Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, we just had a record snowfall here in Newfoundland Canada. Snow in the engine compt everywhere. Went for a drive no troubles after the snow was cleaned out. Came back and parked in -18 celcuis and now it won’t start. I have tried boosting the battery and all you hear is a click. I’m expecting the starter to be frozen but can’t find online where the starter is located to heat up with the heat gun.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where the starter is located on the 2016crv?
Thanks
87BF3F35-6937-4373-B8F9-5C2A1608FF7A.jpeg

·
Registered
291 Posts
Boost does not work because the battery is too low and dropout voltage atthe booster cable is to high. You need to charge the battery longer (at list 15 minutes or more). Best would be if you take battery home and make a full charge.
Most likely starter is good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, we just had a record snowfall here in Newfoundland Canada. Snow in the engine compt everywhere. Went for a drive no troubles after the snow was cleaned out. Came back and parked in -18 celcuis and now it won’t start. I have tried boosting the battery and all you hear is a click. I’m expecting the starter to be frozen but can’t find online where the starter is located to heat up with the heat gun.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where the starter is located on the 2016crv?
Thanks View attachment 137315 View attachment 137315
let me know how it goes i heard a lot problems no crank no star with the crv mine is sitting outsite no crank no star lights work radio but i only hear a click i charge battery ( cheap battery ) and still didnt star now im hoping is a bad ground conection i see alot people replacing battery starter and the problem continues mine was like that then started like nothing happen and then every day started quick untill couple days ago no more /

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boost does not work because the battery is too low and dropout voltage atthe booster cable is to high. You need to charge the battery longer (at list 15 minutes or more). Best would be if you take battery home and make a full charge.
Most likely starter is good.
Thanks, I may try this as welll. Do you know where the location of the starter though? There are a few others in the same situation with Honda’s that’s won’t start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i guess this great Honda ( i dont know where do they get the tittle ( ihad a used only gave me one problem and the car basicaly tell you the problem ) no orries for years now this crv towed tiwce adn going having all kind of electrica meaby the battery are not aproiated for this car and they dont want to admited and give a free better ones ?
location of the starter shoud be right under the engine block almost imposible to touch from the top and from the bottom but you may find your way in left tire all the way and go under stik the long metal piece and hit it once you can see it ( use a good lights under thecar even if is day time and the easy way is taking cover from the bottom if you can lift the car up ( already tried didnt work for me ) keep me update thank s for sharing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried boosting for about 15 mins and nothing. Then I put a 1500 W space heater under the hood( careful not to touch anything that might melt or catch fire). After about 2-3 hours it started on the second try. Not exactly sure what was froze but definitely something.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
you say cheap battery... so it's not the original? Did you go with same 51 size?

·
Registered
10 Posts
th battery are weak the original are freaking weak i saw too many post and 2 mechanis already told me that and specially for you get at least round 600 CCA as long as it fits in your car ( go to a battery store specifitly ) mine is 450 and my Update my car is now working after so many tries so many problems to look for it was in fact the starter ( expensive by the way ) car is running but still have those flicking lights the mecanic told me tried a better battery i have a bad ass stereo and all the luxeries in it so use a lot ? tthank s for your opnions i hope your car gets fix ( my mercedes c230 has way bigger battery and is smaller car and even has 2 batteries that car is strong 10 , 20 degress european car do well in cold weather )

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I tried boosting for about 15 mins and nothing. Then I put a 1500 W space heater under the hood( careful not to touch anything that might melt or catch fire). After about 2-3 hours it started on the second try. Not exactly sure what was froze but definitely something.
Good work. I would guess that the Starter Solenoid was frozen and wouldn't let the starter get battery current.
Then again, perhaps the starter itself was frozen. Tapping them could help free them although they are not that accessible.
Thanks for posting back. Too many folks on here always blame the small battery and it usually isn't the cause unless it is old or faulty or not well charged.
But yes, when using a jumper battery it is usually good to leave the properly jumped jumper battery connected to the vehicle for around 5 min to help charge the weak battery if that battery is almost totally dead.
Most however, have good luck with doing it without waiting. If the engine won't crank at a decent speed, try the waiting method.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
th battery are weak the original are freaking weak i saw too many post and 2 mechanis already told me that and specially for you get at least round 600 CCA as long as it fits in your car ( go to a battery store specifitly ) mine is 450 and my Update my car is now working after so many tries so many problems to look for it was in fact the starter ( expensive by the way ) car is running but still have those flicking lights the mecanic told me tried a better battery i have a bad ass stereo and all the luxeries in it so use a lot ? tthank s for your opnions i hope your car gets fix ( my mercedes c230 has way bigger battery and is smaller car and even has 2 batteries that car is strong 10 , 20 degress european car do well in cold weather )
Flickering lights is usually an indication of a failing or bad alternator,and not a battery problem. Course , there are exceptions to most things.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
291 Posts
The battery is the highest suspect in your case. You need to check condition of your battery with the load tester. In US it can be done in many auto-parts stores for free. I guess you can do it in Canada too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad you were able to get your vehicle started.

I would still recommend getting the battery tested when you have the time. While it is possible that something was frozen that would be in my opinion the least likely of scenarios. I would speculate that the use of the space heater also served to warm the battery to the point that it was capable of providing enough juice to get the car to start.

The cold is a (excuse the pun) a real drain on the electrical system:

" Cold weather is especially hard on car batteries. According to AAA's Automotive Research Center, at 0°F, a car's battery loses about 60 percent of its strength and at 32°F it loses 35 percent.
During cold temperatures starting an engine can take up to twice as much current as needed under normal conditions."

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts