Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4500 miles on it...terrible drive at highway speeds, car feels like it is floating or getting blown all over road ( even when not windy) feels like it gets stuck in grooves or ruts in road.. I am white knuckle driving the whole time to maintain control. condition is worst when I am on concrete roads with grooves in it, car is wandering in lane. Honda service dept. said that's the way it is, light car, AWD, bad roads, go complain to road dept..I took it to a tire store where family friend works.
alignment, balance and tire pressure all ok. he reduced tire pressure a bit to see if that would help.
any ideas?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
Perhaps your Family Friend can tweak the alignment (within spec) to improve stability. An experienced chassis shop should KNOW how to adjust. (EG, your front wheels could be suffering from 'toe-out' which will cause tram-lining. Also, insufficient toe-in on the REAR wheels could make the rear feel 'twitchy'.)

Of course, the easiest thing to do is to reduce the front tire pressures relative to the rear. Start at the cold pressures indicated on the door-jam sticker in the front tires...inflate the rears to the same (normally, with one passenger you would have two or three psi LESS in the rears). Keep experimenting.

Sometimes, the tires can contribute to the wandering, but that's an expensive guess...

·
Administrator
3,435 Posts
I've got a 16 TRG to with 22k on it now. I haven't felt what you are reporting. Do you get the feeling both with and without all the safety systems on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 16 TRG to with 22k on it now. I haven't felt what you are reporting. Do you get the feeling both with and without all the safety systems on?
One of the Honda service guys did suggest turning off my stability control. A couple of days ago I was in a major thunderstorm/downpour coming thru a mountain road and my car felt totally out of control, so I tried turning off the stability control. Can't say I felt any difference. but I was contending with standing water on the road and semi trucks whipping by.
Ill take it for a ride today and try turning off the lane correction and stability control.

Thank you .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Something is definitely wrong with your car!

4500 miles on it...terrible drive at highway speeds, car feels like it is floating or getting blown all over road ( even when not windy) feels like it gets stuck in grooves or ruts in road.. I am white knuckle driving the whole time to maintain control. condition is worst when I am on concrete roads with grooves in it, car is wandering in lane. Honda service dept. said that's the way it is, light car, AWD, bad roads, go complain to road dept..I took it to a tire store where family friend works. alignment, balance and tire pressure all ok. he reduced tire pressure a bit to see if that would help. any ideas?

That Honda service dept. is not to be trusted! Sounds like he is avoiding warranty work?

I have driven 4 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gen CR-V's, currently have an '07 with 96,000 miles and a '10 with 26.000 miles. None of the 4 has your problem.

It is most likely alignment or tires.

The tire store should have given you a print out of the alignment specifications and where yours is set. We may be able to help if we had those numbers for Camber, Caster, Toe and Thrust Angle.

My '10 had some minor issues after a body shop did an alignment and set toe to compensate for road crown which is not needed on CR-V's. It also had Maximum Camber and cross Camber but still in spec., barely. I purchased some "Service Bolts" Honda provides for adjusting front Camber, had my dealer install all 4, and put both front Camber's at -0.02, Front toe 0, rear toe + 0.08 - problems solved.

It also might be tires. The dealer should find one of his cars without the problem and switch all 4 tires/wheels to your car, and yours to it, and see if the problem moves with the tires.

In previous years and some other vehicles, it was common practice to use 2 to 3 psi lower in rear tires; but, the Gen 3 spec. is 30 psi, at 70º F all around.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
In previous years and some other vehicles, it was common practice to use 2 to 3 psi lower in rear tires; but, the Gen 3 spec. is 30 psi, at 70º F all around.
Note that this spec is for a FULL RATED LOAD. If the vehicle is unloaded (driver only or driver and one passenger) it is OK to run a couple less PSI in the rears.

But, with your wandering issue, I'd go equal all around, and adjust rear pressure two PSI at a time to see if another combination makes the car track acceptably.

Next I'd try alignment (at a shop that knows what they are doing, as I said in post #2) and finally tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THNX, I couldn't upload report so here is info
LEFT FRONT RIGHT FRONT
ACTUAL SPECIFIED RANGE ACTUAL SPECIFIED RANGE
-0.5 -1.3 0.3 camber -0.6 -1.3 0.3
2.8 2.2 3.2 caster 2.3 2.2 3.2
.05 -0.8 .08 toe 0.4 -0.8 .08
12.7 sai 13.1
12.3 INCLUDED ANGLE 12.5

FRONT
CROSS CAMBER 0.2 SPECIFIED RANGE -0.8 0.8
CROSS CASTER 0.5 -0.5 0.5
CROSS SAI -0.4
TOTAL TOE 0.9 -0.16 0.16

REAR LEFT REAR RIGHT
-1.3 SPECIFIED RANGE -1.8 -0.3 CAMBER -1.0
0.11 0.0 0.16 TOE 0.11

CROSS CAMBER -0.3 SPECIFIED RANGE -0.8 0.8
TOTAL TOE 0.21 0.00 0.31
THRUST ANGLE 0.00 0.00 -0.4

Appreciate any help

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
I'd bring the car back to the alignment shop, tell them of your issue, and ask them to set it up like downunder47's was.

That what I meant by an alignment shop that 'knows what they are doing'. Just because it's 'green' on the shop's machine doesn't always indicate that it is optimally set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts