Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any of you experience lkas fasilure? When we took the car home from the dealership on its first day, it was working. Fast forward 3 months, it is sometimes working, sometimes not. Brought it to the desalership to hasve it looked at and answered that the windsheiled has to be clean all the time for the camera to see, also said it depends on the road markings and it has to be clean and clear to be seen by the camera. I dont really get it because the car has been driven to the same road when we first took it home and everything is working. And I dont get it that you always have to really clean the windshield to make it work. any insights guys? TIA.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Are you going over 45 mph when checking it? It does not activate until you hit 45 mph.

It should work fine if the lanes are reasonably well marked. Windshield does not have to be spotless.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sometimes, LKAS surprises me with its ability to operate even with faded or missing road markings - conditions under which I wouldn't expect it to work at all.
Sometimes, LKAS surprises me with its inability to operate even on black roads with bright road markings - conditions under which I would expect it to work perfectly.

I knew and have confirmed that the LKAS is not a substitute for hands-free or distracted driving. Instead, it is a feature that could save lives or prevent property damage under the right conditions, which is certainly better than not having LKAS at all.

LKAS relies on a single camera in front of the rearview mirror. Something I've noticed on my CR-V is that the inside of the windshield in front of the camera has developed a haze during my first two months of ownership (undoubtedly the outgassing of all the chemicals in the interior materials as is normal with all new vehicles). I can imagine the camera's view becoming similar to that of a person with cataracts over time. The problem is that there's no way to clean this area without removing the camera module. The portion of the windshield in front of the camera is not gasketed, airborne contaminants like plasticizers and cigarette smoke are free to deposit themselves in this area.

Frosty2.0, do you or your passengers smoke or live in a very dusty environment where the inside of the windshield in front of the camera may be getting dirty? A friend of mine who is close to several dealer mechanics has been telling of stories where "lot of people" are complaining about the performance (or lack thereof) of some of the features of Honda Sensing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a smoker but I dont smoke inside the car, it doesnt make sense that Honda adds the feature and when in reality it doesn't really function most of the time! I would test going over the road lines when it is safe to do but no alarm or whatsoever feature triggers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure I was going at different speeds and going to the same road as I was driving when I got the CRV out of the lot. It just stopped working. And you cant really have a very very clean windshield all the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had a 2013 CRV back then and decided to get this 2016 because of this feature and of course the other upgrades, now, a bit disappointed with what happend to the LKAS, but overall, it does perform good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had prior experience with LKAS and other Honda Sensing features in my brother's Civic before I bought my CR-V, so my expectations were already established and I wasn't disappointed. However, after almost 2,500 miles I can say the performance is consistent (for better or worse).

Another thing I can say is that I continue to be impressed with this little CR-V. I've bought a lot of new vehicles in my life from a cheap, slow Ford to an expensive, fast Infiniti and everything in between. Much to my surprise, the CR-V has been one of the most enjoyable so far. Actually, it was intended to be a stop-gap vehicle after selling my 2014 Ridgeline with the possibility of buying a 2017 Ridgeline. Since the new Ridgeline has some disappointments that I didn't expect, I might just keep the CR-V for a while. :)

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I'm impressed with the sending features. LKAS tells you when its operating by filling in the lane markings.
The only time it's not worked despite the road markings being good is in heavy rain.
Also noticed it's biased towards the passenger side of the road.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm impressed with the sending features. LKAS tells you when its operating by filling in the lane markings.
The only time it's not worked despite the road markings being good is in heavy rain.
Also noticed it's biased towards the passenger side of the road.
There must be alignment variables from vehicle to vehicle. Mine is biased toward the left of the lane - enough so that things get suspenseful on a two-lane, undivided highways - especially around a curve. It also tends to oscillate slowly a few inches from side to side like a drunk driver if you don't have your hands on the wheel - still safely well within the lane markings, but no doubt suspicious to law enforcement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hate to say it but it sounds like the dealer doesn't want to look into it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If it is saying that, have another dealer look at it. I believe they can hook it up to a computer and look at the logs, to get more details about the failure.

I don't have the LKAS error, but I had a CMBS error one time. (crash mitigation braking system) It was on a sunny day on a country road, and stayed on only for about 5-10 minutes. It never came on again. I forgot to mention it to the dealer for our first oil change, until it was done. They said if it comes back, to bring it in, and to remind them next visit to look at the error logs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I have no error codes on the car, its just that it stopped working. You dont have to turn on anything for it to work right? It is auto on the moment you turn on the car. I find it a big BS saying that the windshield has to be 100% clean for it to function flawlessly. If I bring it to another dealer will I have to pay for the service or will they honor the warranty?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Actually I have no error codes on the car, its just that it stopped working. You dont have to turn on anything for it to work right? It is auto on the moment you turn on the car. I find it a big BS saying that the windshield has to be 100% clean for it to function flawlessly. If I bring it to another dealer will I have to pay for the service or will they honor the warranty?
Well, I think we found your problem - operator error. You have to push the button on the steering wheel to activate LKAS.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Well, I think we found your problem - operator error. You have to push the button on the steering wheel to activate LKAS.
If that's the case Frosty2 don't feel bad. There is a ton of tech on these cars and I'm still learning as well. Honda has good videos on its site.

Hint: if you can see the instant fuel gage in the MID LKAS is not operational.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Actually, you DO have to turn it on each time you want to use it - AND there is a master kill switch. Both buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel. (the top MAIN turns off the whole system, the bottom button turns on just the LKAS - for the current drive) When it's on, you'll see lanes appear on your dashboard. Solid means it is "locked on", blinking or hollow mean that it is not.

It only works when going above 43mph or so.

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You dont have to turn on anything for it to work, it isnt driver's error. hahaha! The lane keeping assist comes on automatically when you turn on the keys and drive, it would beep if you are straying out from your lane. That doesnt work on mine now. No error codes for me, just doesnt work and no beeps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe you what you are saying is the button on the steering wheel. As far as i know, the guy who released us the CRV showed us that it is auto on as you use the car and I have asked it also my question if I have to turn on anything for it to work. He said it is auto.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You dont have to turn on anything for it to work, it isnt driver's error. hahaha! The lane keeping assist comes on automatically when you turn on the keys and drive, it would beep if you are straying out from your lane. That doesnt work on mine now. No error codes for me, just doesnt work and no beeps.
Maybe you what you are saying is the button on the steering wheel. As far as i know, the guy who released us the CRV showed us that it is auto on as you use the car and I have asked it also my question if I have to turn on anything for it to work. He said it is auto.
I think you're confusing LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) with LDW (Lane Departure Warning).

LKAS does NOT automatically come on. Period. "MAIN" has to be on and you have to press the LKAS button on the steering wheel to enable the feature then a whole set of other conditions must be satisfied in order for it to operate. This feature attempts to keep the vehicle centered in lane.

LDW is turned on or off using a button on the lower dash. The setting is persistent. If you turn it off it stays off. If you turn it on it stays on. This feature can operate with or without LKAS enabled. If conditions are just right, it beeps if it detects you drifting out of your lane. If LDW is switched off, it turns on when LKAS is enabled.

If you ignore LKAS and LDW warnings, another feature called RDM (Road Departure Mitigation) is the next safety system in line. If conditions are just right, it will try and steer the vehicle to keep you from running off the road.

If you ignore all that, then maybe VSA, ABS, and traction control will keep you in control. If not, then you're facing possible deployment of the airbag(s).

I highly suggest you read your owner's manual.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you're confusing LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) with LDW (Lane Departure Warning).

LKAS does NOT automatically come on. Period. "MAIN" has to be on and you have to press the LKAS button on the steering wheel to enable the feature then a whole set of other conditions must be satisfied in order for it to operate. This feature attempts to keep the vehicle centered in lane.

LDW is turned on or off using a button on the lower dash. The setting is persistent. If you turn it off it stays off. If you turn it on it stays on. This feature can operate with or without LKAS enabled. If conditions are just right, it beeps if it detects you drifting out of your lane. If LDW is switched off, it turns on when LKAS is enabled.

If you ignore LKAS and LDW warnings, another feature called RDM (Road Departure Mitigation) is the next safety system in line. If conditions are just right, it will try and steer the vehicle to keep you from running off the road.

If you ignore all that, then maybe VSA, ABS, and traction control will keep you in control. If not, then you're facing possible deployment of the airbag(s).

I highly suggest you read your owner's manual.
^^ what he said. You are not understanding the different systems in the car and how they are operated.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I don't think he's listening to the advice he's been given. But I'll repeat and expand what I said a few posts ago.

This is one car where reading the manual and watching the videos on Honda's site are vital if you are to understand how and when the sensing systems operate.

I'm nearly 5 k miles into ownership after seven weeks, and dug back into the online manuals for additional help with the buttons on the lower right hand side of the steering wheel. Hadn't done that before. Added to my knowledge and understanding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts