Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, first post, first problem with my CRV.
Just wanted to throw it out here and get your thoughts and reactions about the problem I'm experiencing with my brand new 2016 2WD EX CR-V.
A little background, Living in Chile for the last 9 months, have been on a rental for all this time, anxious about getting my new car.
Lived in Kentucky for the last 20 years and have had mainly Hondas, with a few Saab´s in between....but back to the CR-V.
Got it form the dealer last Thursday, while inspecting the car, looking at the stereo stuff and functions with the car idling, noticed that it was miss firing, commented this to the sales person and he pointed that the vehicle was running on fumes, which it was, and someone was out getting gas for it.
Said and done, a few minute later a guy with a can came and dropped a few "Liters" into it, but the car was still miss firing.
Again I commented this to the sales person who said that it will take some time to settle.
Done, signature, and off I go. Go to the gas station, fill it up and the car seemed to relax and run smooth. No worries, took it off my mind.
Got back to the office and nothing happened on my way back home that I remember off.
Friday, cold start, and there it was again, thinking now about clogged injectors because of how it missed, let it warm out and headed cross the hills. got to the office with a few spatters.
On my way back home, that's when it started to really miss fire. almost shut off twice and no power at all. At this time I was on the phone with the dealer asking them what to do. Set up an appointment for Monday first thing.
During the weekend I drove it minimally with the same conditions I experienced on Friday, so decided not to push it and parked it till Monday.
First thing Monday morning dropped the car at the dealer and hoped to have it back by the end of the day with clean injectors and a tune-up, but to my dismay, I was left on foot to get back home, could not determine the cause of the problem and need it to stay there for cold start tests.
By this time, I was furiously on the phone with Service manager, Sales Manager and Sales Associate, assuming that the car would be done by Tuesday pm.
Next day, after no call from anyone associated to the problem, at noon decided to call directly to service to get the news, nothing yet. I received a call from the Sales manager telling me that I will receive a loaner for a day or two until my car was fixed. By 4 pm I called again, talked to the service manager and received the news. the diagnostic was a stretched timing chain. Only happened once in Honda´s knowledge, but this engine, with 100 miles or less presented a stretched chain. The part will take 15 days to arrive and a few days to be replaced, a total of 22 days without my car.
So, with all of that behind, a diagnostic and repair plan set, now I ask to my self, what kind of problems might his have created for this engine for the future?
This is a brand new engine already messed up by no having a good QA.
The question to all now is, will this have caused other problems, Valve interference (?), or anything else, that might affect the engines performance in the future?
Appreciate your comments and thoughts.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I doubt any valve damage has been done - this happens in some designs when the timing chain breaks, but presumably not when it merely stretches. In any event, this would be noticeable when the new chain is installed.

The only damage I'd worry about is engine break-in. The first 100 miles are pretty important in a car's life; the fact hat your was mis-firing during this time could have prevented enough pressure/vacuum from building in the cylinders to properly seat the piston rings. Plus mis-fires usually result in excess fuel washing down the cylinder wall and diluting engine oil, neither of which are good things, especially so early in an engine's life.

Given that the dealership staff sent you off in a car that was obviously misbehaving and that it will be out of commission for weeks, I'd ask for a replacement car or a refund. No idea how things like this work in Chile, or if your command of Spanish is sufficient to convey distress, outrage, disappointment, what the rest of the ex-pat community will think when they hear, etc. but that's where I'd start. If that strategy doesn't work, the odds are good that things will be fine, but I still think it's worth a shot.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bet it's just a guess. That's not the problem. Timing chains do not stretch. Maybe a little after years and years of use. Red herring. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't buy the "Stretched timing chain" thing for a minute - that just doesn't happen. The whole thing sounds hokey. And any dealer that sells a poor running vehicle like that new off the lot without checking it out is negligent in my book. I guess you might have limited dealer options in Chile, but I'm not sure I would have accepted the car in the first place - that's just a bad omen picking up a brand new vehicle that's misfiring on the lot. I'd do my best to demand a replacement and let them deal with it (and hope you never need them again).

·
Registered
693 Posts
I bet it's just a guess. That's not the problem. Timing chains do not stretch. Maybe a little after years and years of use. Red herring. :rolleyes:
You are fooling yourself if you think that the chain doesn't stretch. Here a side by side pix of a honda timing check. Car had a Crank positioning sensor CEL

I would ask for a new motor since your car is brand new and is already experiencing engine problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt any valve damage has been done - this happens in some designs when the timing chain breaks, but presumably not when it merely stretches. In any event, this would be noticeable when the new chain is installed.

The only damage I'd worry about is engine break-in. The first 100 miles are pretty important in a car's life; the fact hat your was mis-firing during this time could have prevented enough pressure/vacuum from building in the cylinders to properly seat the piston rings. Plus mis-fires usually result in excess fuel washing down the cylinder wall and diluting engine oil, neither of which are good things, especially so early in an engine's life.

Given that the dealership staff sent you off in a car that was obviously misbehaving and that it will be out of commission for weeks, I'd ask for a replacement car or a refund. No idea how things like this work in Chile, or if your command of Spanish is sufficient to convey distress, outrage, disappointment, what the rest of the ex-pat community will think when they hear, etc. but that's where I'd start. If that strategy doesn't work, the odds are good that things will be fine, but I still think it's worth a shot.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.
Thank you so much for your response, will keep posting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comment, we´ll know more in 5 weeks, that´s when the parts will arrive, meanwhile, there are 15 CR-v's of the same model sitting brand new besides mine....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your comments, should have read the signs... but after nine months of renting cars, and all that involves, I was anxious to drive mine..... Besides, it was on fumes, the needle didn't move at all. Will keep at them, now I have my suits running the show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's a difference....
We are working on it, got suits involved, so I'll keep this updated, but it is going to take time,
Meanwhile, they gave me a nice, beautiful and really plain Nissan Quashkai (or how it is spelled) which is not a bad car but I do not like it a bit. The bad thing, is full of their vinyl, so now I'm a mobile billboard for this gentlemen...
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That really really sucks, and running that low on gas is not good for fuel pump and the misfire will over heat the catalytic converter.
I'd get a full emissions test done after bye dealer .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after a few days and phone calls the suits have made their job, and fast. because of a strange situations, strike in the DMV here in Santiago, the car was not registered, so we agreed on a replacement, hopefully by this Friday. on the mean time, I feel like Fernado Alonso or Jason Button, driving around a fully vynilized CRV EXL race car. Advertisement everywhere, even in the gas cap.
They have commented that this car might be travelling back to the factory for further analysis, not so sure of that, I think they will replace the parts and use it as a loaner and then sell it to someone else.
What I have learned, slow down, check everything, trust your guts, and if that does not work use the suits for what they are.
Thanks to all of you for reading this lines and also thanks for your comments.

Cinci_cap!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well, after a few days and phone calls the suits have made their job, and fast. because of a strange situations, strike in the DMV here in Santiago, the car was not registered, so we agreed on a replacement, hopefully by this Friday. on the mean time, I feel like Fernado Alonso or Jason Button, driving around a fully vynilized CRV EXL race car. Advertisement everywhere, even in the gas cap.
They have commented that this car might be travelling back to the factory for further analysis, not so sure of that, I think they will replace the parts and use it as a loaner and then sell it to someone else.
What I have learned, slow down, check everything, trust your guts, and if that does not work use the suits for what they are.
Thanks to all of you for reading this lines and also thanks for your comments.

Cinci_cap!
Glad it worked out - sometimes bureaucracy is your friend. (But it's Jensen Button).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Glad u get a new CRV......I know new vehicles here in Ecuador are extremely $$$$$$...lot of taxes! Which would add to the frustration! Hopefully the new 1 has no issues.....and check for the vibration issue! Huge forum here all about that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts