get it with Eyesight, it's an awesome safety system. With all the vibration issues with the CR-V, one would be prudent to do extensive research.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The oil issue has been pretty much solved with the Outback redesign in 2015. I traded in my 2013 CR-V for an Outback due to the VTC actuator metal grinding that Honda couldn't or wouldn't fix and haven't looked back. The Outback is awesome. I have the H6 and it has good power, great AWD and plenty of cargo room plus if you get it with Eyesight, it's an awesome safety system. With all the vibration issues with the CR-V, one would be prudent to do extensive research.
I was going to post about it (Subaru) being rectified..It really bothers me, wife even more so about the Honda Vibration issue as we loved our 2011 CRV, and we really wanted to buy another, and I'm a huge Honda/Acura fan. And I love this forum,which sounds like a lame excuse to buy a car, based on a forum,lol but one gets a lot of helpful info here when it comes to any issues that pop up. Have not bough the subaru yet (in the process), but it drives nice and feels solid..eyesight is awesome, but then again it is a station wagon,lol great forum is Subaruoutback.org Lots of rear cargo room. 2016 Tucson is going to be our 2nd vehicle, very nice, less cargo space though than many of the vehicles in its class, automatic rear cargo power hatch opener, fun to drive and a very nice ride. The mazda cx-5 was nice as well peppy engine, good storage space, but for us it was missing some items other vehicles had in the price range. RAV 4 was decent, much better ride than the last time we test drove it (2011 model) We liked the Hyundai Santa Fe, but we dont need that big of a vehicle, but it was high on our list. The vehicle that probably surprised us the most was the Nissan Rogue..was probably my wifes favorite..Very comfy, fairly peppy, and the rear cargo area could be re-configured many ways, was very neat. But I have read on various forums about their CVT transmission issues, so we are staying away. I suggest just going and test driving vehicles...We just test drove the Subaru Outback and forester just to say we did. Did not expect to love the Outback.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was going to post about it (Subaru) being rectified..It really bothers me, wife even more so about the Honda Vibration issue as we loved our 2011 CRV, and we really wanted to buy another, and I'm a huge Honda/Acura fan. And I love this forum,which sounds like a lame excuse to buy a car, based on a forum,lol but one gets a lot of helpful info here when it comes to any issues that pop up. Have not bough the subaru yet (in the process), but it drives nice and feels solid..eyesight is awesome, but then again it is a station wagon,lol great forum is Subaruoutback.org Lots of rear cargo room. 2016 Tucson is going to be our 2nd vehicle, very nice, less cargo space though than many of the vehicles in its class, automatic rear cargo power hatch opener, fun to drive and a very nice ride. The mazda cx-5 was nice as well peppy engine, good storage space, but for us it was missing some items other vehicles had in the price range. RAV 4 was decent, much better ride than the last time we test drove it (2011 model) We liked the Hyundai Santa Fe, but we dont need that big of a vehicle, but it was high on our list. The vehicle that probably surprised us the most was the Nissan Rogue..was probably my wifes favorite..Very comfy, fairly peppy, and the rear cargo area could be re-configured many ways, was very neat. But I have read on various forums about their CVT transmission issues, so we are staying away. I suggest just going and test driving vehicles...We just test drove the Subaru Outback and forester just to say we did. Did not expect to love the Outback.
Stay away from the forrester - they are famous for their head gasket issues...goes across several generations so they have either not fixed it and/or don't care...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Stay away from the forrester - they are famous for their head gasket issues...goes across several generations so they have either not fixed it and/or don't care...
Going with the fully loaded 2016 Outback. Still tempted to test drive a 16 CRV for our 2nd SUV, but I'm just not a gambler. How long are the fixes going to last? Reading this morning on the "vibration" forum some have stated the fix is not 100%...they still have the issue..so if thats the case..and hey just did the same fix to the 2016s..I'm guessing they will have the same issue

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I was going to post about it (Subaru) being rectified..It really bothers me, wife even more so about the Honda Vibration issue as we loved our 2011 CRV, and we really wanted to buy another, and I'm a huge Honda/Acura fan. And I love this forum,which sounds like a lame excuse to buy a car, based on a forum,lol but one gets a lot of helpful info here when it comes to any issues that pop up.
I came from 20+ years of Hondas so it was tough to switch and tough to let go of the my CR-V after I had it accessorized just how I wanted it, but once I drove the Outback I was impressed. It's just smooth and a solid, heavy vehicle. I've put so many miles on it already because I just want to drive it all the time. I think of it as a sport wagon :D

Obviously I still visit this forum so I understand the attraction to it. It's a great forum. Plus I am always curious if the VTC issue has made any progress, along with how the vibration issue is going.

I'm part of the Subaru Outback forum too so that's a great place as well.

Good luck with what you end up and perhaps will see you on the Subaru forum. I go by JV63 over there.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I was looking at the Crosstrek forum and they're still burning oil. So I guess they may have fixed the Outbacks burning oil issue, but I haven't really looked into it too much. I've had the grind a couple more times, but it's not enough of an issue to make me trade in the vehicle. It's too close to being paid off. People have been getting oil analysis done with positive results.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Subaru has hopefully fixed the oil burning issues, only time will tell. also the head gasket issue, I still hear quite a few instances of head gasket issues in recent year subarus.
Don't mean to bash subaru, I really like their cars but I would rather live with vibration than oil or head gasket issues.
The vibration has been overblown in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Subaru has hopefully fixed the oil burning issues, only time will tell. also the head gasket issue, I still hear quite a few instances of head gasket issues in recent year subarus.
Don't mean to bash subaru, I really like their cars but I would rather live with vibration than oil or head gasket issues.
The vibration has been overblown in my honest opinion.
I keep wondering if it is overblown too....as the wife really wants a CRV,lol But when some people say it feels like constantly driving over rumble strips.......I think the fix is acceptable.....but I guess my main concern is it a long-term fix?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I've had the grind a couple more times, but it's not enough of an issue to make me trade in the vehicle. It's too close to being paid off. People have been getting oil analysis done with positive results.
We each have our own tolerance level for things but that daily grinding was getting to me. It was starting to do it more and more every winter and then as temps were getting warmer it would occasionally do it also. So to me it was getting worse and I only had 25K miles on it when I traded it in.

Can't speak for the Crosstrek other than good friends of ours have one and have had no oil issues. For my Outback, I've had no oil issues either. I check it periodically and it doesn't burn move. I think it definitely helps to follow the break in procedure for Subarus. Maybe other brands don't have a break in procedure but Subaru does and that may have helped in my case.

Good luck with your CR-V. It was tough for me to let go of it but am having more peace of mind and more fun with a 6 cyl Outback. For me it's nice to get in and go and not have that metal on metal grind.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts